Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:00 AM

114 posts, read 186,562 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the area and wanted to find out how the nightlife is. My husband and I are young (hes 23 and I'm going to be 22) and we're AA. We like a MIXED crowd when it comes to clubs and lounges. Not all white or black or anything like that. We also like places with an young, modern, hip sort of feel but not to wild... I'm all about ambiance lol... So far it looks like we would like Dragonfly, PM Nightlife Lounge, and Candleroom... but do those places draw a mixed crowd? and are there some other places that may be good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 08:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,845,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineDS07 View Post
I'm relocating to the area and wanted to find out how the nightlife is. My husband and I are young (hes 23 and I'm going to be 22) and we're AA. We like a MIXED crowd when it comes to clubs and lounges. Not all white or black or anything like that. We also like places with an young, modern, hip sort of feel but not to wild... I'm all about ambiance lol... So far it looks like we would like Dragonfly, PM Nightlife Lounge, and Candleroom... but do those places draw a mixed crowd? and are there some other places that may be good?
Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, and Addison all draw mixed crowds and are not pretentious like the stereotype. Some clubs in these areas moreso than others. It just depends. The places that dont tend to draw mixed crowds are Uptown (McKinney Ave. is as white as the driven snow), Northwest Dallas (Walnut Hill area tends to be overwhelmingly Hispanic), East Dallas (also mostly Hispanic), Southwest Dallas (also mostly Hispanic), and South Dallas (which is strictly black).

Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 AM

114 posts, read 186,562 times
OK thanks! I look up some places in those areas. So there are no uptown clubs that have a mixed crowd?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
OK thanks! I look up some places in those areas. So there are no uptown clubs that have a mixed crowd?
I wouldnt say no clubs do. Most dont. Lotus tends to draw a mixed crowd and the resturants uptown have some integration to them.

Personally, even my white friends find uptown too pretentious. Its not racist per se, just pretentious. No one is going to look at you funny or anything like that for being black, its just that those clubs tend to draw mostly white people.

For going out in Dallas there are just much better options. I love Knox-Henderson (which is geographically close to uptown) and the crowds there are very mixed and unassuming. Addison is just north of Dallas, but again the clubs are fun, its not pretenious at all, and there is no mind given to race in any way. Deep Ellum and Bishop Arts are liberal, eclectic, and funky. Lower Greenville is a neighborhood on the rise with big plans underway.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:13 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,417,021 times
Quote:
Yes, there area, as long as you stay away from the "preppy/fratty" bars like Idle Rich, Primo's, etc on McKinney.

Dragonfly at Zaza has a diverse crowd. So does the loung above those shops at Knox & 75....can never remember it's name. So does Aura, a dance club/lounge on McKinney. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting as I'm not a big club/lounge person.

Whever you come visit, check out the West Village. There is always a mixed crowd there- no lounges/clubs there, but plenty of restaurants, bars & shopping.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Dragonfly at Zaza has a diverse crowd. So does the loung above those shops at Knox & 75....can never remember it's name. So does Aura, a dance club/lounge on McKinney. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting as I'm not a big club/lounge person.
Club Aura is in no way, shape, or form diverse. It is uber-pretentious to put it nicely. Aura is a huge reason of why I have sworn off McKinney Ave. for going out (though not the only one). So many douchebags in one spot should be illegal. The bouncers judge what you are wearing (even if you meet the dress code) as a basis to let you in. Doesnt get much worse than that. Its too bad too because they play good music.

The nightlife in Dallas is too good to waste time with places like Aura.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,866,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Club Aura is in no way, shape, or form diverse. It is uber-pretentious to put it nicely. Aura is a huge reason of why I have sworn off McKinney Ave. for going out (though not the only one). So many douchebags in one spot should be illegal. The bouncers judge what you are wearing (even if you meet the dress code) as a basis to let you in. Doesnt get much worse than that. Its too bad too because they play good music.

The nightlife in Dallas is too good to waste time with places like Aura.
Wow, people actually wait in line just for the potential of getting the privilege of going into a club?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Wow, people actually wait in line just for the potential of getting the privilege of going into a club?
I thought that would be a thing of the past when I left LA, but its alive and well in some places in Dallas.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:25 AM

16,086 posts, read 41,265,306 times
Last time I was at Lizard Lounge (northern edge of Deep Ellum) the line was outrageous..even midnight to 1 am...eclectic crowd. I (white) was there with some friends who are hispanic and their daughter who goes to TCU. I'm going to Candleroom Friday night (was there about a year ago or less and it was mixed) so I will give a report later..

Old 12-14-2010, 10:27 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,866,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I thought that would be a thing of the past when I left LA, but its alive and well in some places in Dallas.
LOL, there are too many places to go where you can just walk in to have to go through that nonsense. Get them when they are young and stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas