Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:12 PM

840 posts, read 2,089,260 times

Advertisements

I am so happy I was just offered a Job in the Dallas Metro, actually in Cedar Hill if that makes a difference, and I have two weeks to move.

Okay so because the job was given to me on such short notice the employer got me a hotel room for a month until I find somewhere to live. I know nothing about Dallas and the sorrounding areas but the Hotel is in Duncanville about 10 minutes away from my new job in Cedar Hill.

So I am looking for a nice Apartment complex 0-1100
Crime free, clean, and near amenities,
Schools really don't matter, but would love to be near a community college, I want to finish my paralegal associates degree there. I'm single, young, black, and lived in Atlanta and now in Charlotte for most of my life and really excited and scared for the move, please help

On some type of Transit, train, bus, or horse and buggy, while I do have my on car; I am a transit nutt and my first weekend in Dallas I will be on your light rail like a maniac.

The Hotel that I was given is off of W. Camp Wisdom Rd, near a mall(drove by so fast did not get the malls name) is this a nice are, saw a few apartment complexes driving thru are any of them nice or should I just take the hotel room and move somewhere else.

Thanks in Advanced for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,521,520 times
Congrats on getting a job in this economy! Unfortunately, DART Rail DART.org - DART Rail System Map does not go anywhere near Cedar Hill (SW Dallas County). The bus system doesn't go there either. You're going to need your car. Regarding Duncanville, I think you'll be fine in the hotel there for a month. But, given that you are young, single and new to the city I don't really recommend it as a place to live. It's just another family oriented suburb. The mall along Camp Wisdom Rd. is called Southwest Center (also referred to as RedBird Mall since that was its original name). I REALLY don't recommend that place. If you want a nice shopping center, then IMO the very best one is NorthPark Center which is about 7 miles north of Downtown Dallas NorthPark Center - The Premier Shopping and Dining Center in Dallas. As far as a place to live, you should be able to find something for under $1100 in Uptown Uptown Dallas - Main. It's the liveliest area for singles and it has tons of restaurants, bars, shops, gyms, apartments, etc... Or, Downtown Dallas Welcome to Downtown Dallas is adjacent to Uptown and should be slightly cheaper. Your commute from either of these locations to Cedar Hill would be a reverse commute, so it shouldn't take too long in either direction. Downtown and Uptown are both served by DART Rail. One other option you might consider if you want to be close to, but not in, the action Downtown & Uptown would be N. Oak Cliff. It's just 2 miles SW of Downtown Dallas and it's a very eclectic part of town with tons of character. It's not glitzy like Uptown. It's more historic and charming, plus it would put you 2 miles closer to work. Without much traffic you could be in Cedar Hill in 20 minutes. Here are some suggestions in N. Oak Cliff: Good Space- Bishop Arts District Dallas Living Working, Jefferson At Kessler Park Apartments , 1520 N. Beckley Ave., Dallas TX 75203 offered by Apartment Selector, Free Apartment Locator. Call 214-750-8744 for assistance., Lake Cliff Tower: Home. Note that the Lake Cliff Tower is a condo, but there are often units available for rent.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:06 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 897,398 times
As Dallas native said, DART doesn't run through/to Cedar Hill.

For a young and single person coming here and working in Cedar Hill, I'd look at the south Arlington area (you'd hit Duncanville by taking I-20 east) or somewhere downtown (if you don't mind a bit of a longer drive). Finding something in your price range in those areas shouldn't be very difficult.

As far as shopping and amenities, there's plenty of stuff on the I-20 corridor (Parks Mall, Arlington Highlands, retail off of Great Southwest in Grand Prairie, and [while not on 20 itself] Uptown Village in Cedar Hill).

Old 11-18-2010, 04:44 PM

840 posts, read 2,089,260 times
Thanks everyone I feel so helpless I lived in the southeast for most of my life and moving from Charlotte I am really be all by myself, I'm so scared, but anyways thanks for the feedback,

I know Cedar Hill has no bus service so I know I will need my car to go to work but for fun I love to ride the train and busses, and a requirement for were ever I live is I have to live on a bus line or near a station. but thanks for the

What about living near one of the light rail stations I am willing to commute up to 30 minutes one way and I know I am commuting out to the suburbs so commute shouldn't be bad.

And Again thanks I am Looking into Uptown, and Arlington now

Old 11-18-2010, 04:54 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,521,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I know Cedar Hill has no bus service so I know I will need my car to go to work but for fun I love to ride the train and busses, and a requirement for were ever I live is I have to live on a bus line or near a station.

What about living near one of the light rail stations I am willing to commute up to 30 minutes one way and I know I am commuting out to the suburbs so commute shouldn't be bad.
You can strike Arlington from your list of options if being on a bus or rail line is a requirement. Believe it or not, Arlington (population about 370,000), is the largest city in the country that DOES NOT HAVE ANY kind of public transportation.

Living on a DART Rail line anywhere Downtown or near the CityPlace subway station in Uptown would be a great option if you want to use the rail at night and on the weekends. But you're still going to have to drive to work in Cedar Hill. I'm just estimating here, but it's probably 10 miles between Cedar Hill and the closest DART Rail station. I think that on most days you could make it from Uptown/Downtown to Cedar Hill in under 30 minutes since you'd be going opposite most other traffic.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,336,843 times
Uptown is the place for single 20 and 30-somethings in Dallas. Well within your budget. The red line goes straight up 75, with a big stop at Cityplace just across 75 from uptown. Apartments in or near the West Village would be closest to the rail. There is also a free trolley that runs up/down McKinney Ave in Uptown/Downtown. The northernmost stop is the West Village. Uptown is where all the hot bars, restaurants, art galleries, good shopping, etc is.

Another option is The Cedars just south of downtown- on the Cedar Hill side. There are a lot of young black professionals who live in the South Side on Lamar lofts. Cool people there, very "neighborhood-y". DART rail stop right across the street. This would cut 10-15 minutes off your driving commute to Cedar Hill from Uptown.

Not sure what cc's are down that way. Eastfield is east of Downtown at 635 & 30. Dallas Baptist U is on the way to Cedar Hill; I'm sure there's a cc somewhere near there.

Don't be nervous! I have some black friends and the black young professional scene in Dallas is pretty small - in a good way, I just mean whenever I'm out with them, they seem to know every black person we run into from professional leagues or friends-of-friends.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:09 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 897,398 times
If being on/near public transportation is a necessity, you're going to have to live in Dallas. Like DN said, though, you'd still have to drive your car to Cedar Hill.

Uptown looks like your best bet.

ETA: Urban League has a Young Professionals chapter in Dallas. That's another way for you to mix with other AfAms in the area.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,197,397 times
Downtown is the nexus of the rail (and bus) system and the McKinney Avenue Trolley (MATA) is being expanded. We should have another streetcar line in two or three years from Downtown to North Oak Cliff.

I know it's a bit scary to go to a new town. I went to Houston right out of college and I was a little freaked at first. But Texas is friendly and you will make new friends. Downtown really has its own community 'scene' where it is surprisingly easy to get to know new people. So does North Oak Cliff and some of the other close-in neighborhoods around Downtown - even Uptown.

I have not been to Brooklyn Jazz Cafe in the Cedars in a long time but that's a good place to check out...I'm sure you strike up a conversation in there and ask around about places to live.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,988,843 times
Amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 AM

326 posts, read 963,175 times
Look somewhere in the central or southern downtown area. You'll have good access to transit for the evenings/weekends, and it's easy to get to any of the highways. Since you'll be going opposite the morning commute, it may not be bad depending on your timing. Uptown may add to your commute time since you'll have to go through/around the CBD.

There are several apartment complexes around the West End and Main Street District very close to DART rail. Uptown has the M-Line streetcar, but unless you live at Cityplace it's not directly on a DART station. The Cedars area or Deep Ellum are adjacent to downtown and have apartments near DART stations. I've been downtown for 5 years and lived without a car for 2 years, about a 5 minute walk to St. Paul Station.

A full listing of apartments can be found here, or send me a PM and I can give you more specifics.
Residences | Downtown Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas