Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:19 AM

840 posts, read 2,098,773 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone, especially dfwcre8tive, website was great. but I realized it is very hard to find a apartment when you are not there so I not going to look till I get there Thursday and Friday to look and actually go to some of the different complexes. but I do have a few other questions

What are the Grocery Stores, I dont shop at the most expensive stores but I do like clean stores so what is the nice grocery store for Dallas area, Atlanta has Publix, Charlotte has Harris Teeter, Dallas has ?

What is the culture, while I don't act and think or even hang out with thugs and crap like that I love rap, hip hop, and R&B music what are the nice clubs.

Theaters, I love musicals do you guys get lots of Broadway musicals in the city.

Is Dallas as flat as everyone says, I really hope so I love to walk and living here in the piedmont of the southeast we have these long hills that can really tire you out and I am tired of them, so is Dallas a Flat City where I can do more walking without having to pump up long hills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 AM

326 posts, read 966,463 times
Grocery stores will depend on where you locate. Within a few miles of the CBD are Aldi, Walmart, Albertsons, Kroger, Newflower Market. Further on is Whole Foods, Central Market, Tom Thumb and others. The public Farmers Market is located downtown.

As far as musicals go, The AT&T Performing Arts Center (AT&T Performing Arts Center) has a Broadway series and Dallas Summer Musicals (Welcome to Dallas Summer Musicals) puts on a lot of shows. The Dallas Arts District (downtown) is home to a lot of the museums and theaters (Dallas Arts District). There are regular late nights at the museums, outdoor concerts and festivals in the district.

Dallas is relatively flat, with the hillier areas in Oak Cliff and Cedar Hill. There is a growing network of walking/bike trails, including the Katy Trail, Santa Fe Trail and around White Rock Lake. Outside of the downtown area sidewalks and walking infrastructure get a bit spotty.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM

326 posts, read 966,463 times
FYI, if you are in town by December 4th, you may want to check out DART's Super Saturday. It's the grand opening of the DART Green Line and there will be free rides + festivals at various stations.

DART.org - Green Line Super Saturday

Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,486,350 times
Tom Thumb and Albertson's are the two "normal" grocery store chains in Dallas- clean, big, well-stocked, good customer service- but not fancy. It's hard to drive a mile or two without seeing one of the other, especially in the areas you're looking.

Whole Foods & Central Market are the nice, upscale stores. Offer lots of organic, take-out, specialty items, great wine/beer selections, experts on meat & cheese, bakery on-site, etc.

Downtown has the Farmer's Market, where you can buy fresh produce and other locally grown/made food year-round.

Dallas has a wonderful arts scene. The Dallas Summer Musicals perform mostly at Fair Park and sometimes smaller shows at the Majestic Theatre downtown. They have a young professionals group called "Associate Producers". It's $50-75ish a year to join and you get discounted/better seats for several performances a year, plus cast parties (last one was with Phantom) when big shows come through and several happy hours each year are included in the dues. Plus, great way to meet others who share your interests. Check the website for more details.

Other musicals come through the Winspear Opera House downtown. In the past year, I saw Spring Awakening, South Pacific, and Beauty & the Beast there. All phenomenal performances!

I can't help you on your music question, but I'm sure someone else will be able to!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,486,350 times
Crap! Forgot to say- in addition to the trails DWF8 mentioned, there are plenty of hilly hike/ mountain bike trails at Cedar Hill State Park & nearby Joe Pool Lake. The terrain really changes when you drive southwest from Dallas on 67- about where Cedar Hill is. Another hour's drive west and you're at the top of the Texas Hill Country, which stretches south past San Antonio.

Also, Kessler Park/ North Oak Cliff neighborhoods have a lot of hills. Some of my guy friends bike ride with an organized group down there once a month or so. I'll see if I can find the group's name, but I'm sure if you google "bike + Oak Cliff" or + Kessler Park or + Bishop Arts, you'd find it!

Old 11-21-2010, 07:12 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,143,647 times
There are plenty of nice apartments in the southern sector of town but I would not recommend them for a single person wanting to mingle. You will be a long way from just about all the nightlife and activities Dallas has to offer. Living around the downtown-uptown area would be my recommendation. You could do public transit and walk to many places Dallas have to offer. Forget about the apartments around the Hotel you will be staying at. They are not very good and it is not a place you would want to live. If you decide to stay in any burb be prepared to drive your car everywhere. They may offer public transportation but it really is set up for commuters going to work. Living in the downtown/uptown area would require you to have a reverse commute trip to work so the traffic would be fairly light. There is alot to do in Dallas but most of it occurs in the city. The burbs are far older folks and families IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas