Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 PM

14 posts, read 26,589 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions where to live? I am flying into Dallas in a couple weeks and am going to stay in an extended stay hotel until I find the perfect lease (oh yea, and job...I might have two interviews once I get there.) I'm looking for the "IT" place: modern, contemporary, granite, hardwood, safe, nice pool, ~$1600/mo. I prefer to rent in a buyers community of condos rather than rent an apartment which turns into a frat house. I like to host/entertain and enjoy access to local bars/restaurants/coffee shops for casual conversations. But I also love time to myself, especially long walks which makes access to Katy Trail ideal. I have been suggested: The Renaissance (Turtle Creek), The Travis (Knox/Henderson), Wyndemere (Turtle Creek), and 588 Lofts (State/Thomas). Any opinions? Thanks for your thoughts...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Few more suggestions:
-The Ashton is all rentals but extremely upscale (like rents go up to $3-4k for a 2 or 3 br- very high for Dallas!)
-The high rises on Turtle Creek aren't that "young" as far as owners/renters, but they are almost all very nice. Interesting that someone suggested the Renaissance for you- it is full of SMU students & recent grads and is pretty "fratty"! Check Craigs List for The Warrington, The Beverly, The Mayfair, The Vendome, Turtle Creek North, and The Fairmont. The high rise behind the Mansion Hotel (blanking on name right now, but it's on Hood Street) is managed by the Mansion and is gorgeous.
-1900 Thomas is a lofts condo building in State-Thomas.
-"The House" in Victory Park.

Anywhere from Uptown (including State-Thomas and Victory Park) to Turtle Creek to Knox-Henderson will put you in the middle of Dallas' nighlife & social action.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:57 PM

Thank you, TurtleCreek80!

I found your suggestions to be very, very helpful! I especially LOVE The Ashton- totally my style! I love The House, too...very posh!

Thank you for the heads up about the Renaissance! Your suggestions were so much better than the ones I was given earlier today from an agent. I'm glad I asked...n even happier you answered!

I guess I better get those interviews scheduled tomorrow for the end of the month--Best have a paycheck to afford those condos! hahaha.

Take care and thanks again!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Find your job before you decide where to live. Those places are all cool, but you will be hating life if you get a job in Plano and end up driving an hour each way to work...

Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,548 times
Don't get a job in Plano. Life's too short to work in Office Space.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Find your job before you decide where to live. Those places are all cool, but you will be hating life if you get a job in Plano and end up driving an hour each way to work...
Christie,

It would be helpful if you would stick to posting on topics that you're knowledgable about. A commute from Uptown to Plano (Legacy, which is the northernmost tip of Plano) is 25 min AM, 30-35 min PM. In the past 4 years, it has only taken me over an hour to get to/from work exactly 3 times (massive wrecks on the Tollroad, including a high-profile fatal accident). 3 times out of approx 2,000 commute segments.

Likewise, a commute from Uptown into Las Colinas is about 12 minutes AM, 25 minutes PM.

It's possible to live somewhere hip AND have a fairly easy reverse commute to the other business centers in the area....although there are plenty of jobs in Downtown, Uptown, and Preston Center, too!

Stop trying to scare the posters! It's ridiculous!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:29 PM

TurtleCreek,
I don't think you understand. Dallas is full of vampire panhandling criminal pedophiles who will suck my blood when I am at a stoplight and then proceed to steal my babies and ransom them to the Chinese mafia (which are rampant in Dallas). The houses in Dallas are older than my car! All the schools are full of gangs and in order to get into the 12th grade -- you've got to kill two people -- both of them white suburban moms from Frisco. In Dallas, there are restaurants that are not Applebees. Some of the homes don't have red brick and a garage in the front with siding around the rest of the home. There are trees everywhere, so you can't see people sneaking up on you. (Happens all the time!)

I know this is all true about Dallas because I heard it from somebody who moved here from California and now is looking at pre-owned homes in the Melissa-Denton-Tulsa area. Tulsa has lots of Applebees. I can't wait to have an awesome blossom. (They're so AWESOME!) Where is my credit card? Live in Plano! You'll get a commemorative cell phone holster for your belt and or fanny pack! You need a 5,000 square foot home for $110,000 as a single woman.

Sincerely,
Suburbia

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 10-13-2010 at 09:52 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 PM

Seriously, how did we get to this...LMFAO!!! Thanks for the entertainment! Actually, I am moving from Houston where I lived in the Galleria (loved it!!) and commuted an hour back and forth to work in The Woodlands (loved it!!) My job is such that a long commute to and from work is great for time to eat breakfast in the morning and decompressing on the way home. I am pretty sure I will have an hour commute out of the city anyway for the type of work I want to do. But, Christie I definitely appreciate your advice and suggestion! I will most likely find a lease AFTER I find a job.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 PM

Sorry. I got a little carried away. Too many margaritas -- at Chilis!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKHDMD View Post
Seriously, how did we get to this...LMFAO!!! Thanks for the entertainment! Actually, I am moving from Houston where I lived in the Galleria (loved it!!) and commuted an hour back and forth to work in The Woodlands (loved it!!) My job is such that a long commute to and from work is great for time to eat breakfast in the morning and decompressing on the way home. I am pretty sure I will have an hour commute out of the city anyway for the type of work I want to do. But, Christie I definitely appreciate your advice and suggestion! I will most likely find a lease AFTER I find a job.
Back story: we got to this because last night Christie suggested Rockwall (suburb like Sugarland ) as a good choice for a guy who specifically said he wanted to live downtown. She called Rockwall "cool" and "walkable" and said that no one would want to live IN Dallas due to sky-high crime. She lives in Grapevine (FW burb near the airport).

It's just frustrating to watch posters run their mouths off to posters who don't have an in-depth knowledge of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas