Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 PM

101 posts, read 226,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlecreek80 View Post
back story: We got to this because last night christie suggested rockwall (suburb like sugarland ) as a good choice for a guy who specifically said he wanted to live downtown. She called rockwall "cool" and "walkable" and said that no one would want to live in dallas due to sky-high crime. She lives in grapevine (fw burb near the airport).

It's just frustrating to watch posters run their mouths off to posters who don't have an in-depth knowledge of the area.
lmsao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 10:13 PM

14 posts, read 26,598 times
TurtleCreek80,
Thanks for keeping us all honest! I am almost sold on The Ashton. I'm very glad you recommended it! Thanks!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKHDMD View Post
TurtleCreek80,
Thanks for keeping us all honest! I am almost sold on The Ashton. I'm very glad you recommended it! Thanks!
It's a gorgeous, full-service building....steps from Mavs games/ Stars games/ major concerts at American Airlines Center, steps from the hottest high-end bar & restaurant scenes today (Ocean Prime & Rattlesnake Bar @ the Ritz Carlton), a few blocks from House of Blues (great live music venue for small shows), a few blocks from the southern entrance to the Katy Trail at AACenter, a few blocks walk to Starbucks (closest one is in the Crescent Court office building), laid back bars like Stoneleigh P & The Gingerman, causal upscale restaurants like Nick & Sam's Grill, The Common Table, and Coal Vines Pizza. Several banks in walkig distance, as well as outstanding restaurants Nobu, Nick & Sam's Steakhouse, Fearing's @ The Ritz, Craft, etc. Some shopping within walking distance (Stanley Korshak and the contemporary designer offshoot "The Shak" is in the Crescent), although the best shoppig is at NorthPark/ Preston Center/ Highland Park Village. Also walking distance to many art galleries along Fairmont Street and Theatre Three/Two at the Quadrangle.

Only thing you're not walking distance to is a good nail salon, grocery store or pharmacy...but all that is a 5 minute drive away.

The Ashton has everything from SMU sorority girls to reality tv starlets (many a Bachelor contestant has lived there, regular 20-40-something professionals, Hedge fund guys who just can't commit to buying a home, divorcees, sugar babies, etc).

Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 PM

did you say Starbucks? 8-D
.....hahaha....
You're very knowledgeable. sounds like a great location...almost overwhelming. I'm anxious now to get to Dallas!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 AM

229 posts, read 606,872 times
As always, TurtleCreek is spot on with the advice. Nevertheless, I have to plug my area (State Thomas) because it is awesome. You'll be a bit farther from Victory Park for American Airlines Center and House of Blues, but it has a true neighborhood feel, tons of restaurants/bars to walk to and all your everyday services within walking distance (Dry Cleaning, Salon Services, etc).

Old 10-14-2010, 10:55 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,778 times
Default Did you know there is not a single Applebee's in Plano?

I have nothing against Applebee's, I just never go there probably because there is not one near me. (I actually live in Allen, but there isn't one here either.) The most interesting thing about the quote below is that Dallas actually has 3 of them - 2 of them south of 635.
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
TurtleCreek,
I don't think you understand. Dallas is full of vampire panhandling criminal pedophiles who will suck my blood when I am at a stoplight and then proceed to steal my babies and ransom them to the Chinese mafia (which are rampant in Dallas). The houses in Dallas are older than my car! All the schools are full of gangs and in order to get into the 12th grade -- you've got to kill two people -- both of them white suburban moms from Frisco. In Dallas, there are restaurants that are not Applebees. Some of the homes don't have red brick and a garage in the front with siding around the rest of the home. There are trees everywhere, so you can't see people sneaking up on you. (Happens all the time!)

I know this is all true about Dallas because I heard it from somebody who moved here from California and now is looking at pre-owned homes in the Melissa-Denton-Tulsa area. Tulsa has lots of Applebees. I can't wait to have an awesome blossom. (They're so AWESOME!) Where is my credit card? Live in Plano! You'll get a commemorative cell phone holster for your belt and or fanny pack! You need a 5,000 square foot home for $110,000 as a single woman.

Sincerely,
Suburbia

Old 10-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Dear Codytravers-
I have heard great things about State/Thomas too. Thanks for your plug. Any suggestions on condos/apartments in that area in particular? $1600-$2000 is good...

Old 10-14-2010, 01:51 PM

229 posts, read 606,872 times
If you google "State Thomas Dallas", a couple good apartment/townhome developments pop up. Also, you could spend a half day just walking around the neighborhood and checking out the leasing offices of each place to give you a firsthand look. It'd be easy and is recommended since everything is so close together that you could just park and walk everywhere.

A couple other suggestions:

If you want super posh, check out 1900 McKinney: Dallas, Texas - A Luxury High-Rise Apartment Residence in Uptown. It's a little ways down the street, but it has all the amenities I think you'd appreciate.

Post Square is a unit which sits on top of retail units such as Starbucks, Fratelli Pizza, tanning salon, sub shop, post office place, a gym and some others. The building adjacent to that has another pizza place along with a dentist office. Great location and a 5 minute walk to State Thomas neighborhood.

I think you will have a hard time choosing with the price range you've selected since you will have so many places to choose from.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Thanks, Codytravers. I like your suggestions, too! I can't believe how CHEAP Dallas is! It's amazing... I think you're right about having a hard time choosing! I can't believe how many awesome options there are. Puts Austin to SHAME! and Houston...I'm not even going to to go there... (this is coming from an "unbiased" non-Texan)

Old 10-14-2010, 02:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
My 'niece' lives in the Trianon and it's nice. Easy walkability or you can always catch a cab nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas