Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 03:34 PM

17 posts, read 66,695 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving south, possibly to Cedar Hill, and I really like Master-planned type communities like the ones in Aubrey (Savannah, etc.) with the pools and parks. Are there any like that in Cedar Hill, Lancaster, Desoto, Red Oak, or other Southern cities? Our price range is around $160,000 or less for a 4 bedroom.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 04:36 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
Mira Lagos in Grand Prairie is a very nice master planned community. That's the only one where you will have a few to choose from in your price range. There are a couple of other neighborhoods that would have a community pool only but Mira Lagos is where I would concentrate.

Naima

Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
Nice areas can be found in Mansfield.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:39 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Crowley, Texas also has some nice master planned communities.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgirlmommy View Post
We are going to be moving south, possibly to Cedar Hill, and I really like Master-planned type communities like the ones in Aubrey (Savannah, etc.) with the pools and parks. Are there any like that in Cedar Hill, Lancaster, Desoto, Red Oak, or other Southern cities? Our price range is around $160,000 or less for a 4 bedroom.

Thanks!
CEDAR HILL
Cedar Hill has several planned communities. The best known is probably Lake Ridge at Joe Pool Lake. It is a higher-end community, so I doubt that there would be much in that area within your stated price range.

Another planned community is High Pointe in northern Cedar Hill. The area was first developed in the 1980s and is now home to approximately 2,700 households. Eleven neighborhoods comprise the High Pointe subdivision, but the area is cohesive and operates a single Public Improvement District (PID). High Pointe has four neighborhood parks (Bradford, J.W. Williams, Ramsey, and The Meadows) with walking trails, playground equipment, and sports facilities. This Google Street View image is of Bradford Park, which has a fishing pond with a fountain as well as a gazebo. There are four bedroom homes in the High Pointe area that meet your price criteria. High Pointe Elementary school, which serves the area, is currently rated "Recognized."

Waterford Oaks in eastern Cedar Hill is another planned neighborhood. The oldest homes in Waterford Oaks date back to the late 1980s, although most were built during the 1990s and afterwards. Waterford Oaks has a neighborhood park with pond, fountain, bridge and gazebo. There are also walking trails and a green belt as well. Like High Pointe, Waterford Oaks' residents have formed a Public Improvement District (PID) that provides enhanced landscaping, fencing, and other common area amenities to benefit the community. This is a nice area with homes in your price range. The neighborhood elementary school, Waterford Oaks, is an "Exemplary" rated campus.

DESOTO
Candle Meadow is a subdivision located in southwestern DeSoto. The first homes in this neighborhood were completed in 2002. Candle Meadow has a neighborhood park, community swimming pool, and playground in a common area.

Views of the Candle Meadow Common Area:
Candle Meadow, DeSoto, TX - Google Maps
Candle Meadow, DeSoto, TX - Google Maps

LANCASTER
Tribute at Mills Branch is a master-planned community in the developing stages. A few homes have been completed, but they only have two or three bedrooms.

The Millbrook subdivision in central Lancaster was developed as a planned community in the 1980s. It is a nice area with well-maintained homes. A new walking/biking trail was completed on the south end of the neighborhood. The neighborhood elementary school, Rosa Parks-Millbrook, is an "Exemplary" rated campus.

Last summer, I traveled around Lancaster taking photos of the city's different neighborhoods. In this post, there are a few pictures of both Millbrook and Mills Branch.

RED OAK
Harmony is the only community in Red Oak I found that has what you are looking for in terms of trails, a community pool, parks, and playgrounds. It is a new community, but the least expensive four bedroom floorplan starts at $177,950.

While there aren't many master-planned communities in the southern suburbs, there are many nice areas to choose from. Cedar Hill, DeSoto, and Lancaster have all continued to add new walking/hiking/biking trails along with parks. Cedar Hill has a 54,000 square foot recreation center with a variety of program offerings. DeSoto's recreation center is located in the Town Center, which houses the library, city hall, and a recently completed mixed use retail/residential development. Both cities also operate city pools during the summer months. Lancaster (http://www.lancaster-tx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=112&Item id=498 - broken link)'s recreation center has an indoor swimming pool. The building is part of the 70-acre Lancaster Community Park, which includes the city library, public safety facility and senior center as well as walking trails, a pond, and fishing pier.

If you need assistance with anything else, just let me know and I will try to help.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 PM

6,799 posts, read 14,021,576 times
I have to agree with Nsumner. Mira Lagos is a fantastic area that borders Lake Joe Pool. I'm sure you will like it if you see it.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:45 PM

17 posts, read 66,695 times
Thanks! I drove around and love Mira Lagos as well as a few areas in Mansfield- Lowes Farm, Holland Estates, and a few others I can't remember. I think we will focus on that area as it seems really nice! Now to get the job offer and try to sell our house in Carrollton!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas