Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM

126 posts, read 344,141 times

Advertisements

Hi Dallas,
I will be checking out DFW this weekend for a potential relocation. My spouse would be working in Southern Carrollton, our child is not school age yet and we would want to rent a house until schools matter. I am very interested in North and East Dallas and will be looking there extensively but we would also would like to explore areas closer to the office. I keep looking at the topographical map of DFW and seeing that the area between Carrollton and Richardson is quite green. It appears there is a small river or system of streams running between Lake Dallas and White Rock Lake. This green looking area, I assume meaning more trees, is between my husband's office and Richardson. I am curious to know what the residential areas in that region are called, if anyone knows. I also wonder about the home styles/prices safety etc if anyone has any other info about this particular area.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 02:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
There are many small creeks in the area. Some are part of White Rock Creek and if you went on over to the far northeast side of Richardson part of Spring Creek. If it looks green on google earth from the distance it is due to the areas in question being older and the trees more mature. There are parks in the area scattered about that add to the green spaces you are seeing.

Having grown up in Farmers Branch and Carrollton (one big school district but two different cities) and being very familiar w/ all areas in between.......... I'd go with Richardson in a heartbeat. There are only a few areas in Richardson to avoid and a lot more to avoid in FB and Carrollton. Depending on your budget you can look in Richardson in the Heights area as well as Canyon Creek. The schools are very good and it is a great family area.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:09 PM

212 posts, read 1,153,786 times
I couldn't think of any especially green areas off the top of my head, so I pulled up a google map:
Carrollton, TX to Richardson, TX - Google Maps

The area around Brookhaven country club is quite pretty, although it's a slightly older area of town- I think built up in the 70's. I don't know about schools in that area, but it sounds like that is a few years off for you anyway.

I think Coppell or Grapevine might also be good fits for you if you're looking for areas with more green, less concrete. The schools are pretty good in these areas as well, and not too far a commute to Carrollton.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlosmTX View Post
The area around Brookhaven country club is quite pretty, although it's a slightly older area of town- I think built up in the 70's.
Actually, the homes in Brookhaven were built in the 60's. They started in 1960 and by 1970 they had been built completely. There was no building going on in that area whatsoever in the 70's . Grew up there and our house was built in 1960. The only new area of Brookhaven is over at the northwest corner of Marsh Ln and Valley View.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:01 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
Look in the area bounded by Campbell Road to the north, Preston Road to the west, Belt Line Road to the south and Central Expressway to the east. Half is Richardson and half is Dallas Proper, but Richardson school district.

Prairie Creek is nice with its creek and trees and greenbelt. There are random creeks in Prestonwood. Highlands North has a couple of ponds with fountains.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
the OP did not mention price
think lot of those areas would be considered "expensive" by someone who is maybe first time home buyer

Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Look in the area bounded by Campbell Road to the north, Preston Road to the west, Belt Line Road to the south and Central Expressway to the east. Half is Richardson and half is Dallas Proper, but Richardson school district.

Prairie Creek is nice with its creek and trees and greenbelt. There are random creeks in Prestonwood. Highlands North has a couple of ponds with fountains.
Great suggestion. I am in that area myself. I say this a lot but I really love living in Richardson. It's great here.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 AM

126 posts, read 344,141 times
Thanks to all of you (again) you all have been so very helpful. I'm so excited to get out there and put a "face to a name" for Dallas. I have all this great info and I'm so ready to finally "meet" the city! I will check into all these areas, man I have a lot of ground to cover in a weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the OP did not mention price
think lot of those areas would be considered "expensive" by someone who is maybe first time home buyer
Thanks Loves2read, you are right. However sadly our SoCal experience has warped us I think. Since we are coming from San Diego I'm sure anything nice under 400k will look like a deal to us. We would like to rent first but if we decide to purchase we are pretty sure we would qualify for up to 400k, not that we would want to spend that much, I'm hoping to spend under 300k next time we buy. We have recently been looking at homes in San Diego in the 350-400k range and it's so depressing, everything we have seen is a dumpy old town-home or 50's fixer cracker box house next to a freeway.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAH View Post
Thanks to all of you (again) you all have been so very helpful. I'm so excited to get out there and put a "face to a name" for Dallas. I have all this great info and I'm so ready to finally "meet" the city! I will check into all these areas, man I have a lot of ground to cover in a weekend!

Thanks Loves2read, you are right. However sadly our SoCal experience has warped us I think. Since we are coming from San Diego I'm sure anything nice under 400k will look like a deal to us. We would like to rent first but if we decide to purchase we are pretty sure we would qualify for up to 400k, not that we would want to spend that much, I'm hoping to spend under 300k next time we buy. We have recently been looking at homes in San Diego in the 350-400k range and it's so depressing, everything we have seen is a dumpy old town-home or 50's fixer cracker box house next to a freeway.
Look on realtor.com in the 75080 and (I think) 75248 zip codes. I think 75248 is the zip code for the Dallas side of Coit that FND mentioned (if I'm wrong please jump in and correct me).

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what that amount of money will buy you here. You could afford a beautiful home in Canyon Creek, The Reservation, or along Waterview no problem on that budget. I am less familiar with the Dallas side of this area as I did not really look much over there but I am sure FND can fill you in.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:42 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
Yeah, you're right, BigD, the Dallas side of Coit is 75248.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas