Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 06:51 PM

103 posts, read 269,767 times

Advertisements

Got a job offer in Mesquite im just wondering what kind of city it is. I am married with a 3 year old daughter. How is the schools,crime,things to do,and etc.....I really know nothing about this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,041 times
ok, low, not much

Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
Like most other close-in Dallas suburbs, it has a bit of everything. Lots of older low income housing, but also a great selection of pretty nice homes between $100K and $175K. Good city government and public facilities, parks, etc.. LOTS of shopping areas and restaurants but they're primarily chain family-style restaurants. Pretty good rodeo too. A great place to raise a family IMO but there are many people here who think any place that has so many houses under $150K is a slum that they wouldn't be caught dead in. It's mainly a blue collar town, but there is nothing wrong with that.

I've lived there before, and I'd live there again. I know lots of great people there.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Ok to work there, but wouldn't want to live there. Schools aren't that great compared to other suburban districts and in my opinion, it's ugly.

Luckily, if you like suburban living, Rockwall and Sunnyvale are both closeby and are better developed with better schools and housing stock. Both are very close - or on - Lake Ray Hubbard. Rockwall is very developed and offers lots of shopping, dining, and entertainment options. Sunnyvale is sleepier, but still very pretty.

If you want more in-town city living, check Lakewood (75214 & 75223) or Lake Highlands (75238) areas of Dallas. Both offer excellent public schools, access to all that Dallas has to offer (pro sports, theatre, restaurants, concerts, museums, and shopping galore) in a very family centered neighborhood. Both have easy access to 635 and I-30, which takes you to Mesquite in 15-30 minutes.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
ETex2 is pretty much correct. There is merit to something of the things Turtlecreek80 noted. But it must be noted that the average housing price in Mesquite compared Lake Highlands or Sunnyvale is like night or day. You would be hard pressed to find a home in Mesquite over 200k. You would be hard pressed to find a home less than 200k in Lake Highlands or Sunnyvale. You really can't compare the two. Mesquite is a older burb but does have some very nice neighborhoods in the northeastern part of the city. Decent schools and low crime. Like stated plenty of chain restaurants and shopping in the area. You get alot of house for the money in Mesquite but he question really boils down to your housing budget. If you don't have a problem living in a blue/gray collar area with lots of diversity you will enjoy Mesquite. If you want a white collar neighborhood with 200k+ housing average you will need to look someplace else. Garland, Rockwall and Sunnyvale should be on your list. Forney would be a viable option if you want a little bit of both.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:04 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etex2 View Post
like most other close-in dallas suburbs, it has a bit of everything. Lots of older low income housing, but also a great selection of pretty nice homes between $100k and $175k. Good city government and public facilities, parks, etc.. Lots of shopping areas and restaurants but they're primarily chain family-style restaurants. Pretty good rodeo too. A great place to raise a family imo but there are many people here who think any place that has so many houses under $150k is a slum that they wouldn't be caught dead in. It's mainly a blue collar town, but there is nothing wrong with that.

I've lived there before, and i'd live there again. I know lots of great people there.
Good description.

+1

Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 PM

103 posts, read 269,767 times
My friend who lives in houston went check out Mesquite today he loved everything about it except the 5:00 traffic

Old 07-30-2010, 01:34 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
5:00 o'clock traffic is a issue for every burb. Try the 5:00 traffic going to Frisco or Allen.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:55 PM

216 posts, read 444,311 times
Mesquite is fine. Don't be intimidated by the fact that the property values are less than suburbs more to the north and east. Like others have said, it's a little more blue collar, but there's plenty to do here and downtown Dallas is literally less than ten minutes away when the traffic is right.

My only advise would be stay on the east side of town for your daughter's schools. Find a neighborhood that feeds into Poteet or Horn High School.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,941 times
This is an old thread, but I'd like to offer a rebuttal to what I find to be misleading comments stated earlier.

Much of Mesquite's criticism comes from the fact that the town is a diverse, working class community. It's far from glitzy or fancy. There are no $30,000 millionaires here that you'd typically find hovering around in uptown or Collin County. You won't find too many homes over $200,000. There are no high rises. You're not going to find a lot of doctors or white color professionals living here. What you will find here is a diverse community where different types of people live together and get along with each other. We have a pretty celebrated rodeo here, and there's a bit of a cowboy culture here that comes along with it. The place certainly has room for improvements like anywhere else, but if you work in Mesquite there is absolutely no need to commute from outside.

Poteet High School and Horn High School are actually rated significantly higher than Lakewood and Lake Highland's public high schools, as are the majority of schools that feed into it. No need to take my word for it. Just look here:

Poteet High School - Mesquite, Texas - TX - School overview

Horn High School - Mesquite, Texas - TX - School overview

Lake Highlands High School - Dallas, Texas - TX - School overview

Woodrow Wilson High School - Dallas, Texas - TX - School overview

In fact, all of Mesquite's high schools, even the ones in older dodgier areas, are rated higher than Lakewood's according to greatschools.com. And just from personal opinion, the only part of Mesquite I find ugly is the lower west side where Dallas and Balch Springs spills into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas