Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 01:46 PM

986 posts, read 1,271,733 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about the area? If I lived there would I feel safe at all times? How many Obama signs will I see during the 2012 election? Do most of the people in the area send their kids to Jackson Stonewall Elem, or do they go private? etc, etc

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,394 times
It has become a nicer area. Lots of luxury cars and upscale new parents. Lots of police coverage as well. The closer you are to Greenville, the more likely you are to see the remnants of the St. Patrick's Day parade, but that's just one day. Don't live ALONG Greenville, too much traffic. But it's a cool area.

You're going to see Obama signs in most areas, except maybe University Park/Highland Park. Can't predict how many.

Somebody else should chime in on schools Lakewooder is a good source of accurate info. thx.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:22 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Driving thru that area this past weekend and there were a LOT of people (young couples) out walking and such. I'd feel safe there and would not have a problem with it at all.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Lots of Obama signs -- that's probably a more liberal area overall than Lakewood Proper (east of Abrams), where I didn't see very many McCain signs, either..

Not sure of exact figures but Stonewall is extremely popular and I don't know very many people who would send their kids to private over going there. Even though Lakewood Elementary is even more popular you have more of an uber-affluent element which might go more for the top privates whereas in Stonewall area you really don't except for a few streets (see big estates on Mercedes). The figures I have for the high school is that about 25% go private (it's around 20% in Park Cities). This roughly works out to about 75 kids per grade in high school (and some of that number may be magnets). We've had about 40 from privates apply for the ninth-grade pre-IB program this fall so that puts a large dent in that...

Would not feel unsafe at all as neighbors look out for each other. A year or two ago there was a robber who kept wandering up Mockingbird from the DART station all the way to Abrams. Once the description go out he was captured very quickly due to so many involved, watchful neighbors.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:36 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
What can you tell me about the area? If I lived there would I feel safe at all times? How many Obama signs will I see during the 2012 election? Do most of the people in the area send their kids to Jackson Stonewall Elem, or do they go private? etc, etc

Thanks!
It's generally a safe, upwardly mobile area. Due to all of the bars/restaurants nearby, traffic can be a hassle. Auto vandalism can be an issue as well. Can't predict the election of 2012, but in 2008, there were far more Obama/Biden yard signs in most E. Dallas 'hoods than McCain/Palin signs. It's a pretty moderate to liberal area.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
I've found that most auto vandalism happens when someone parks on the street. And a lot of folks have left goodies in plain sight. I've lived around there and been in every 'establishment' over the years and never had a problem. The closer you get to Greenville the more chance you will have parking on the street. However, you can also more easily walk to the restaurants, pubs and shops. Not really very many 'bar' bars on the upper portion of Lower Greenville. For instance the Corner Market is a wonderful place http://www.yelp.com/biz/corner-market-dallas and it's currently being featured on a Texas lottery commerical..you can see Unity Church in the background. Oh and the delicious http://www.societybakery.com/ is next door!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM

986 posts, read 1,271,733 times
Thanks everyone.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Safe, but you still need an alarm system and to park in your closed garage. It's still the city. Home and car break-ins are likely the top two crimes.

Make sure homes are zoned to Stonewall. Lee is up and coming, but not quite there yet.

For noise/safety/ traffic, look east of Matilda so youare far enough away from Greenville Ave.

Wonderful neighborhood! Lots of young families and young singles/ couples. On the more liberal side, but wasn't almost everyone in 2008? Some families are committed to Woodrow feeder schools, others are just parking at Stonewall until they can afford Park Cities or cave and move farther out to suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas