Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:47 PM

98 posts, read 389,304 times

Advertisements

Greetings people of Dallas, Texas! My wife and I just got married 3 weeks ago and upon arriving at home from our honeymoon, we found out that she is being transferred to Dallas. We currently live in Georgia and have been wanting to relocate for quite some time now. We couldn't have been more excited when we found out that there was an opening in Dallas for her! Since then, we have been looking at apartments. We found Camden Farmers Market Apartments today and from the internet, we really like the looks of it. I thought I would ask you all to find out an insiders perspective on that area. I want to thank you in advance for any words on that area, good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 03:30 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,430 times
The Farmer's Market area would not be my first choice. Nor would it be my second or third choice. That's in a somewhat sketchy part of Downtown Dallas. If you want to live in Downtown, then there are far better options. There are many highrise office buildings that have been converted to residential over the past decade or so. They are mostly in the heart of Downtown and have much better access to DART rail, restaurants, shopping, the Arts District, etc.... See if something like this trio of buildings appeals to you: Luxury Apartments in Metropolitan Dallas TX. If you are looking for an urban environment, Uptown is possibly an even better option than Downtown since it has a larger residential population and more amenities: Uptown Dallas - Main.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,536 times
I live there now and really like it. It is also much cheaper than similar quality housing in the area and has nice amenities. I go out walking and to the pool and gym at night and never feel in danger. There are some random homeless people around, but there are always police patrolling the area and the complex is so big that the residents far outnumber anyone shady walking around in the area.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:45 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
I'd agree with Dallas Native, you'll probably find more of that young, exuberant Dallas life the in the Uptown corridor. Camden may have some proximity to Deep Ellum but you'd drive to get there anyway.

You also want to consider where the work places are. Dallas is not always a direct route when crossing town.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:56 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
The Farmer's Market area would not be my first choice. Nor would it be my second or third choice. That's in a somewhat sketchy part of Downtown Dallas. If you want to live in Downtown, then there are far better options. There are many highrise office buildings that have been converted to residential over the past decade or so. They are mostly in the heart of Downtown and have much better access to DART rail, restaurants, shopping, the Arts District, etc.... See if something like this trio of buildings appeals to you: Luxury Apartments in Metropolitan Dallas TX. If you are looking for an urban environment, Uptown is possibly an even better option than Downtown since it has a larger residential population and more amenities: Uptown Dallas - Main.
I lived there from '03-05. It wasn't sketchy. There are actually nice townhomes around there and it was an easy walk to the Farmers Market. I don't know how it is now, but I thought it was great. It wasn't a vibrant, urban environment in the sense that say Main St or actually living in the West Village might be, but it was still great.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:14 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,430 times
The OP might want to read the attached story about a pregnant woman who was shot by a stray bullet coming from I-45 while she was in her apartment at Camden Farmers Market. Her unborn baby was killed. The new homeless shelter (The Bridge) is also just a few blocks away and consequently there are lots of homeless people traversing the area. Not saying that they are dangerous, but the OP should be aware.
Parents struggle with unborn son's shooting death | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/062207dnmetshootingvictim.390f359.html - broken link)

Old 07-04-2010, 06:57 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
The baby being shot was purely a random act. The shooter was traveling down the freeway for gods sake. The Camden is located a tad far from most things in downtown. The Farmers Market is close but most everything else is a long walk or requires a car drive. The only issue I ever here about the area is some of the homeless people who live around the area. It is not a huge problem but a problem that should be noted. If you like walking to shops and restaurants living downtown proper or uptown would be a better choice. If you want to save a few bucks and don't mind taking a long walk or driving the car the Camden may fit your needs.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,408 times
A friend of mine lived there and his apartment faced the inside of the complex (not the freeway) and he found a homeless person on his patio. Which means they got in through the so called secure gates they have there and was posted up chillin on his patio. Doesn't strike me as safe if things like that can happen.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:05 PM

326 posts, read 962,175 times
I've never lived there but know they have an active Crimewatch and are involved with the Downtown Residents Council. It's a bit of a walk to the more active areas of downtown (not many restaurants/shops nearby) but the Farmers Market is right next door.

If you're looking for other affordable locations in downtown Dallas you can check out the list here: Residences | Downtown Dallas We live at 1900 Elm, which is walkable to the Farmers Market but in the heart of the Main Street District (and adjacent to the new Main Street Garden park). You'll find a wide range of offerings downtown... everything from studio lofts to luxury apartments/condos.

While most of the nightlife and activity had been focused in Uptown, the downtown neighborhood is picking up new shops and restaurants all the time. I've lived downtown for 4 years and have never had any safety issues. Send me a message if you need any direct recommendations or other help.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Really the advantage of Camden is that you have Farmer's Market out your front door and Deep Ellum out the back. The homeless shelter is close but you have the well-patroled market (including large areas for flowers and plants) as a buffer. Also there's a cool dog park there. I would expect in the next boom that area will fill in completely.

I found a homeless guy on a porch of a house I own in East Dallas 15 or so years ago - didn't really bother me, just made sure he was ok - but I did send him on his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas