Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:39 PM

4 posts, read 37,062 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Dallas and looking for a source for produce (specifically tomatoes) to "put up" - I mean to freeze, can, make into spag. sauce, etc.

Is the Farmers Market a good source or is it overpriced?

Are there other sources? I live in North Dallas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:43 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
You might try the McKinney Farmer's Market......it might be closer to you and the whole thing is fun to explore.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:02 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopscotch67 View Post
I'm new to Dallas and looking for a source for produce (specifically tomatoes) to "put up" - I mean to freeze, can, make into spag. sauce, etc.

Thanks!
I, for one, LOVE the Dallas Farmers' Market. I can't really speak to prices, but I find things I can't find in the grocery stores.

Just last week, I was there and bought Patty Pan Squash; it has been decades since I've ever found that in grocery stores.
I didn't buy tomatoes, but I sure did see some beautiful ones there.

They have some wonderful items besides Produce.

take a look around::::
Welcome To The Dallas Farmers Market

Last edited by PopsGuysRule; 06-11-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 12:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopscotch67 View Post

Thanks!
We lived in Dallas for 13 years and depended on Farmers market for all of our canning products every year. After we moved away we made trips back to Texas every other year as my daughter and I can together every July 4th weekend. The last few years the prices have gone out of sight due to so many dealers and very few farmers. That being said, tomatoes are still a pretty good buy especially for "putting up" as you don't care about uniformity etc. I am laughing about the "putting up" expression. I had heard it for years as my parents always canned and so have I, but the first year my daugher got involved she mentioned to a friend at her work (this was 25 years ago) we were going to do some canning. Her friend said, oh what do you and your mom put up? Peggy's answer, well it depends on how high we stack them on the shelves, some are really not put up, just a eyes level..

NIta

Old 06-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Hi, nmnita....I remember talking to you last year about cucumbers. Our crop doesn't look promising at all this year - was hoping I could help you out this year! It appears our biggest crop this year is BUGS!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:12 AM

931 posts, read 2,134,109 times
I grow my own tomato's but I love the Farmers Market. Prices are high at the Market but so is the quality. 20 bucks will get you a lot of good stuff. The best way to go is to walk around the market and scout out places to buy.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
I grow my own tomato's but I love the Farmers Market. Prices are high at the Market but so is the quality. 20 bucks will get you a lot of good stuff. The best way to go is to walk around the market and scout out places to buy.
If you just want to buy enough for a few days or a week, I agree, the farmers market can be fun, but for those who want to buy in quanity so they can do some canning, it isn't all that great anymore.

Nita

Old 06-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Hi, nmnita....I remember talking to you last year about cucumbers. Our crop doesn't look promising at all this year - was hoping I could help you out this year! It appears our biggest crop this year is BUGS!
Thanks Gayle,

We have had a pretty hot summer here so we might be ok. As for last year, yes i do remember. I will tell you the story, for those who can they will enjoy it as well: we ended up getting our cukes at the farmers market right here in NWA. We were on our way to Texas, we stopped and there was this liittle Asian lady with cukes. She spoke no English. Her cukes were fresh and the perfec size for canning including some small enough to resemble Girgens (spelling) Anyway it was early in the morning and she had, along with the small little baskets for about $3.00 she had 2 bussels, each were $10. What I was thinking I don't know, I have been canning for my entire adult life, but anyway I was so excited I decided to take both bussels, each were $10.00: what a deal.. Now, fast track to this year: anyone want some pickels? I still have enough to feed the entire US Army.. ADvise: 2 bussels of cukes is a HELL of a lot...

Nita

Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 PM

Nita.....two bushels??!! Maybe ya'll had better find something else to can this year! Do you ever pickle squash? I've got enough squash pickles and squash relish to last a loooong time!!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Nita.....two bushels??!! Maybe ya'll had better find something else to can this year! Do you ever pickle squash? I've got enough squash pickles and squash relish to last a loooong time!!
yep, did almost the same with the squash a few years ago, not quite as bad though. We had an over abudance of squash in our garden so I made squash relish with a little bite (some hot peppers, just a few) anyway it was/is awesome but how oftern does one use relish? This was 3 years ago, I think I am down to my last couple of jars.

We have vowed this year to use our heads more than our hearts when we do our canning over the fourth. I think I might even skip entering things in the county fair this year. All the packing them to take to the fair, the picking them up at the end of the fair and a bunch of ribbons stuck in a shoe box, not sure we will do that.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: