Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 05:35 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,429,769 times

Advertisements

A woman, Angela Tramonte, traveled from Boston to Arizona for a first date with an Arizona cop. They went on a hike and she apparently got overheated and turned back to the car. But her date didn't turn back with her and instead continued with the hike. She was found dead on the trail near a home where she apparently went to try to get help. She apparently collapsed from heat exhaustion. Why on earth didn't he turn back with her?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wo...?ocid=msedgntp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 06:18 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Hasn't it been like 110 degrees in Arizona for weeks??

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...oenix/historic

Who would do anything outdoors in that heat?

Granted, perhaps the elevated areas aren't that hot - but then there are altitude (lack of oxygen) issues to consider. It's only been in the high 70's/low 80's in Boston. No way she could be acclimated to that heat or that altitude.

Yeah, he should have gone with her - but she probably didn't start to really deteriorate until later and told him not to. Neither expected she would die.

Gotta wonder where were the cell phones. Couldn't she have called him - or 911?? Of course, there may have been no cell service in the area, either.

Wow, not a good look for him.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:36 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Hasn't it been like 110 degrees in Arizona for weeks??

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...oenix/historic

Who would do anything outdoors in that heat?

Granted, perhaps the elevated areas aren't that hot - but then there are altitude (lack of oxygen) issues to consider. It's only been in the high 70's/low 80's in Boston. No way she could be acclimated to that heat or that altitude.

Yeah, he should have gone with her - but she probably didn't start to really deteriorate until later and told him not to. Neither expected she would die.

Gotta wonder where were the cell phones. Couldn't she have called him - or 911?? Of course, there may have been no cell service in the area, either.

Wow, not a good look for him.
Yes, but it was a date. I would think that they would want to stay together. It's not much of a date if they split up.

But you're right. It's not a good look for him.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:15 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
A woman, Angela Tramonte, traveled from Boston to Arizona for a first date with an Arizona cop. They went on a hike and she apparently got overheated and turned back to the car. But her date didn't turn back with her and instead continued with the hike. She was found dead on the trail near a home where she apparently went to try to get help. She apparently collapsed from heat exhaustion. Why on earth didn't he turn back with her?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wo...?ocid=msedgntp
He didn't turn back with her because she told him to go to the top of Camelback Mountain and get some pictures for her social media. She said she would continue on downhill. Unfortunately for her, heat exhaustion can cause confusion and it appears she got lost.

People die on Camelback just about every year because they don't think to take water with them.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:25 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
People die on Camelback just about every year because they don't think to take water with them.
I find that unbelievable. Unless this was to be only a very short hike - like two or three miles round trip - backpack w/water, snacks, first aid kit would seem to me only common sense.

What about cell reception out there? Is it that sketchy?

Old 08-04-2021, 08:38 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,060 times
One of the first things you learn while living in Phoenix is to carry water, always during summer. Camelback is rough for people who don’t understand the extreme desert heat. Why didn’t they have water, he should have known how heat effects people from out of state, even if she didn’t. Very foolish behavior from both of them.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,615 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
He didn't turn back with her because she told him to go to the top of Camelback Mountain and get some pictures for her social media. She said she would continue on downhill. Unfortunately for her, heat exhaustion can cause confusion and it appears she got lost.

Do you have a source for this information?

Old 08-04-2021, 09:42 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Every year 1 or more people die on the steep trails of Camelback Mountain from heat stroke. Just last year about the same time 2 hikers from Britain succumbed to heatstroke on the mountain.
Camelback Mountain has been having its worst streak of fatalities in its modern history. Its most deadly year seems to have been 2014, when four people lost their lives in three different accidents:
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...gedies-7554143

Old 08-04-2021, 10:13 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do you have a source for this information?
Yep.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ce/5463829001/

Old 08-04-2021, 11:21 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,725 times
I'm not in AZ but I'm in Southern California. August is definitely "no hiking season" for me. It's pretty simple and depressing to monitor the local news feed and see how often people succumb to heat stroke under these conditions.

It's easy to criticize the cop for letting her "turnaround and go back to the car" while he continued to the summit. But that does match my sense of how it would go on a strenuous GROUP hike. I would never do that with a 1st date. The mistake, was for either of them to go solo in such a harsh environment. I think cops are pretty famous for "having a partner" most times on the job, so sounds contrary to his own occupational training.

31 years old, that's so young. Such a loss. Heart goes out to the family + friends she left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events