Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 01:37 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,286,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I haven't seen any thing about her being a hiker. Only that she was a fitness enthusiast and worked out at a gym everyday. I presume the gym is nice and air-conditioned.
There are lot's of interviews with friends who say she's not a hiker, this was probably a first for her, but who really knows. I'm really really surprised anyone would go out in temps over 90 without water though, I won't even get in my car to drive somewhere without water when it's hot out. I am definitely NOT a hiker or a fitness buff but even I know what dehydration is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 01:55 PM

15,878 posts, read 21,481,434 times
It's easy to understand how someone could succumb to heat exhaustion, but something is absolutely fishy about this date.

Two of my scariest outdoor experiences was hiking in Israel in July. I was on a trip that was supposed to be focused on urban art - so a lot of cities, indoor, A/C - but then a conflict broke out and we were rerouted outdoors. None of us were well prepared.

In the first situation, we were on a relatively short hike. I tripped and fell, ripping open my knee on some sharp gravel. It was... gross. While a medic dealt with me, some other continued on the loop. They ended up taking a wrong turn and instead of a 1 mile loop, they ended up on the 2 mile loop. Not the end of the world, right? Well, they ran out of water (each was carrying 2 liters) and one of the girls went into heat stroke and had a really severe seizure. Luckily, she was with others and a passing group gave her their water and helped her back to the air conditioned bus. We both ended up in the hospital overnight.

A few days later, we went to the famous Masada. Typically in the summer, you hike a very short (<.5 miles), ancient ramp before sunrise both so you can experience sunrise from the top, as well as avoid the heat. We had to evacuate to an air raid shelter overnight, so it was decided we'd hike up a little later even though we were all already under-rested. We hit the trail at about 8 a.m. and it was already 90. By the time we hit the top, it was close to 110. There were water stations at the top, so not only did we all drink the water we brought, but we filled up 2 or 3 times on top before coming back down. We took a longer path back down, and most of us had run out of water halfway through. It was scary. My hands swelled up and I was shaking - all I could think about was getting myself and the other people I was with back to our air conditioned bus and more water. We all made it, but our next stop was the Dead Sea and I found myself sprawled out like an idiot on the cold tile floor of the welcome center drinking bottle after bottle of ice water, the most expensive watermelon I've ever eaten, shaking and trying not to throw up. A few of us spent 2 hours on that floor while people passed by looking at us. We never made it into the Dead Sea - it was hard enough getting off the floor to make it back to the bus.

Neither event was very long. The hike up Masada was less than half a mile and coming back down was about 45 minutes. Both are wildly popular hikes - and really could barely be called hikes except for the elevation change. But there's also no shade, something I'm very unfamiliar with as an East Coast hiker. I always knew the heat and sun could be dangerous, but that's the first time I felt it in such a short time. It was shocking.

But what's most shocking about this situation is the Arizona resident didn't ensure that they packed enough water and when his guest started to feel bad, he didn't turn around with her. A cop should certainly know better - and you'd think his instincts would kick in to protect... unless something else was going on.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:58 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,561,238 times
From this link someone posted - https://beerfriends.com/Blog/Hiking-...o-Canyon-Trail - it lists deaths on this trail over the span of eleven years (one incident per year) from 2011 to 2018. Out of eleven incidents, seven of the deaths are attributed to falling, whereas three are attributed to heatstroke.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:03 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's easy to understand how someone could succumb to heat exhaustion, but something is absolutely fishy about this date.

Two of my scariest outdoor experiences was hiking in Israel in July. I was on a trip that was supposed to be focused on urban art - so a lot of cities, indoor, A/C - but then a conflict broke out and we were rerouted outdoors. None of us were well prepared.

In the first situation, we were on a relatively short hike. I tripped and fell, ripping open my knee on some sharp gravel. It was... gross. While a medic dealt with me, some other continued on the loop. They ended up taking a wrong turn and instead of a 1 mile loop, they ended up on the 2 mile loop. Not the end of the world, right? Well, they ran out of water (each was carrying 2 liters) and one of the girls went into heat stroke and had a really severe seizure. Luckily, she was with others and a passing group gave her their water and helped her back to the air conditioned bus. We both ended up in the hospital overnight.

A few days later, we went to the famous Masada. Typically in the summer, you hike a very short (<.5 miles), ancient ramp before sunrise both so you can experience sunrise from the top, as well as avoid the heat. We had to evacuate to an air raid shelter overnight, so it was decided we'd hike up a little later even though we were all already under-rested. We hit the trail at about 8 a.m. and it was already 90. By the time we hit the top, it was close to 110. There were water stations at the top, so not only did we all drink the water we brought, but we filled up 2 or 3 times on top before coming back down. We took a longer path back down, and most of us had run out of water halfway through. It was scary. My hands swelled up and I was shaking - all I could think about was getting myself and the other people I was with back to our air conditioned bus and more water. We all made it, but our next stop was the Dead Sea and I found myself sprawled out like an idiot on the cold tile floor of the welcome center drinking bottle after bottle of ice water, the most expensive watermelon I've ever eaten, shaking and trying not to throw up. A few of us spent 2 hours on that floor while people passed by looking at us. We never made it into the Dead Sea - it was hard enough getting off the floor to make it back to the bus.

Neither event was very long. The hike up Masada was less than half a mile and coming back down was about 45 minutes. Both are wildly popular hikes - and really could barely be called hikes except for the elevation change. But there's also no shade, something I'm very unfamiliar with as an East Coast hiker. I always knew the heat and sun could be dangerous, but that's the first time I felt it in such a short time. It was shocking.

But what's most shocking about this situation is the Arizona resident didn't ensure that they packed enough water and when his guest started to feel bad, he didn't turn around with her. A cop should certainly know better - and you'd think his instincts would kick in to protect... unless something else was going on.
Yes. I waver between thinking it was stupidity on his part, and thinking there's something fishy. Or some of both.

Your experience in Israel makes me very glad I never took a friend from highschool up on her invitations to come visit her in Israel, where she'd gone after completing college. Over a couple of years, her mom called my mom to convey her invitation, and each time I'd think, "why would I volunteer to go to such a hot place in the summer?" Not only that, but there was some kind of conflict going on at the time, so it didn't seem particularly safe. Is there ever a cooler season? I might have been up for going at the right time of year, if there is such a thing.

IDK. Being from coastal California, I don't think the Near East is quite my environment. I'm used to the fog of the Bay Area, and cool temps almost year 'round.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,471,439 times
Baaaaad call!!!!!! I would have never let her go back alone invthose conditions especially considering she was not used to the climate.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 22 days ago)

35,705 posts, read 18,057,688 times
Since neither of them had any water, I'm not sure it would have made any difference at all if he came with her or not. There's nothing he could do. She was walking downhill the whole way after they parted, so carrying her would only increase her heat with two bodies being so close.

It's not even clear they had water at the car. Once she began to get sick from heat, the deal was done, unless they ran into hikers who could give them water.

Since I live in Texas, and not Boston, I really am COMPLETELY aware that you don't go off to climb a small mountain up a mile and a quarter in the heat with no water. It's just unfathomable.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:12 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,268,796 times
A GoFundMe page has been set up by her friends.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/6fh8sw-ju...ource=customer

Old 08-05-2021, 02:14 PM

I found this, when I googled her name. Her friends are suspicious, and have started fund-raising for an investigation or legal case.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-cult...-met-instagram
Quote:
Dizdar had a history of lying while on duty which made Tramonte’s friends agitated. According to The Daily Beast, Dizdar had lied to Arizona police in 2009 about his identity during a criminal investigation.
Quote:
Another friend, Melissa Buttaro, stated that she had heard that Tramonte always carried a water bottle with her, which would make the circumstances of her death questionable.
And another friend said, Angela "was obsessed with drinking water" as part of her health regimen.
Quote:
The GoFundMe also claimed there were many inconsistencies in the timeline of Tramonte’s death.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:39 PM

More:
Quote:
Dizdar reportedly told investigators he was Tramonte’s “boyfriend”
The medical examiner is waiting for the toxicology report, which could take 90 days to process.

We may have to revisit this topic in a few months, after the results of the toxicology reports are known.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:02 PM

30,214 posts, read 11,874,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
He didn't turn back with her because she told him to go to the top of Camelback Mountain and get some pictures for her social media. She said she would continue on downhill. Unfortunately for her, heat exhaustion can cause confusion and it appears she got lost.

People die on Camelback just about every year because they don't think to take water with them.
Often people from out of state who underestimate what the heat can do to you and they end up on the news like this poor woman. You would think her date the cop would have made sure they she had plenty of water. When I lived in Scottsdale we would go often to the mountain and there were always so many people on the trail I don't see how you could get lost.

Apparently there is more to the story:

https://www.crimeonline.com/2021/08/...ore-her-death/

Both Comeau and Gerardi are skeptical of Dizdar’s reported claim that Tramonte asked him to take photos for her Instagram account.

“Honestly, if she wasn’t in the picture, she wouldn’t have posted it,” Comeau said. Gerardi and Viola concurred: “We called her the selfie queen.”

Gerardi and Viola said two posts appeared in Tramonte’s private Instagram account on Friday morning, showing scenery from the hike, but Tramonte wasn’t in them. CrimeOnline has not independently verified the contents of Tramonte’s Instagram posts.

“We don’t 100 percent know if it was her who posted it,” Gerardi said.
Multiple sources who knew Tramonte say they don’t believe the apartment where Tramonte spent Thursday night with Dizdar is where he actually lives — though Tramonte believed he did, they said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events