Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:23 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,244,914 times

Advertisements

So, it seems like Google workers do listen in - even though it's just for research and development(yeah, right). Still, I thought that the data was compiled and stored; not actively listened to.
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/goog...ry?id=64291108

And, according to the story, same for Amazon's Alexa.

I gave an Echo/Alexa to my older parents, who never warmed to the idea of talking to device. They gave it back, and I was pondering hooking it up to be hip and modern cool. Nah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 06:22 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,017,766 times
I have almost completely switched from google to duckduckgo due to all the recent news about the company. I wonder how many others have been turned off by some of the headlines?

Old 07-13-2019, 06:27 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,667,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I have almost completely switched from google to duckduckgo due to all the recent news about the company. I wonder how many others have been turned off by some of the headlines?
I use Duckduckgo too. Just don't trust Google

Old 07-13-2019, 07:48 PM

6,463 posts, read 9,836,314 times
I really enjoy the music from Amazon. I don't say anything to be worried about what Alexa hears. They would be bored by listening in on me most of the time haha

Old 07-13-2019, 08:21 PM

15,545 posts, read 10,533,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I was an early supporter of Google, but I've switched too.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:23 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,643,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I use Duckduckgo too. Just don't trust Google
I doubt anything we do really makes that big of a difference, when it comes to spying....we can avoid Google and other things like it, but we do not know the full extent of their spying, it may make no difference whatsoever, and they still get access to what they want.

I can almost guarantee, they have spying methods that NO ONE on here is even aware of!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,751,772 times
Do a test, say something like "I want to buy ____." "I heard this place ____ was really good." "Can you look up some places to eat." to yourself or someone else.

Then open your browser a day later and you may start seeing pop-up ads that coincides with the conversation that Google recorded. That's how analytics work.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:30 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,488,396 times
We won't have one of those things in our home. They are evil.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:59 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,643,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Do a test, say something like "I want to buy ____." "I heard this place ____ was really good." "Can you look up some places to eat." to yourself or someone else.

Then open your browser a day later and you may start seeing pop-up ads that coincides with the conversation that Google recorded. That's how analytics work.
Ive tried something similar with Google searches, and it seems like Google has the ability to read my mind, (before I start typing).

I realize some people will say they learn from a persons past searches and internet history, but that was not the case in the times I tried it, I searched for something totally different, and STILL, the pop up search selections, the question I was going type, was first.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:25 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,446,880 times
I believe I have a captive audience here in this particular thread. I'm not so much worried about what they'll hear, at face value, but what that information might be used for unexpectedly.

If I go full-on tinfoil hat, my worst speculated outcome would be for an ongoing transcription (and audio files) to be kept on users to not just target ads, but to create a "social credit score" for the individual based on what is hear, vocal tone, etc.

I don't want to come home one day and get on the phone to vent to my best friend, then have some smart assistant log my vocal stress levels, voice fingerprint, and word choice and label me mentally unstable. LOL. Then I get a surprise next time I go into Bass Pro Shop - "Sir, I'm sorry, we can't sell that to you".

------------------------------------

Just remember, there's a reason Gmail gives you 15 GB of data at no out-of-pocket cost to you. What's more suspicious is Google photos. You can pay for more storage, but if you let Google size your photos for you, you can store an unlimited amount. (???)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events