Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 03:34 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,820,603 times

Advertisements

Always remember if it's "free" (GMAIL, and others) you are their product--not their customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 03:43 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Always remember if it's "free" (GMAIL, and others) you are their product--not their customer.
I wish someone would frame that.

And to think, my company just moved from Microsoft Office to G Suite

Old 07-14-2019, 06:37 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I have almost completely switched from google to duckduckgo due to all the recent news about the company. I wonder how many others have been turned off by some of the headlines?
Mine somehow got disconnected from the internet. It keeps telling me it's no longer connect....gee too bad.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:01 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,746,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Do a test, say something like "I want to buy ____." "I heard this place ____ was really good." "Can you look up some places to eat." to yourself or someone else.

Then open your browser a day later and you may start seeing pop-up ads that coincides with the conversation that Google recorded. That's how analytics work.
Open your browser, or even turn on your tv and start seeing ads for these places & things. It's creepy.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:17 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,989,126 times
We were in the car following a Google map to a destination and we started talking about socks.
The next day an add for socks was in my email.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:51 AM

2,606 posts, read 3,406,498 times
Do people have these things so that they are "cool", "hip" or "with the times" or do they actually find them useful? I find them to be a nuisance and an invasion of privacy. I know a bunch of people who got tired of "Alexa" after the novelty of their silly toy faded off.
The more of these things you allow into your home the less privacy you have. Anytime you put something on your wifi you creating an entry point for eaves droppers like google, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple along with hackers getting access to your network.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive tried something similar with Google searches, and it seems like Google has the ability to read my mind, (before I start typing).

I realize some people will say they learn from a persons past searches and internet history, but that was not the case in the times I tried it, I searched for something totally different, and STILL, the pop up search selections, the question I was going type, was first.
That's Google's "special sauce" but it's nothing more than just very predatory data gathering and analytics.

Just do a Google map search and it already guesses where you may be heading based on past history of your GPS location and searches.

Past weekend, I was searching for places to eat and it already assumed that I heading to a diner and popped up various locations that I used to frequent.

The way to stop that is stop using Google searches or use different accounts.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
I don't have Alexa and I also have the microphone in my computer (and the camera) turned off. BUT even so, I'm pretty sure that there are other ways to monitor what I'm talking about, where I'm driving, etc.

All I can say is that if "they" are monitoring me, someone sure is bored out there.

"Where did she go today?" "Oh, to the grocery store and then the post office."

"What did she google today?" "Scottish health care plans. Michael Jackson. Average size of a garage."

Old 07-15-2019, 07:43 AM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Do people have these things so that they are "cool", "hip" or "with the times" or do they actually find them useful? I find them to be a nuisance and an invasion of privacy. I know a bunch of people who got tired of "Alexa" after the novelty of their silly toy faded off.
The more of these things you allow into your home the less privacy you have. Anytime you put something on your wifi you creating an entry point for eaves droppers like google, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple along with hackers getting access to your network.
Mine was given to me as a gift so it didn't cost me a dime. It was fun for a while asking it simple things for information, hearing the news and weather and asking it to play music. It was basically a toy before I found out if was listening to me.

That said, I live alone. It's not hearing very much, LOL.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:53 AM

16,552 posts, read 19,725,221 times
Google nor Amazon are recording you without your consent.
Google nor Amazon nor Facebook are eavesdropping on your conversations and sending you ads. I have tested this so much it's not even funny. Like analytic thorough testing.
In the article, any one actually read it?

Google and Amazon employees can listen to audio that you VOLUNTARILY SEND TO THE SERVICES. When you say "Alexa" or "OK Google"... this is the audio they have access to.
This should surprise no one.

Google gives you free storage space for the same reason Apple does: because they know you will run out and then they will sell you more. Period. Plain old trying to make money.
It's pretty brilliant actually. Apple gives you 5GB. Everyone runs out of that. Then they offer you like 20 or 50 for only 99 cents a month. Actually not a bad deal. The last estimate I saw was 11,000,000 people pay that 99 cents. A month. Apple is making $11 MILLION dollars a month on that alone.

I'm not saying these companies are all safe and secure and on your side. But the level of spying some of you think is going on: isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events