Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 07:24 PM

114 posts, read 56,981 times

Advertisements

This is just a sad story! Any way you slice it!

Old 03-14-2020, 10:16 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Not a B.S. post! I've been on C.D. posting for awhile with good reputation ,btw. I suppose I should not have said "local" as I'm in NW Indiana, but it was on FOX Chicago news and I clearly remember! I will look for the report, but to be fair, I don't know the family, not from their town, I just clearly remember what was reported and even asked my DH to make sure I heard correctly. If they reported wrong, then I apologize.

Also, I'm not trying to say the grandfather was completely innocent here as he should have been smart not to put her on the ledge in the first place, but he was older and we don't know about his eyesight or health. Maybe I see the good in people too much, but can't imagine going on a cruise with my family and purposely dropping a relative off the boat! He seemed to be sincere and his family believed him as well. At any rate, it's sad!
This is certainly what has been repeated over and over in the press, but Grandpa was only 51 when this happened. I will be 51 in a few months and it is so hard for me to believe that anyone my age would attempt to use an "older/bad eyesight/confused/feeble" etc. defense for something like this.

I have a couple of friends who are 50 and have toddlers who are their own birth children, not even grandchildren! 51 is not old!

Old 03-15-2020, 04:51 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Who said it was the only window open on the entire deck? Link?

There is no protocol that windows must remain closed during boarding. I have been on many cruises (incl sister ship) and it was always acceptable to open the windows.
It was a poster from Indiana where the family is from who stated this story was in their news for quite some time and this was reported locally. That the window was broken and RC was in process of replacing it but hadn’t yet.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is certainly what has been repeated over and over in the press, but Grandpa was only 51 when this happened. I will be 51 in a few months and it is so hard for me to believe that anyone my age would attempt to use an "older/bad eyesight/confused/feeble" etc. defense for something like this.

I have a couple of friends who are 50 and have toddlers who are their own birth children, not even grandchildren! 51 is not old!
My eyesight started going bad in my 40’s. If he had Diabetes it could’ve been accelerated. He looks a lot older than 51.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:06 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My eyesight started going bad in my 40’s. If he had Diabetes it could’ve been accelerated. He looks a lot older than 51.
I don’t like the way he is referred to as an old man when he is only 51. That’s not old. He does look older than 51, though. If you look at photos of him both before and after the accident, he wears really thick glasses. So I do think there is probably a problem with his eyesight other than color blindness.

My husband is in his 50s, no diabetes, but has been wearing glasses for a few years for both near and far vision. I’m older than him and I only need reading glasses.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:07 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
The idiot grandfather is 100% at fault here.

Consider this -- what if the window was closed and she didn't fall out?

Putting a toddler, standing up, on a 4 foot high railing, is NEGLIGENCE. She could have easily fallen and hit her head on the glass or rail and been knocked unconscious.

Of ccourse the idiot family would be suing the cruise ship even if the window was closed.

They're precious little white snowflakes who think that anything bad that happens to them is somebody else's fault.
This is what I wondered. SO WHAT if there WAS glass there? Would it have been OK to drop her THEN?

All this 'oooo, she liked to bang on the glass at her brother's hockey games." What the heck was wrong with these people to let a kid bang on glass in the first place? Besides the annoyance to everyone else, how smart is that to let a toddler bang on glass to begin with safety-wise?

This child died of adult stupidity.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:24 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is what I wondered. SO WHAT if there WAS glass there? Would it have been OK to drop her THEN?

All this 'oooo, she liked to bang on the glass at her brother's hockey games." What the heck was wrong with these people to let a kid bang on glass in the first place? Besides the annoyance to everyone else, how smart is that to let a toddler bang on glass to begin with safety-wise?

I agree 51 is not old! Im almost 50 and I need glasses for near and far as well. As another poster said, certain health conditions can make eyesight worse.

I also agree that it was a stupid move on the grandfather to put the child up on a railing regardless if he thought the window was closed or not, but I'm sure most parents at some time have done something that probably wasn't exactly smart. He made a bad decision, but his reactions and that of his family who are close to him believe it was an accident and I would also like to believe that.

As far as RC being negligent, I guess that's up to the courts.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Everybody bangs on the glass at the hockey games, it was a thing it wasn’t just her. It’s plexiglass or something not actual glass that shatters if it gets hit. If it was it would break every time a puck hit it at 100 mph. Yes he made a terrible mistake in judgement and I think she moved too fast for him to grab her, but I think it was a tragic accident, most of which are based on terrible errors in judgement.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:41 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Yep. Banging on the plexiglass is pretty normal at hockey games. One night a puck sailed right between my left ear and a friend’s right ear. After that we sat near the plexiglass-protected areas.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:58 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Everybody bangs on the glass at the hockey games, it was a thing it wasn’t just her. It’s plexiglass or something not actual glass that shatters if it gets hit. If it was it would break every time a puck hit it at 100 mph. Yes he made a terrible mistake in judgement and I think she moved too fast for him to grab her, but I think it was a tragic accident, most of which are based on terrible errors in judgement.
Agreed. And I’m sure windows of every ship are extremely shatterproof to endure sea conditions. Certainly a child would not be able to break the glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events