Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:25 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid one of our neighbors would frequently leave his car running in the driveway after getting home from work. I'm not sure what his routine was after pulling up to the house or why he didn't turn the motor off and remove the keys first thing but he didn't, and he was partially deaf and apparently couldn't hear the engine. Us kids would usually be playing outside and often had to go knock on the door and tell them that the car was still running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Do none of these cars squawk when the driver releases the seat belt while the engine is running? I can see all of the above problems being real for drivers not thoroughly conditioned past the step of physically turning the car off and removing the keys, but a seat belt warning should be a pretty strong clue you've forgotten something.
I've never been in a car that had a seat belt warning while the car was in park. My car doesn't even have an alarm for the seat belt, and my husband's car doesn't start dinging until after the car has been in drive for a minute or so.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 PM

253 posts, read 229,038 times
This is so sad. There should be a mechanism on these cars to prevent this

Old 06-20-2019, 12:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's not that it's "hard." It's that for someone who has done it a different way for decades, it's easier to forget "the new way," especially if 1) the car's engine is super quiet, and 2) the carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless (it is) and 3) he was headed for bed anyway. Carbon monoxide poisoning is actually a very pleasant way to "go." You don't even notice it - you just fall asleep peacefully.

So if he didn't have carbon monoxide detectors, it's easy to see how this happened to me.

Please please please invest in some cheap carbon monoxide detectors!

This hits the nail on the head for most of these cases I've read about, because I'm not sure that the over-representation of the elderly in these tragedies can so easily be attributed to cognitive decline.

While that can certainly be a factor (or the reason), it can just as easily be that, after decades of associating having the keys when they exit the vehicle with having turned off the ignition, that visual "cue" is misleading. If it can confuse younger users, it can do more of the same for those with deeply ingrained habits.

I also read that a young woman had driven into her garage, exited her vehicle, closed the garage door, then began unloading groceries. Fortunately for her, on one of her trips to and from the kitchen, she wasn't sure she'd turned off the ignition, so she checked.

I'm not familiar with keyless ignitions, but our cars are super quiet even without that feature. Maybe there should be standardized audible and visual safety features for these vehicles.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
To be honest I don't see the point in push button cars.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
What?! OMG, I can't believe I'm reading this either! I almost didn't mention the voice part but if I hadn't, I was afraid people might think it's just something easy to walk away from & therefore; underestimate it. I would rather mention it & have people think I was looney tunes than to give folks a false sense of security.

And you are right about how good it feels just laying there; very seductive. You don't feel like you are dying until you try to move. But I wouldn't have moved; had I not been told to.

I've got to show this to my dad; ever since this happened to me he's always worried about it happening again. He even just bought me a new alarm. It's just that people looked at me so weird when they would ask me; "How did you know to get out of there?" And my answer was "Because somebody told me to".
WOW. You are not kidding - IT WAS THE MOST TERRIBLE AND URGENT (but calm in a strange way) voice that I have EVER heard! It just kept saying "GET. UP. GET. UP." Oh wow, I didn't want to.

The doctors told me that once someone goes to sleep, they basically never wake up. Nothing wakes them up. So I really count myself as lucky, or blessed, or however you want to say it. Let me just rephrase that - I knew once I lay in the hospital recovering that my life truly had a purpose and I better figure out what it was.

I never would have gotten up off that floor if it hadn't been for that VOICE insisting that I do so. CRAZY!!!!! You are the only other person I've ever met that experienced that!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
To be honest I don't see the point in push button cars.
Well, I haven't taken a key out of my purse for at least eight years. No scrambling for it, no looking for the keys, I just get in my car and push a button and it starts. I love it.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:28 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I haven't taken a key out of my purse for at least eight years. No scrambling for it, no looking for the keys, I just get in my car and push a button and it starts. I love it.
I do have to take my key out of my purse, as the fob is the only way to lock the car when I get out of it. The lock button on the inside of the door won't work if the door is open. It's annoying to have to fish out the key from my purse, but it's a fail-safe to prevent locking the key in the car.

Manufacturers need to make a fail-safe to prevent deaths like the one being discussed here. So sad.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I do have to take my key out of my purse, as the fob is the only way to lock the car when I get out of it. The lock button on the inside of the door won't work if the door is open. It's annoying to have to fish out the key from my purse, but it's a fail-safe to prevent locking the key in the car.

Manufacturers need to make a fail-safe to prevent deaths like the one being discussed here. So sad.
The car should cut off after a bit - mine does. I think it's ten minutes. I get a notice and then it shuts off if I don't hit some button or do something.

I also don't have to ever take the key out of my purse - but I do have to touch the door handle to lock the door, via thumb print. Cool thing - it won't work with anyone else's thumb print! They would have to use the key fob. I think that's awesome!

Oh and the doors won't lock if I leave the key inside - like if I leave my purse inside the car, which I don't ever do - but if I did, I'd need to take the key out.

It also opens automatically when I put my fingers on the door handle - but only my fingers. Super cool! Anyone else would have to use the fob to unlock the doors as well.

That might not work for everyone but it works great for me!

Cars can be pretty dang smart these days, but there's still user error!

Old 08-27-2019, 08:03 AM

645 posts, read 707,297 times
What are some of the EARLY symptom of the carbon monoxide poisoning, not sure if my car's exhaust system have a leak, but as soon as I have those early symptoms, just get out the car and I should be fine? thanks for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events