Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 03:00 PM

25 posts, read 58,422 times

Advertisements

My family is from the cold midwest and looking for someplace warm to vacation and take in the new year. We're thinking about South Padre Island. I hear they have a big fireworks display, and its obv the warmest place in Texas on average that time of year. I was in SPI late last January, wasnt quite beach weather but still a hell of a lot better than than cold & snowy. Hotel rates were super-cheap then too.

Anyone spent the new year in SPI? What kind of stuff is there to do in the winter compared with summer in SPI, and is everything still open seasonally? I was in Galveston a couple years back in late December, was kind of cold and lots of stuff was closed...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 03:52 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardown54 View Post
My family is from the cold midwest and looking for someplace warm to vacation and take in the new year. We're thinking about South Padre Island. I hear they have a big fireworks display, and its obv the warmest place in Texas on average that time of year. I was in SPI late last January, wasnt quite beach weather but still a hell of a lot better than than cold & snowy. Hotel rates were super-cheap then too.

Anyone spent the new year in SPI? What kind of stuff is there to do in the winter compared with summer in SPI, and is everything still open seasonally? I was in Galveston a couple years back in late December, was kind of cold and lots of stuff was closed...

Thoughts?
I was there on New Years two years ago. I think we had highs in the 60s, so it wasn't too bad. I didn't swim, of course, but I did take some nice beach walks. I don't think anything (restaurants/bars) were closed, but that's probably because the Winter Texans are arriving during that time. You heard correctly about the fireworks.

If you have kids with you, check out Sea Turtle Inc. I bet there's still some bay fishing going on at that time, as well. There is also the birding center. I haven't been to the center, but there is a nature walk there that was there before the center was built that I've walked. Boy, that was an awkward sentence, but you get the drift! Oh, there's also the Brownsville Zoo only 20 minutes away.

I don't think Galveston gets the winter Texans, so I imagine lots does close. I was there eons ago in December and about froze to death!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:16 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I don't think Galveston gets the winter Texans, so I imagine lots does close. I was there eons ago in December and about froze to death!
Yep, that wind coming in off the water can cut to the bone at times, can't it?

I second all your suggestions. There should also be some tours going out for dolphin watches I'd think, maybe someone can verify this. There's also another place that you can view different sea critters in aquariums and the man there is very knowledgeable regarding them. It's small, but we enjoyed going through it. They operate off of donations. I think it might be in Port Isabel though, I'm trying to remember.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Yep, that wind coming in off the water can cut to the bone at times, can't it?

I second all your suggestions. There should also be some tours going out for dolphin watches I'd think, maybe someone can verify this. There's also another place that you can view different sea critters in aquariums and the man there is very knowledgeable regarding them. It's small, but we enjoyed going through it. They operate off of donations. I think it might be in Port Isabel though, I'm trying to remember.
Yes, forgot about that one. It is in Port Isabel. I think I remember that it is run by the Colley's (couple with a dolphin watch boat)??? Or maybe they're just mentioned in the place. I honestly can't remember.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:33 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes, forgot about that one. It is in Port Isabel. I think I remember that it is run by the Colley's (couple with a dolphin watch boat)??? Or maybe they're just mentioned in the place. I honestly can't remember.
Bob Phillips (Country Reporter) is on TV right now doing a segment on this. I just happened onto it and it was almost over, so didn't catch their last names, but it is a couple (George and Scarlett) doing this. They do have a boat and do the dolphin watch tours ( I was thinking that was where we learned about the place in town when you mentioned it). I think they just now called it the Sea Center on the Country Reporter, I don't know if that's the proper name for it or not, but they showed the interior and it is the same place we went to. My daughter and her friend was 15 at the time and thought it was really cool. I thought so too!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Bob Phillips (Country Reporter) is on TV right now doing a segment on this. I just happened onto it and it was almost over, so didn't catch their last names, but it is a couple (George and Scarlett) doing this. They do have a boat and do the dolphin watch tours ( I was thinking that was where we learned about the place in town when you mentioned it). I think they just now called it the Sea Center on the Country Reporter, I don't know if that's the proper name for it or not, but they showed the interior and it is the same place we went to. My daughter and her friend was 15 at the time and thought it was really cool. I thought so too!

That's them! We did a dolphin watch with them years ago and it was incredible. It's pricier than the others but well worth it. That's so funny they were on today. I missed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi