Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,668,358 times

Advertisements

To quote the illustrious Bill Whitlock, who is ABSOLUTELY one of the brightest in the A/V field...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Whitlock
Exotic cables will not stop noise. Expensive cables, even if double or triple shielded, made of 100% unobtainium, and hand woven by virgins,
will have no significant effect on hum or buzz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 01:04 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,438 times
Default HDMI & RWY cables set up

My direct tv, DVD player and TV all use the 3 plugs set up. Direct TV installers no doubt used these cables because of the DVD player with the 3 plugs

I bought a new DVD player all region that plays only, this had a HDMI cable, I noticed the picture was better.

Do I need to replace all the cables now to HDMI's?

If that is correct, Do I need to buy a new DVD player to properly connect this player that only records Region 1 DVD's this only has the plugs

I noticed when I first put in the PAL DVD the tv screen went snowy with dots of color then adjusted itself, I haven't noticed it again since I played more of the PAL dvds, maybe the TV adjusts itself now.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,425 times
Never have figured out what technical issues require an HDMI cable to cost so damned much compared to any other cable on the market. So it has to be sheer greed. You can alway buy an HDMI to DVI or VGA adapter and just use a DVI/VGA cable instead. And then run the audio separately.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
12 dollars for 3 at CVS. Signal is clear and bright (And I'm a picky art director)

Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
12 dollars for 3 at CVS. Signal is clear and bright (And I'm a picky art director)
Onward to CVS

Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Never have figured out what technical issues require an HDMI cable to cost so damned much compared to any other cable on the market. So it has to be sheer greed.
It's actually a pretty good scam retailers and cable makers have going. When people are already buying the HDTV and the Blu-ray player, it's not that hard to convince them to shell out another $50 or $100 for a cable that costs maybe 50 cents to make.

Print some nonsense on the package and get the sales guys to regurgitate it, and you've got a fantastic revenue stream.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
I suggest you take a good look at www.monoprice.com the next time you need cables of almost any kind. Outstanding prices and high quality. Great selection of all types. I have been buying from them for years now.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 AM

237 posts, read 499,237 times
I agree with Hoffdano. Monoprice is the only place I'll buy cables from anymore. Don't believe the hype of overpriced cables when a $3.00 HDMI from Monoprice does the same job as the $50 big box version.
j

Old 05-26-2012, 10:57 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,879 times
I have bought cheap and expensive cable for my AV toys over the years. I am a bit of a snob when it comes to picture and audio quality. That said, I have never noticed a difference in signal quality. Virtually all of the cheap cables I bought 5-10 years ago are still in great working order. If a 10" thick HDMI cable with a gold plated, titanium-reinforced lead shield does indeed yield better signal quality on a fancy scientific instrument, I am sure the human eye and ear would be unable to tell a difference.

Check reviews for cheap products on big shopping sites, such as Amazon. If dozens of people are getting good results from a $5 HDMI cable, it's probably a safe bet.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:01 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's actually a pretty good scam retailers and cable makers have going. When people are already buying the HDTV and the Blu-ray player, it's not that hard to convince them to shell out another $50 or $100 for a cable that costs maybe 50 cents to make.<snip>
Good point. I think this is why it's hard to find inexpensive cables at big-box retailers (e.g. Circuit City, Best Buy, Hi Fi buys, etc.) Not to mention the fact that these "high quality" cables can be found for far less via. internet retailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics