Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times

Advertisements

After tiring of hearing DH complain about the picture on our living room TV, ("the picture on the tv in the bedroom is much better...")
I bought an HDMI cable, since it was only hooked up with the regular cable hookup. Now the picture is MUCH better, but the volume control isn't working right...we can only change the volume through the TV, when I try to change the settings through the cable box it just says "fixed" for volume control, and won't let me go over and change it.
Has anyone had this happen? Is this the only way it can work now, by changing the volume through the TV? It's just a pain switching from cable to change channels to TV to change the volume. (mode-tv-vol up-mode-cable-channel up/down-(now the vol is too high)-mode-tv-vol down, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I've only ever had my cable box hooked up via HDMI and I've never been able to control the volume from the box itself. So I'd say that the symptom and the cable are connected.

One workaround might be to use a store-bought programmable remote. It could probably adjust the volume on the TV in the same mode as it controls the cable box.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:49 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I don't have Time Warner cable and I've never heard of this being an issue with any tv/cable remote. Perhaps it's the way you've got the cables plugged in to each component. Will your cable company provide some over the phone tech support or will they want to charge you to send a tech out? Do you know any teenagers? If you do, call them. They can figure out all kinds of technical challenges. Plus, they love the opportunity to make us older folks feel stupid. ha ha

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM

279 posts, read 625,014 times
Had the same problem when switching to HDMI on TWC, call them you need to set it up properly with them (in the cablebox menus) . Also make sure your TV is set to HDMI Audio.

-Steve

Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
This issue is normal, your supposed to be controlling the TV volume, not the cable box volume. You need to look at the manual for the remote, with mine (comcast) there is a setting that forces the volume control to always change the TV volume no matter what device the remote is set to.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 29,476 times
To all who have a problem changing volume on the cable box when using HDMI: Step 1. Turn off the cable box. Step 2. Unplug the HDMI cable from the box. Step 3. Connect the TV using coaxial cable (the old fashion way). Step 4. Adjust the Volume on the cable box to about 80% high. Step 5. Turn off the cable box. Step 6. Reconnect HDMI cable. Step 7. Now you can control the volume using only TV Volume control or the programmed Cable Control.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 28,469 times
Default can be fixed via your remote

F. Program the Volume Controls.
By following the steps below, you can program the volume controls
(Volume UP, Volume Down and MUTE) to your TV, VCR and Audio.

The default volume control settings on the remote control is TV volume
control. If you wish you can control the volume via your cable box or audio
equipment.

Use the following steps to change the volume control settings:

STEP1 Press the [CBL] button and the [SELECT] button simultaneously
for 3 seconds. The [CBL] device LED will turn on.
*Tip : The device LED will light on for 20 seconds. The next step must
be entered while the LED is on.

STEP2 Press the [ VOL + ] button.

STEP3 Press the [ CBL ], [ AUD ]
(whichever applicable) button.
The [CBL] device LED will blink twice to confirm the
programming.

To return to original state:
If you wish to restore the TV volume control in CABLE mode, repeat the
above steps by pressing [ TV ] button in STEP3 .

Old 08-03-2013, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 15,021 times
My issue with TWC in WI - the box is causing my screen to black out the bottom half of the TV. Can't watch anything. I've changed boxes 3 times and was also told that my problem was because I wasn't using HDMI cable. I started using HDMI and the problem still exists. I was told by TWC that they were having issues with HDMI and that I wasn't the only one calling and that I didn't need service. That was 4 days ago - still having issues and now I have to wait another 2 days for a technician. Not happy with TWC at all.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 14,122 times
Talking volume issue

found I couldn't fix volume on the DVR settings and front panel only through the tv but wasn't loud enough, so go to settings,then quick settings, scroll up to devices..a blue screw pops up scroll up to audio:range I selected narrow and instantly had a much higher volume..i am using a coax cable connection so it may you may try the other two if using hdmi or a theater system mahalo

Old 06-11-2015, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 14,122 times
Talking volume issue

found I couldn't fix volume on the DVR settings and front panel only through the tv but wasn't loud enough, so go to settings,then quick settings, scroll up to devices..a blue screw pops up scroll up to audio:range I selected narrow and instantly had a much higher volume..i am using a coax cable connection so it may you may try the other two if using hdmi or a theater system mahalo also just found problem with front volume control settings, devices, audio volume control set it to varible to use front panel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics