Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 64,041 times

Advertisements

We are a married couple (both in our early 30's) with an 8 month old and are looking to move from Westchester to either Darien or New Canaan. The lower property taxes and potential for more land are huge selling points. We both work in NYC however but are prepared for a longer commute. That being said we have a few questions:

-If you live in New Canaan, can you pay to park at one of the Darien train stations?
-If you live in New Canaan, can you use the Darien beaches?
-Is one a "younger" town then the other?
-Both have excellent schools, but is one better then the other?
-Any general pros and cons about each town would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

-CThomebuyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 08:36 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Well welcome to the CT board and state. Great choices as far as towns go.

I'm not sure about train stations as I never take them. I live border of New Canaan and have lived border of Darien for 4 years.

I can tell you...New Canaan has more history then Darien. New Canaan is a younger crowd only because Darien prices might be slightly higher.

But you can't go wrong in either. The only flaw I can see right off the bat is New Canaan will be an extra 10-15 minute commute. You're closer in Darien.

You're closer to downtown Stamford in Darien and near CT Avenue strip of stores but you have more local shops in New Canaan..

You might want to add Westport to your list if commuting is not an issue.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
New Canaan I think would be younger, but not by too much (it really depends on what neighborhood you end up in). Both towns are fantastic, but New Canaan will be 15 minutes or so longer to NYC than Darien, and is a tad more rural.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I think New Canaan is a lot friendlier.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:30 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CThomebuyer View Post
-If you live in New Canaan, can you pay to park at one of the Darien train stations?
It would be rare for anyone in New Canaan to drive to a Darien station. Unlike New Canaan, there are no parking permits currently available in Darien: Welcome to the Town of Darien, Connecticut - Railroad Station Parking

Quote:
-If you live in New Canaan, can you use the Darien beaches?
Welcome to the Town of Darien, Connecticut - BEACH/PARK PERMITS

Quote:

-Is one a "younger" town then the other?
-Both have excellent schools, but is one better then the other?
Both of these questions are highly subjective. I don't personally believe that there is a meaningful difference between the two towns with regard to age and schools. I definitely do believe that New Canaan is friendlier and has a more relaxed pace than Darien.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:18 PM

Thank you to all for your replies. We drove through both towns over the weekend and really liked each town for different reasons. The extra 10-15 minutes of commuting time is a drag, but New Canaan felt more like a town with it's town center. Darien didn't have the same feel. We also didn't like how 95 cut through Darien. Will still look at both to make sure we are getting the most value for our $.

Any thoughts on West Norwalk? There were a few nice neighborhoods along the Darien border.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:46 AM

32 posts, read 103,671 times
An added complication about the commute is that it is an additional 10-15 minutes, if you get a train right away. The train does not travel to NC as often as it does between NYC & all the costal towns.

Would you not consider Westport? Even though it is further, it is easier to get to. It is a younger town, and has a great town center.

We are a couple in our 30's (me early, my husband mid) with a 2 year old and a baby due very soon, and we have been living in New Canaan. We love the town center, and how walkable it is. The Nature Center is also very cool, and there are a number of good and affordable preschools. Everyone we have met has been very welcoming, except for a few high strung shop ladies downtown who are not so fond of toddlers. We don't have beach rights, but we have Waveny Park. There is an amazing pool there.

Darien's library is worlds nicer, and the location is much more convenient. I feel like I have to go all over the countryside to run errands, but some people enjoy the quieter life in NC.

Good luck!

Oh, and sorry I don't know much about West Norwalk.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:

Any thoughts on West Norwalk? There were a few nice neighborhoods along the Darien border.
Probably your best decision. Its closer than New Canaan and prices are less expensive with the same quiet feel of the other 2 towns.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
If schools will one day be a priority, I'd scratch Norwalk from the list, unless you don't mind paying for private schools. West Norwalk is a beautiful residential area, but it is still a part of the city of Norwalk. And you'll get much more of a community, family feel in New Canaan or Darien, with excellent schools. And in West Norwalk you'd still need to drive a fair distance to a train station.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
There is a reason you will pay more for a home in Darien and New Canaan. You really can't compare them to Norwalk. Norwalk is a small city so it does have some of the issues you would find in an urban area. The schools there perform under the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. The schools in Darien and New Canaan are among the best performing in the state. These towns are considered some of the most desirable in the country. You will pay for that. If you can afford these towns, I would recommend buying there. Jay

Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 PM

Thanks again to all who replied. We're in the early stages of looking but your insight is extremely helpful.

A few more questions though:
-We have used Kelly Associates in Darien, but do not have a realtor in New Canaan. Any suggestions?
-Are there any extraneous costs with living in Darien or New Canaan? (e.g. do you have to pay for your trash removal? In our current town, the town picks up the waste/recyclables.)

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut