Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:52 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camefromwest View Post

We moved from the San Francisco area to New England in 2007, and That goes to show you that posters on message boards are in need of enlightenment.
There are other areas worse than "The Valley" like East Haven, but one rarely refers to these communities in such a manner.
I've never personally attempted to dissuade anyone from buying in the Valley as i think there's a lot of value to be found there. I'm interested though in what components of East Haven lead you to feel that Ansonia, Derby, and Naugatuck are better communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
I agree with this post 100% we love Oxford as well and JV's valley vibe comment really makes me nuts. If I recall from past posts his main experience with Oxford is attending a kegger here in the 80's.
It makes me a little nuts too because what JV and SCR claimed about Oxford is not evident when I go there. I contributed to that thread defending Oxford because what it was like in the "80s" is not what it is like now. Heck, no town is! In the greater Waterbury area, Oxford ranks second in HH income (slightly behind Cheshire, and higher than both Middlebury and Southbury). Hardly the demographic for a town full of "hicks". LOL

Moving on...Wolcott is a decent town. I know a few kids who grew up there from college and all were from good families and spoke very highly of their town. It's mainly middle class with a few upper and a few lower class neighborhoods. Rather conservative from what I hear, as well.

Also, JV - there is a difference between Waterbury and the lower Naugatuck Valley. If Waterburians are moving to Wolcott, it's becoming Waterburyized, not Valleyized. Right?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I've never personally attempted to dissuade anyone from buying in the Valley as i think there's a lot of value to be found there. I'm interested though in what components of East Haven lead you to feel that Ansonia, Derby, and Naugatuck are better communities.
I don't get that comment either. I do think Derby has a lot going for it once the damn downtown is finished (or even STARTED), but until then, East Haven certainly has the upper hand when compared to Derby (though Staven is a breed of their own, lol). Ansonia has mostly nice parts, but the cruddy parts between Wakelee and Division change the desirability factor of the town. And Naugatuck has gone way downhill in recent years.

IMO the only desirable areas of the Valley are Oxford, the more rural sections of Shelton, and along the southern portion of Bridgeport Ave. And the other poster was right that people in those areas actually get offended when you say they're "Valley". LOL

Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
I agree with this post 100% we love Oxford as well and JV's valley vibe comment really makes me nuts. If I recall from past posts his main experience with Oxford is attending a kegger here in the 80's.
Oh good Lord. No, that's not my "only" experience at all. I spent the formative years of my life practically living in Southbury and surrounding areas due to a very "serious" (Ah youth) girlfriend who's family moved there from "Naugy". Also being a finish carpenter back then I worked in the new construction homes all in the area that you folks now live in.

AND for the record, we were not talking about modern day Oxford in that post. Here have a "revisit" for yourself.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...southbury.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It makes me a little nuts too because what JV and SCR claimed about Oxford is not evident when I go there. I contributed to that thread defending Oxford because what it was like in the "80s" is not what it is like now. Heck, no town is! In the greater Waterbury area, Oxford ranks second in HH income (slightly behind Cheshire, and higher than both Middlebury and Southbury). Hardly the demographic for a town full of "hicks". LOL

Moving on...Wolcott is a decent town. I know a few kids who grew up there from college and all were from good families and spoke very highly of their town. It's mainly middle class with a few upper and a few lower class neighborhoods. Rather conservative from what I hear, as well.

Also, JV - there is a difference between Waterbury and the lower Naugatuck Valley. If Waterburians are moving to Wolcott, it's becoming Waterburyized, not Valleyized. Right?
Again, you also need to revisit that thread. We were talking 15-20 years ago.

Also regarding the "Naugatuck River Valley", no it's not just Waterbury and I'm not really talking about the rural towns. The "vibe" starts in Torrington, goes through Waterbury, Naugy, Seymour, Dirty (Derby), Shelton (Shelt-in), and ends at the butthole of the dog Bridgeport. (Cliff Claven anyone? A "Valley" native - Bridgeport.)

So, no Wolcott is not being "Waterburyized" it gained a "Valley Vibe" from the influx of Naugatuck and Waterbury citizens moving there. Both towns are part of the Naugatuck River Valley. If we are talking rural towns, then Wolcott is defintley part of the "Valley" as much as Oxford/Plymouth/Thomaston etc

I went to High School in Wolcott and still have some friends there, I know the town pretty well. It's okay, and your descriptions fits pretty well.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Oh good Lord. No, that's not my "only" experience at all. I spent the formative years of my life practically living in Southbury and surrounding areas due to a very "serious" (Ah youth) girlfriend who's family moved there from "Naugy". Also being a finish carpenter back then I worked in the new construction homes all in the area that you folks now live in.

AND for the record, we were not talking about modern day Oxford in that post. Here have a "revisit" for yourself.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...southbury.html

Again, you also need to revisit that thread. We were talking 15-20 years ago.

Also regarding the "Naugatuck River Valley", no it's not just Waterbury and I'm not really talking about the rural towns. The "vibe" starts in Torrington, goes through Waterbury, Naugy, Seymour, Dirty (Derby), Shelton (Shelt-in), and ends at the butthole of the dog Bridgeport. (Cliff Claven anyone? A "Valley" native - Bridgeport.)

So, no Wolcott is not being "Waterburyized" it gained a "Valley Vibe" from the influx of Naugatuck and Waterbury citizens moving there. Both towns are part of the Naugatuck River Valley. If we are talking rural towns, then Wolcott is defintley part of the "Valley" as much as Oxford/Plymouth/Thomaston etc

I went to High School in Wolcott and still have some friends there, I know the town pretty well. It's okay, and your descriptions fits pretty well.
Ahh okay. When most people hear "The Valley", it's automatically assumed by most people to be the lower Naugatuck Valley (from Naugatuck down RT 8 to Shelton). That's why I was when you said Wolcott was becoming Valleyized.

I really don't think anything south of Naugatuck has that "Valley Vibe" you speak of anymore. Lots of commuters in that area now. I've been to Thomaston/Plymouth and those towns are not much like their neighbors south of Waterbury. They're actually kind of......creepy?....in comparison. LOL

Old 01-29-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It makes me a little nuts too because what JV and SCR claimed about Oxford is not evident when I go there.

Neither JV or I can do anything about how our "claim" has been misconstrued. Here's the thread, for anyone interested in reading it themselves:https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...southbury.html

Funny enough, the school district profile link that our moderator JayCt often posts, includes the number of students that are eligible for Free/Reduced Lunch in the school district. According to this:http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/d...08/dist072.pdf, the Southbury/Middlebury district has only 2.2% of their students that are eligible.
Contrast this with Oxford:http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/d...08/dist130.pdf, where 6.5% of their students are eligible.

Granted, that is not a really significant difference, but it does give credence to our assertion that Southbury is still a more homogenous community than Oxford at the present time.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:39 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
I really don't think anything south of Naugatuck has that "Valley Vibe" you speak of anymore. Lots of commuters in that area now. I've been to Thomaston/Plymouth and those towns are not much like their neighbors south of Waterbury. They're actually kind of......creepy?....in comparison. LOL
LOL Yea for sure.

I agree on the "influx" changing the lower valley, these days your more apt to hear a "Newyawk" accent as you are someone saying "nuttin" or "suttin".

Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Neither JV or I can do anything about how our "claim" has been misconstrued. Here's the thread, for anyone interested in reading it themselves:https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...southbury.html

Funny enough, the school district profile link that our moderator JayCt often posts, includes the number of students that are eligible for Free/Reduced Lunch in the school district. According to this:http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/d...08/dist072.pdf, the Southbury/Middlebury district has only 2.2% of their students that are eligible.
Contrast this with Oxford:http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/d...08/dist130.pdf, where 6.5% of their students are eligible.

Granted, that is not a really significant difference, but it does give credence to our assertion that Southbury is still a more homogenous community than Oxford at the present time.
If you look a little closer, much of the statistics are from a decade ago. Some of the information is from 2007. Seeing that Oxford has been the fastest growing community in the state for the majority of those years (most of whom are affluent families from lower FFC and NY), I'd be willing to bet things have changed up there in a significant way. Population in that town has exploded in the past five years (30% increase).

Also, Southbury's district includes Middlebury as well, which is a town known for having old (family) money.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 01-29-2010 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-30-2010, 08:13 AM

722 posts, read 1,983,002 times
Wolcott may be a nice town depending on what you're looking for. I too go to school with some kids from Wolcott. They are ALL Italian conservatives. They all would be compared to their white American natives than their Jersey Shore counterparts. Some people say that they have an overkill of Italian restaurants. That's not true.

For Wolcott to be so close to a diverse city like Waterbury, I think its odd that there is so little diversity. A friend of mine move to Wolcott a while ago and the day they moved in, someone was having a cookout and said "lock your doors the puerto ricans moved in" (or something like that). THat just goes to show that wherever u go you'll be treated depending on your skin color.

However, although the neighbors on each side don't talk to them, they have REALLY nice neighbors across the street. They send Christmas cards and things like that. So I guess there are some nice people in Wolcott...

Old 01-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Wolcott may be a nice town
I guess there are some nice people in Wolcott...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut