Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,012 times

Advertisements

We have neighbors that I believe are renting the home next to us. The family has been there for the last 7+ yrs, albeit the residents vary (differing family members/friends living there on a rotating basis - I believe they are from one of the Caribbean islands and come back and forth throughout the year, but there is always someone there). The current occupants are three very young females, one of which I have seen taking the bus to school (junior or high school I would guess) and the other two appear to be in their early 20s.

At any rate, beyond being loud, annoying and inconsiderate (yelling, screaming, constantly beeping car horns, car alarms, walking across our front yard, leaving papers and trash in their driveway, etc.), now they are neglecting their lawn. They have not mowed the lawn (front or back) in WELL over a month. As this property abutts ours, it is an unsightly annoyance. These girls seem to have absolutely no awareness of anyone but themselves and quite frankly, I'm tired of it.

We own our home and have lived there for 10+ years now. Therefore, I want to ask them to mow their lawn and to keep the noise down but my S.O. doesn't want me to say anything.

What would you do? I think their continued inconsideration for their neighbors needs to be addressed. We have tolerated much more than we probably should have throughout the years (noise and so forth). Enough is enough.

Or, should I simply report a 'blight' concern to the town (would lawn neglect be considered blight)? After all, their neglect for their property (again, which they rent) negatively affects our property value (we own).

Very frustrated and looking for feedback. I'm simply fed up with their lack of consideration for the people who live next to and around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:10 PM

2,857 posts, read 10,454,472 times
If you think they are renting, you could check with the Town's Assessor database and see whom actually owns the residence and perhaps let them know about how their tenants are not up keeping the house. It's likely if they don't upkeep the outside the same is happening inside. The landlord may care, but they may not.
You could check with your town but i highly doubt not mowing your lawn is against any town ordinance unless you live in a neighborhood with dues & fees or something.

Good Luck, sounds annoying.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:32 AM

4,548 posts, read 12,436,363 times
Not mowing the lawn IS against most town ordinances, but the actual height allowed by the ordinance could be quite high.

I agree with KH02. Find out who the legal owner of the house is and contact him first. If that has no effect, then go to the town with your specific issues. Start documenting those issues, and if you have nearby neighbors rally them to your cause. One person who complains is a crank, a group of neighbors who complain are a voting bloc.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,933,660 times
Yes, many towns do have ordinances against not mowing the lawn. If you do call to complain though, just be aware that those living there might assume it was you doing the complaining. Hopefully they wouldn't retaliate in any way. Someone in our neighborhood complained of the cars sitting around our neighbor's yard, and I later learned my neighbors assumed it was me who had made the complaint. (it wasn't) They've been giving me the evil eye ever since.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:40 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,594,605 times
Call the town. If it bothers you that much, mow the lawn for them. No one is going to go out of their way to protect your property value so do what you need to. Thats my view anyway. Winter is almost here so if you mow it a few times, maybe by spring better tenets will be living there.

After an elderly neighbor of ours passed away 2 years ago, her nephew was the executor and other than periodically checking on the home it sat empty for 1 year. When spring came the lawn was way out of control so another neighbor and I went over with our mowers and did a little spring clean up of our own. I mowed it for a few more months until the estate was settled and the house was sold.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 AM

722 posts, read 1,986,800 times
What town do you live in?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,932,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Call the town. If it bothers you that much, mow the lawn for them. No one is going to go out of their way to protect your property value so do what you need to. Thats my view anyway. Winter is almost here so if you mow it a few times, maybe by spring better tenets will be living there.

Mow their lawn for them? You've got to be kidding. The last thing I would do after a 10 hr day and taking care of my family, obligations and my own house is take care of theirs too! If I cut it, it will never need to be cut again...!

How about call the police and complain about noise? Have you tried a face to face with the people? I find that works most of the time (keep it civil, though).

I don't envy your position, good luck.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:45 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,594,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Mow their lawn for them? You've got to be kidding. The last thing I would do after a 10 hr day and taking care of my family, obligations and my own house is take care of theirs too! If I cut it, it will never need to be cut again...!

How about call the police and complain about noise? Have you tried a face to face with the people? I find that works most of the time (keep it civil, though).

I don't envy your position, good luck.
Oh thats right....me...me...me....me.......No I am not kidding. If you are going to complain about your "neighbors" or "neighborhood", do something about it. Just don't sit back and complain and whine to the police. My bottom line is the value of my home and maintaining it. If it means I have to get off my ass and actually do something, then I do it.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:08 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,932,490 times
I work my ass off, so should others. Come on over and cut my grass for me! It'll be tough, I have a 1.5 acre lawn with lots of leaves...

Old 09-30-2009, 11:28 AM

361 posts, read 387,217 times
There is probably not much you can do about it. Some groups of people invite guests to their homes and have parties in the back yard, others set up parties in the front yard for all of the world to see. Some talk in a civil, modulated tone of voice, others insist on talking at the top their lungs to each other. Some pass by their friends houses and have no need to honk their horns, others don't. The fact of the matter is some groups just don't mesh well together.

We recently moved from our home of 20 years to escape neighbors. We tried to be civil, we tried to get the town to help, we tried to get the police to help. My guess is your request to your neighbor to conform will be met with ........ let's say un-friendly behavour. I don't mean to be the harbinger of bad news but you probably have two choices ........... grin and bear it or move. As an aside the move for us was the best thing we could have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut