Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:36 AM

59 posts, read 212,624 times

Advertisements

So in one of the other posts, people were really ripping on Waterbury. Why? New Haven real estate is quite expensive, even for neighborhoods that aren't so hot. So, we went out a bit to poke around and look at stuff.

What are Waterbury and Bristol like? And why were people saying to the person not to move to Waterbury unless they couldn't afford someplace else?
We're finding some really nice, and affordable houses there.

Quieter than New Haven, yes? I'd rather have hubby commute a little than get in over our heads with the overall cost of living adjustment.

Just when I thought it was going to be easy, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,440,975 times
The reason most people steer people away from waterbury is because of the poor schools they have there (if children are a consideration), the crime level, and of course resale is tough since it's not a very desirable place for most family folks.
They do have some affordable housing and along the skirts of other towns there are some decent areas but the taxes are still high and the schools are still poor.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:46 PM

34,966 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Waterbury is an old mill city that is struggling. There is not a lot of tax base left there and taxes are very high for the quality and quantity of services you get. That is why home prices are so low. There just is not the demand. New Haven has managed to move away from manufacturing as an employment and capitalize on medical research and education. As they say "You get what you pay for". Jay

Old 09-25-2009, 03:43 PM

Yeah, but we're in Pickerington Ohio. I don't think there are crappier schools than here, except maybe Mississippi. Are the people who live there a bunch of retarded jerks who have no manners? That's what we've got in my neighborhood, more or less. There's no Utopia, but this is ridiculous.

We're in a position where we aspire to be in an even better place, but right now, we're starting from scratch. And right now, most places just _have_ to be better than here. I smell sulfur...and it's hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
The reason most people steer people away from waterbury is because of the poor schools they have there (if children are a consideration), the crime level, and of course resale is tough since it's not a very desirable place for most family folks.
They do have some affordable housing and along the skirts of other towns there are some decent areas but the taxes are still high and the schools are still poor.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:48 PM

786 posts, read 3,927,349 times
I'm familiar with Pickerington having lived in Columbus for 10 years. If you think Pickerington is bad, you will definitely not like Waterbury. The cost of living is a lot higher here in Connecticut, so if you have your heart set on moving here and you want something better than Pickerington, you need to look into spending a lot more money than you would in Ohio.

Just to add a crime comparison (taken from info here on Citydata), Pickerington's sex offender ratio is 2504:1, Waterbury's is 463:1. The crime index for Pickerington is 151.8, and Waterbury's is 363.6 . There were no murders in Pickerington, 3 in Waterbury. Can't believe you would think it would be better than Pickerington.

Last edited by CrissCT; 09-25-2009 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: added data

Old 09-25-2009, 04:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,880,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
I'm familiar with Pickerington having lived in Columbus for 10 years. If you think Pickerington is bad, you will definitely not like Waterbury. The cost of living is a lot higher here in Connecticut, so if you have your heart set on moving here and you want something better than Pickerington, you need to look into spending a lot more money than you would in Ohio.

Just to add a crime comparison (taken from info here on Citydata), Pickerington's sex offender ratio is 2504:1, Waterbury's is 463:1. The crime index for Pickerington is 151.8, and Waterbury's is 363.6 . There were no murders in Pickerington, 3 in Waterbury. Can't believe you would think it would be better than Pickerington.
Good points. I should also add that greatschools doesn't rate any Pickerington schools as less than a 6. So if the OP feels that their schools "suck", she's really going to be in for a surprise when it comes to our city school systems.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,022,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_bookgirl View Post
So in one of the other posts, people were really ripping on Waterbury. Why? New Haven real estate is quite expensive, even for neighborhoods that aren't so hot. So, we went out a bit to poke around and look at stuff.

What are Waterbury and Bristol like? And why were people saying to the person not to move to Waterbury unless they couldn't afford someplace else?
We're finding some really nice, and affordable houses there.

Quieter than New Haven, yes? I'd rather have hubby commute a little than get in over our heads with the overall cost of living adjustment.

Just when I thought it was going to be easy, eh?
It seems you might be confusing "culture" with "statistics". No offense.

You can not like the "vibe" of an area, and it can be an artists wasteland, but in reality have "okay" schools.

Having said that, as a Waterbury native; It's got probably loads more character then where you are, but it also has loads more of other baggage you might not want to deal with.

Look, I was and still am in many regards in the same shoes you are. My wife and I have no family money, we started late in life etc etc. Very much like two people getting off the boat in NYC looking to start a new life. Yet I still enjoy good theater, a funky cafe, a homemade Vietmanese pork sandwich, an old school dairy farm, a nice walk in the woods or a day at the ocean, or a walk in a historic city park. That's why I suggested Manchester to you. It's a decent, diverse, small city that has decent schools, access to everything, affordable homes, some good culture and "art" within it's city limits and access to Hartford's in 15 minutes.

CT can be very good and it can be very bad. The chasm is wide. There are only a few cities that are left for the working class stiff...especially those starting over. Manchester, Bristol are the two leaders for people like us IMHO.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:31 PM

Ok-- heard!! Waterbury is not the place to be. Didn't mean to hit a nerve. Was just asking. It's a forum for questions, no? Yes? Maybe?

Everywhere has more crime than bfe Ohio-- I hear you. Yep, higher cost of living, yep. The cost that is the highest for us right now is that my beloved 2 year old is lonely. The nasty kids here won't talk to her, they won't say "hi" back, they're stupid, and they play in the road. The people here are NOT nice, and rude is the norm. My daughter wants, needs, and deserves friends. Nice ones, who are interested in books (like her), and in counting in French (like her). My job is to support her in being who she is the the fullest degree possible.
We've been here since April 2008 and haven't made any friends. Not one connection. Not even with cupcakes. It isn't us, it's them. We're geeks, not jocks. We don't go to church, and we're not religious. We're not ultra-conservative, and we don't hate people for being gay.

And in response to the charming lecture Criss--As far as I can tell, Pickerington is giant rude a-hole central, so-- I would think it'd be better elsewhere. Murder happens everywhere. Crime happens everywhere. The biggest problem here-- meth addicts. It's like a swarm of loser around here. Not squeaky clean-- by a long shot.
Right now I'm just trying to muster the energy to get my family out of here, not go insane with the constant creaming of the brats outside, and the barking dogs (which never stops). I'm trying to tell myself not to be scared, to go for it, to try for better. I'm trying to tell myself that there is a place where people still have manners, who read to their kids (my neighbors "don't do that"), and who won't balk if I cook curry when we have them over for dinner.
I've been sick with worry over my daughter for _months_.
I need kindness, not crap please. Thanks.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:52 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,880,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_bookgirl View Post

And in response to the charming lecture Criss-.

I thought Criss' post was informative and an honest attempt to explain the differences. I guess we're rude here as well?

Old 09-25-2009, 04:59 PM

786 posts, read 3,927,349 times
I'm sorry you were offended by my post. I thought you could use a comparison from someone who is familiar with both places. I think you can find what you are looking for in Connecticut, but probably not in Waterbury. And based on what you say you don't like about Pickerington, I really don't think you would like Bristol that much either. Just trying to help you make an informed decision. Why go through the stress of moving just to wind up in a similar situation. I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut