Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle4 View Post
My concern now in reading some of the posts regarding "gang" violence in
I have a simple tip for you. When you're looking at postings here, check the number of posts that the person has made here on C-D. I'm sure that you'll notice that the posters who are dramatizing an issue, have very few posts to their credit. The administrators of the forum are pretty good at deleting the accounts of those who come on here with an agenda of some sort. So look in the upper right hand corner to see the number of posts made by the person who is responding to you, and bear in mind that those with a fair number of posts have established a sense of credibility in the eyes of those who run these boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 04:47 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,761,605 times
I noticed that number but didn't feel strongly enough to comment. I wish city-data still allowed negative feedback. Wouldn't the truth be evident if a poster had a reputation of -11 like on eBay?!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
I noticed that number but didn't feel strongly enough to comment. I wish city-data still allowed negative feedback. Wouldn't the truth be evident if a poster had a reputation of -11 like on eBay?!
Not reps. Actual number of posts. We all know the value of the rep thing.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:56 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,761,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Not reps. Actual number of posts. We all know the value of the rep thing.
I knew you meant number of posts. I have should probably started another paragraph for the comment on reputation points. There's a slight correlation, but not necessarily a direct correlation. I've been trying to give points for some time, but I have to spread some around first.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 PM

756 posts, read 2,220,034 times
Quote:
I have a simple tip for you. When you're looking at postings here, check the number of posts that the person has made here on C-D. I'm sure that you'll notice that the posters who are dramatizing an issue, have very few posts to their credit. The administrators of the forum are pretty good at deleting the accounts of those who come on here with an agenda of some sort. So look in the upper right hand corner to see the number of posts made by the person who is responding to you, and bear in mind that those with a fair number of posts have established a sense of credibility in the eyes of those who run these boards.
So, are you saying only the people with a lot of posts are credible? That makes no sense to me. I have seen some of the stupidest posts on here by "regulars" and some brilliant ones by occasional posters. Having a lot of posts on here doesn't make anyone more of an expert. Maybe I am misunderstanding you

Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
No, you don't need look elsewhere. Trumbull is a beautiful, very safe town. The area the other thread is discussing is the Bridgeport/Stratford border (along Barnum Ave) not near Trumbull. Stay north of the Merritt Pkwy and you will be fine. The Trumbull/Stratford border is perfectly safe and fine. Trumbull is wonderful
I agree. Trumbull is a wonderful and very safe town. You should not be concerned about what goes on in adjacent towns. Stay north of the Merritt Parkway and you should not have any concerns. Good luck, Jay

Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,649,309 times
JayCT, I also have questions on a possible relocation. Is it cool to ask on this thread or just start my own? Thanks.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,900 times
Quote:

Stratford no offense but everyone isnt going to see a town the same way u see it.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Stratford no offense but everyone isnt going to see a town the same way u see it.
Brass, no offense but if that's what you've interpreted my post to mean, then you should ask UConn for a refund, because they've failed at teaching you reading comprehension.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,690,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle4 View Post
Thanks to those who responded with some helpful info. regarding my possible relocation. The process is moving along and we are one step closer to needing to find a nice (younger) family-oriented neighbourhood to settle into. Initially, I had my sights set on Trumbull which looks to be a good area with nice homes for your money. My concern now in reading some of the posts regarding "gang" violence in Stratford and Bridgeport is that Trumbull is right next door. Does anyone feel justified cause for concern for a young family with 4 small children "setting up shop" (so to speak) in Trumbull? I'm confused more than ever now.....should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks
No, not to worry Trumbull is lovely. There was an attempt 20 years ago for gangs to move into Trumbull Shopping Mall, but that got taken care of quite quickly. The video game arcade was removed, the movie theater that was there was closed, and security was beefed up and there is a police sub-station around the side, no mall is perfect - but it is safe to shop and the town as a whole is good. Lots of parks, Trumbull Day in the Summer, a Winterfest, an art festival at town hall, 2 outdoor town swimming pools to get out an socialize with others in the summer, golf, tennis,good schools, safe neighborhoods. There used to be outdoor swimming at a public pond at Twin Brooks park (might not be anymore???), if you buy on Pinewood Lake or Canoe Brook you get lake rights if you pay for them.

All in all if you can afford it, then Trumbull is a winner.

Taxes though, that is another issue - - the town still does not have public tax referendum voting on the yearly budget so after a bunch of meetings, the town govt still decides how much mill rate will be each year. I've heard that most houses are taxed between 6-10K per year not counting your cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut