Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 6,237 times

Advertisements

Please we need help urgently because ma husband got a job in chester CTand i have a 2 years old daughter...we are looking for a place near chester, safest, good schools both daycare and colleges. Really we need a safer place. and some appartments/condo/house/ rent to own recommandations. it hard because my husband drives bout 150 miles a day and 4 times a week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
More information please, like a budget for rental and what you are expecting to get for your budget.

Keep in mind Chester is about the size of a postage stamp- little town- 3800 people or so. Adjacent towns are all similar and small. Perfectly safe- no need to worry there.

What you won't find are apartment complexes or condos. There may be some rents in the rare two unit house in Chester or nearby towns. You might be able to find a rent in the Piano Works condos or Georgetown condos in the town of Deep River adjacent to Chester to the south. Work with a real estate agent on that.

Figure out where you're going to land first, then check into day care.

As for colleges. Again, more info needed. Public or private- what are you studying ? No colleges in Chester or neighboring towns. There is a two year year state college and a four year private college ( Wesleyan University) in the city of Middletown, not far to the north of Chester. A very easy drive.

There are plenty of rents of all types in Middletown, which is a small city. Since you're new to the area, I would rent for a year and use that year to explore the region and then decide if buying might suit you.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:26 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
willow wind is spot on. Chester is a charming little town and probably has minimal rentals. I can't think of any unsafe area anywhere near Chester. Middletown is a great recommendation to look for rentals, as it is more city-like with a college (Wesleyan) meaning rentals are abundant. There are also tons of condos in the Middletown/Cromwell area if you can't find any rentals closer to Chester.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
I agree, you might be better off to start in Middletown. Look for a rental in the South End of town for ease of commute for your husband. It is a nice suburban area and there are a number of apartment and condo complexes there.

Middletown itself is a small city. It has a nice downtown area with a lot of interesting shops and restaurants. It is home to Wesleyan University and there is also Middlesex Community College. If those don't work there are a number of colleges in the Hartford area including Central Connecticut State, University of Hartford, Trinity and St. joseph's. Also not far would be UConn, Eastern Connecticut State, Quinnipiac, Yale, Albertus Magnus and southern Connecticut State. there would be many child care options in Middletown as well. Good luck, Jay

Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Just beware that the traffic in downtown Middletown is completely unacceptable, and is some of the worst traffic I have ever seen in the entire state. On the weekends, it literally took me up to 20 minutes to travel from my apartment just to get onto Route 9, due to the extreme bumper-to-bumper congestion in downtown at times. People are out and about, in Middletown. It's actually a rather lively city, for such a small city. Route 66 is a VERY busy 4-lane road with heavy traffic and lots of traffic lights. It was awful when I lived there, and I don't miss it. It's a major college town, and you will often see college kids in the stores purchasing booze, etc. According to the Census Bureau, Middletown has the #3 highest percentage of nonfamily households in CT; about 44%. But if you live south of downtown, you should be in great shape.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 PM

we looking to spend on suitable place but not too expensive, at least cheap or in between. For the schools, private or public is fine as long as they offer accelerated nursing program. house rental will do for now but mostly condos and the cities distance doesn't really have to be so close but a least 20 miles is cool. Am not really sure if i want to live in a very small down but i dont mind too. if we can expand the the city distances such as little bit to about 20 to 30 minutes drive to chester. Maximum should be 35 minutes to chester. thanks

Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Most colleges in that area are in the New Haven area. Middletown has Wesleyan which is sometimes referred to as a "little Ivy", but it has no nursing programs. I'm assuming you want a 2 year college if you're looking for accelerated? Gateway Community College is a good choice, with a brand new campus opening up in downtown New Haven this Fall. Also, there's Quinnipiac, Southern Connecticut State University, Yale (including Yale School of Nursing), University of New Haven in that area.

You could live between New Haven and Chester. North Branford, Branford, North Haven, Killingworth, Clinton, Westbrook, etc.

The only thing I'll say: are you SURE it's not Colchester? That's a more populated town. Chester is pretty sleepy. Just making sure.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:06 PM

yes its chester

Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM

i want to know if hamden is a safe place too and is it less expensive?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
More information please, like a budget for rental and what you are expecting to get for your budget.

Keep in mind Chester is about the size of a postage stamp- little town- 3800 people or so. Adjacent towns are all similar and small. Perfectly safe- no need to worry there.

What you won't find are apartment complexes or condos. There may be some rents in the rare two unit house in Chester or nearby towns. You might be able to find a rent in the Piano Works condos or Georgetown condos in the town of Deep River adjacent to Chester to the south. Work with a real estate agent on that.

Figure out where you're going to land first, then check into day care.

As for colleges. Again, more info needed. Public or private- what are you studying ? No colleges in Chester or neighboring towns. There is a two year year state college and a four year private college ( Wesleyan University) in the city of Middletown, not far to the north of Chester. A very easy drive.

There are plenty of rents of all types in Middletown, which is a small city. Since you're new to the area, I would rent for a year and use that year to explore the region and then decide if buying might suit you.
we looking to spend on suitable place but not too expensive, at least cheap or in between. For the schools, private or public is fine as long as they offer accelerated nursing program. house rental will do for now but mostly condos and the cities distance doesn't really have to be so close but a least 20 miles is cool. Am not really sure if i want to live in a very small down but i dont mind too. if we can expand the the city distances such as little bit to about 20 to 30 minutes drive to chester. Maximum should be 35 minutes to chester. thanks
and want to know about hamden if its a safe place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut