Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 AM

12 posts, read 37,421 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will start work in Southington, CT next month. I was to begin in Hartford & was looking to rent in Manchester alongwith my husband but my work location is going to be Southington for the timebeing.
I would like to know what are good places to rent between Hartford & Southington ( considering I might need to go both places in the future). Accessibility to Indian groceries would defintely be a plus.

All inputs are kindly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 11:58 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I would consider West Hartford or farmington. Also consider Southington itself. The northend of New Britain has some rentals in the West Farms area that are nice too. If you have kids though, be warned the schools in New Britain have issues. Jay

Old 11-07-2008, 05:50 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,329 times
Southington is only about 20 minutes from Hartford, so it is not a far commute to begin with. You can look to rent in Southington, or try neighboring Plainville or Bristol (which has more rents). West Hartford is another alternative. I don't know where there are any Indian groceries around, but a quick google search pulled a few names in Newington (about 15 min from Southington) Naugatuck (about 20 min) and others in the New Haven area.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:41 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
I bet theirs an indian grocer in West Hartford, as they have a few indian resturaunts. Seems to be a pretty big thing their.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM

12 posts, read 37,421 times
Thanks a lot for all your inputs. We dont have kids as yet ,hence schools are not a priority. I was also looking at Newington or even Meriden. They seem to be nice towns though not too many rental options. Manchester/ Vernon has a lot more variety & great rentals too.

jay- Are you aware of specific communities at the Northend of New Britain? Thanks!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:46 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipsy114 View Post
Thanks a lot for all your inputs. We dont have kids as yet ,hence schools are not a priority. I was also looking at Newington or even Meriden. They seem to be nice towns though not too many rental options. Manchester/ Vernon has a lot more variety & great rentals too.

jay- Are you aware of specific communities at the Northend of New Britain? Thanks!
West Hartford would be ideal (Cosmos International is a decent Indian grocer, plus 4 Indian restaurants as the other poster mentioned). If you are budget-sensitive, Newington is a good bet...2 Indian grocers there (Asia Grocer + Halal). Would not recommend New Britain.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
The two I know of are Pebblebrook and Normandy heights. They are right near the West Farms Mall so there is a lot of shopping nearby. Jay

Old 11-11-2008, 04:27 PM
ACR

4 posts, read 11,492 times
Quote:
Hi All,

I will start work in Southington, CT next month. I was to begin in Hartford & was looking to rent in Manchester alongwith my husband but my work location is going to be Southington for the timebeing.
I would like to know what are good places to rent between Hartford & Southington ( considering I might need to go both places in the future). Accessibility to Indian groceries would defintely be a plus.

All inputs are kindly appreciated!
New Britain might have a few less expensive rents available....but it's not Southington.
Southington has enjoyed the lowest (by FBI index) crime rate of any CT town with a population over 30,000 for over 3 decades.
A Decent 2 or 3 bedroom unit should cost between 850 - 1100 per month in Southington; often you can find half a two-family within that range as well (generally quieter, more parking, etc.)
The town is pretty friendly too; feel free to contact me if I can help you find your way around. doug (at) ctgop16 dot com
Otherwise; start with the local Chamber of Commerce 860 628-8036 - they're a wealth of information.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:34 PM

174 posts, read 639,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The two I know of are Pebblebrook and Normandy heights. They are right near the West Farms Mall so there is a lot of shopping nearby. Jay
Those apartments do seem to be the nicest in NB, but then again they are only about 10 feet from the Farmington line.

If you were to move to that area next month though...be aware that traffic near Westfarms is horrible with people going to/from the mall and plazas for holiday shopping. 71 and 9 get extremely backed up in that area from about now til January.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 PM

166 posts, read 705,473 times
FYI, there is a small Indian grocery store on Route 10 near the Southington/Plainville border. I think it's called Asia House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut