Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 42,312 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just got a job offer at a place in Norwalk, CT. I'm from ND, so this will be a pretty big move, but I'm definitely looking to move out to the area, so it is exciting. The only thing is that I can't decide is if I want to live in Stamford or Norwalk. I can't imagine a commute from Stamford to Norwalk would be that big of a deal, or am I wrong?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of leaning towards Stamford, but I can't really make up my mind. I would really like to be close to downtown Stamford. I don't have a family, I'm young, and wouldn't be horribly opposed to living in a studio, if it was nice and in the right area.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 03:30 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Norwalk will be a bit cheaper then Stamford for a studio apartment.

The commute time will be nothing if you choose Stamford and work in Norwalk.

Stamford , population 127,000 is The more attractive city, which offers much, in the way of clubs, great shopping and excellent restaurants plus is closer to NYC and Jazzy Greenwich- which is very very nice. Stamford is the home of several Fortune 500 companies, and in 2005 was voted the best place in the USA to reside. It has a very low crime rate.

Norwalk is basically A small manufacturing city; with some IT. It has some nice neighborhoods, and a few rather seedy. Population 80,000.
Both cities are located in southwestern Connecticut, in Fairfield county, Population 890,000. It is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation.
Stamford is about 40 minutes or less to NYC via I 95 (on a good day) Easier taking Metro North into the city.

Costs for studio apartment in Stamford will be over $950 a month for something of good quality.

Traffic on I 95 can be hellish. So try and avoid traveling at peak hours if at all possible. - I am sure you will be fascinated by Connecticut- there will definitely be some 'cultural shock' at first for you coming from North Dakota- however you will sure find lots to do here. Good luck, and Welcome to the Constitution State.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-09-2007 at 04:09 PM..

Old 02-09-2007, 07:37 PM

7 posts, read 42,312 times
Thanks for the very detailed and quick response as well as the welcome. From the sounds of things, I think I'll probably look more in Stamford then. Also any recommendations on places to look for an apartment? I've been looking on rent.com, craigslist.com and a little bit on apartments.com. Would I maybe be better off talking to a realtor since I'll have difficulty being able to really go see any of these places in person or are their fees pretty bad? I'm kind of trying to not surpass 1500 including utilities a little over would be fine as long as it's worth it and, of course, less would be great.

Also, do you happen to know if there is a toll booth between Norwalk and Stamford that I would hit?

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,118 times
Connecticut has banned toll booths on all its highways. They all have been removed since the mid-80's after a tractor trailer slammed into a line of cars waiting at a toll...Connecticut highways are very curvey. There are tractor trailer crashes/rollovers everyday on either I-84, I-91, and I-95 ( no exaggeration)

Old 02-10-2007, 04:43 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Thus far you are heading in the right direction in your apartment search. Seeking out a Realtor/broker is another possibility. I live in Tolland county- east of Hartford, so my information about real estate in Fairfield county is not that detailed. What have you come up with thus far?

You might try

The Stamford Advocate http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/
The Bridgeport News http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?brd=1343 (broken link)
The Connecticut Post http://www.connpost.com/
The Greenwich Citizen http://www.greenwichcitizen.com/

Old 02-10-2007, 07:10 PM

986 posts, read 1,865,514 times
I'm from Stamford, and it sounds like you'd really love it here! Maybe I'm biased, but I think there's a lot more to do in Stamford than in Norwalk. There's some amazing restaurants, good nightlife, and lots of nice parks. It's such a safe city - I've never felt unsafe downtown even in the middle of the night.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:59 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
I can't imagine suggesting someone move to Stamford when they will be working in Norwalk - the commute on I-95 is a nightmare in that short distance. Norwalk has a fun waterfront SONO area, a Maritime center, lots of area to choose from (East Norwalk is waterside, great beach and waterfront scene) West Norwalk and mid Norwalk. You have Westport next door and Fairfield right next to that (the latter rated one of the best spots to live in the USA)...

Old 02-10-2007, 10:22 PM

95 posts, read 447,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I can't imagine suggesting someone move to Stamford when they will be working in Norwalk - the commute on I-95 is a nightmare in that short distance. Norwalk has a fun waterfront SONO area, a Maritime center, lots of area to choose from (East Norwalk is waterside, great beach and waterfront scene) West Norwalk and mid Norwalk. You have Westport next door and Fairfield right next to that (the latter rated one of the best spots to live in the USA)...
Stamford to Norwalk would be a reverse commute. Not a problem.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:29 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,514 times
What about commuting via the Merritt Parkway? That's much better than I-95. You can take a lot of backroads from Stamford to get to Norwalk.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:58 PM

93 posts, read 394,297 times
If you're commuting to the Merritt 7 area of Norwalk, it would be much easier to take the Merritt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut