Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Just to clarify for the OP if she's interested in Milford: The "dirty areas" that LHM referenced are likely to be in Devon. I wouldn't characterize Devon as dirty per se. It's an older, more affordable section of the city that has commercial more closely intertwined with residential, hence the possible perception of grittiness.
Agreed - great way to put it. We looked at some houses in Devon and the area they were in wasn't "dirty" - it is older, but still very nice. I prefer Devon to other areas in Milford simply because you don't have as many big box stores in your backyard. It has a more quaint feel IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:12 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE_in_DC View Post
I am currently living in Washington, DC, and will soon be relocating to NYC for work... I am looking in the Fairfield County area, and am between the Stamford area, and the town of Fairfield, and Trumbull to a lesser extent. I know towns like Darien, Greenwich, and Westport are currently out of my price range, but there seems to be some middle ground... I grew up in Rhode Island, and have spent a lot of time in Connecticut, but am not too familiar with Fairfield county. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am mostly concerned with commuting time to GCT (don't want it to be much over an hour) and home costs (single family home ~$400k).
I'd recommend you take a look @ Norwalk. Prices in Norwalk are slightly less than Stamford--and Norwalk is about 10-12 mins further out on the Metro North train. However, Stamford home prices have dropped pretty dramatically in the past year though, and you *may* be able to find a cute little cape cod around $425-ish...maybe even $400k in Stamford. Stamford is an excellent city to invest in now...Norwalk is nice too, but I prefer Stamford due to its location to the city and it's strict zoning. Most "big box" stores have to go in downtown. It's a very safe city with an excellent quality of life.
Best of luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:43 AM

5 posts, read 12,942 times
Default What about New Haven?

Is that practical at all? Do people commute from New Haven to NYC? Any idea on the commute?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
New Haven is about an hour and 40 minutes from New York by train. There are people that do this but I personally would not. Jay

Old 10-14-2008, 03:25 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE_in_DC View Post
I am currently living in Washington, DC, and will soon be relocating to NYC for work... I am looking in the Fairfield County area, and am between the Stamford area, and the town of Fairfield, and Trumbull to a lesser extent. I know towns like Darien, Greenwich, and Westport are currently out of my price range, but there seems to be some middle ground... I grew up in Rhode Island, and have spent a lot of time in Connecticut, but am not too familiar with Fairfield county. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am mostly concerned with commuting time to GCT (don't want it to be much over an hour) and home costs (single family home ~$400k).
Since you are *most* concerned with commuting time, Stamford would be my #1 pick. BUT, options will be extremely limited for your budget--for a single family house in Stamford at that price. You *might* be able to get a 3 bdrm, 1 bath...but probably a 2 bedroom/1 bath at that price. Prices have dropped though, so it isn't impossible.
If you are flexible and would look at townhomes or condos, you'd have a much better selection in Stamford.
Norwalk should be your second choice. Somewhat cheaper home prices, but about 15 minutes further out on Metro North.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 PM

209 posts, read 607,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Just to clarify for the OP if she's interested in Milford: The "dirty areas" that LHM referenced are likely to be in Devon. I wouldn't characterize Devon as dirty per se. It's an older, more affordable section of the city that has commercial more closely intertwined with residential, hence the possible perception of grittiness.
My dad had a house in the devon section of Milford; it wasn't dirty it was just old. He had a great house 2 blocks from the beach, sure its not new, sure there aren't fancy schmancy homes there but its by the beach, its old in a beachy way and its cool. My sister lives farther up the road even closer to the beach, she's got a great 1 bedroom apartment for an affordable rate. If you are coming from a brand new faux chateaux kind of place, perhaps you would be adverse to the older neighborhoods. I personally find it refreshing.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 PM

575 posts, read 3,131,712 times
For you price range, you may want to look in Northern Fairfield county, specifically towns around Danbury as the prices will be a bit lower and you could use the Danbury station or drive to a station in NY. I don't know how long the commute is, but I'm sure someone here will know.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:53 PM

209 posts, read 607,820 times
I grew up in Fairfield so I'd recommend it for sure. As far as commuting to the city. I would go any farther north than fairfield. Stamford is ideal but pricey. One thing about CT is that you can have nice areas and urban areas not that far from each other i.e. Perhaps norwalk would be that happy medium; its exit 15-16 off of Interstate 95. Norwalk has some bad areas but some wealthy areas too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut