Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 10:48 AM

366 posts, read 779,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Hold my beer - says the guy from Huntington when you ask what its like living in Shelton.
LOL!! So true! I grew up in walking distance to Huntington Center, but we always said we lived in Shelton (c'mon people, who do you get your tax bill from??) There were Huntington snobs then too, before the advent of McMansions, when much of Shelton/Huntington was farmland, especially Walnut Tree Hill Road and White Hills areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 10:28 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
I've not been there in a long time but will take your word for it. Never heard anything bad said about it.
Most of Stamford is actually very suburbish (if that's a word) and would fit in just about anywhere in suburban CT. North Stamford has a more exurban feel, plus there are hardly any business north of the Merritt Parkway. You might as well be in the country there, a very wooded country with many homes scattered about.

The coast is very irregular and perhaps that leads to the belief that much of it isn't highly desirable, but in fact it's. The most well known most likely is Shippan Point, but west from there is Dolphin Cove which is quite nice. Harbor Point though not what it could of been is certainly better than what was there.

East of Cummings Park is actually a very suburbanish, very green and quiet residential area. Not many people know of Wallacks Point which is private and probably the ritziest part of the entire Stamford coast and rather small, but it's in that area.

In reality, the coast of all the towns in the area such as Greenwich, Darien, even Norwalk/Rowayton and beyond is nice more often than not. A nice seafront corridor. In addition to seeing this in maps and knowing the area, this also becomes noticeable by sailing or taking other boats in Long Island Sound. More often than not there are nice houses on the shore regardless if it's Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, etc.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:54 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
I've been to stamford many times, worked there for years, went out drinking in stamford when I was younger, took our kids to cove island, the arboretum & farm, but never really spent time in shippan unless you consider going to cafe silvium spending time in shippan.
Rented there for a time, mid city area. It’s a great place to work and drink no question, but living I couldn’t wait to get out, counted the minutes left on the lease.
Shippan is nice with elegant homes on the water. Arod rented a home there in his early Yankee years.
As a regular boater, Stamford does have nice views and spots but it’s the least appealing in the area by a wide margin. Many boaters will tell you the same. It does have good tog fishing off the breakwall just off Harbor Point as well as Flathead Rocks just off Dolphin Cove. I tend to stick around the island chain between Greens Ledge light and Cokenoe Island. That’s the real gem of the western CT aquatic region.

Old 01-21-2023, 12:54 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
I've been to stamford many times, worked there for years, went out drinking in stamford when I was younger, took our kids to cove island, the arboretum & farm, but never really spent time in shippan unless you consider going to cafe silvium spending time in shippan.
A little known secret is that at the very tip of Shippan Point (not where Shippan Avenue ends, but the street to the west) can be see the NYC skyline and one of the suspension bridges. I don't know which bridge it's. It truly is an incredible sight. You don't need binoculars or even 20/20 vision to see it. You look that way and there it's. It makes you realize that NYC is actually closer than thought or that the skyscrapers in Manhattan are talker than though, probably a combo of the two. The exception might be on those hazy summer days due to the pollution in the air and the shorter distances, it could make the skyline not visible. On a clear day and essentially on any sunny day in winter there it's.

The NYC skyline is also visible from the multiple high-rises around Downtown, Harbor Point, and other areas in Stamford.

Also viewable while boating in Long Island Sound, but for some reason it's more shocking from the ground. I don't think the NYC skyline is visible from anywhere else along the coast (public areas that is, because more than a few seafront homes have that view from their backyards.

The NYC skyline is also visible along many areas of the Greenwich coastline and especially in Greenwich Point.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:18 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
A little known secret is that at the very tip of Shippan Point (not where Shippan Avenue ends, but the street to the west) can be see the NYC skyline and one of the suspension bridges. I don't know which bridge it's. It truly is an incredible sight. You don't need binoculars or even 20/20 vision to see it. You look that way and there it's. It makes you realize that NYC is actually closer than thought or that the skyscrapers in Manhattan are talker than though, probably a combo of the two. The exception might be on those hazy summer days due to the pollution in the air and the shorter distances, it could make the skyline not visible. On a clear day and essentially on any sunny day in winter there it's.

The NYC skyline is also visible from the multiple high-rises around Downtown, Harbor Point, and other areas in Stamford.

Also viewable while boating in Long Island Sound, but for some reason it's more shocking from the ground. I don't think the NYC skyline is visible from anywhere else along the coast (public areas that is, because more than a few seafront homes have that view from their backyards.

The NYC skyline is also visible along many areas of the Greenwich coastline and especially in Greenwich Point.

Is this place in Shippan Point somewhere you simply drive to and see? I've gone to Greenwich Point and seen the view many a time including just last month (but only in Winter since from I believe April to October you have to either live in Greenwich to go there or pay an enormous amount of money to enter). I did not know about Shippan Point and want to check it out sometime, thanks!

The bridge is either the Whitestone or Throgs Neck but I'm not sure which either.

Old 01-21-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Is this place in Shippan Point somewhere you simply drive to and see? I've gone to Greenwich Point and seen the view many a time including just last month (but only in Winter since from I believe April to October you have to either live in Greenwich to go there or pay an enormous amount of money to enter). I did not know about Shippan Point and want to check it out sometime, thanks!

The bridge is either the Whitestone or Throgs Neck but I'm not sure which either.
No it’s residential private homes and properties, not a public park.
Throgs Neck Bridge

Old 01-21-2023, 06:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
North Stamford = Cheaper Greenwich

Old 01-21-2023, 07:12 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
North Stamford is actually not so different than North Greenwhich.

The average annual household income in North Greenwich is $341,889, while the median household income sits at $205,360 per year.
https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neigh...non%2Dcitizens.

The average annual household income in North Stamford is $271,501, while the median household income sits at $196,964 per year.
https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neigh...%2017.6%25.How to

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interpret Median and Average Household Income:
If the median and average household incomes are close to equal, this means that either measure can be used to accurately summarize household income at the geographic level...........................If the average household income is greater than the median household income, this means that there is significant income disproportionately concentrated in the wealthiest households. In this situation, median income provides a more accurate estimate of the income available to the majority of households since its value is not affected by the high income households.

The super rich people in the mansions in North Greenwich are giving the perception that all of north Greenwich is very rich.....it is not.
Median vs Average Household Income:* What is the Difference Between These Indicators, and How to Interpret Them - Manitoba Collaborative Data Portal.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Yes that statement is correct, good work

Greenwich - median home price 2.2M
Stamford - median home price 550K

Old 01-22-2023, 06:19 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Yes that statement is correct, good work

Greenwich - median home price 2.2M
Stamford - median home price 550K
North Stamford - discount Greenwich. Norwalk - discount Fairfield?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut