Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:48 AM

16 posts, read 82,881 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get your thoughts on this. I think our family has decided, for a variety of reasons, to move to Stamford. However, now I am faced with the task of trying to figure out WHERE in Stamford it live. I have narrowed it down to (1) North Stamford and (2) Westover. But, it's very difficult for me to understand the differences, if any, between the two. What are the reputations of the areas (the good and the bad)? Is one area pricier than the other? Are the schools better in one area versus the other? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 03:01 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times
I personally like Westover more, since it it MUCH closer to downtown Stamford via Stillwater/Broad Street and Greenwich via Palmer's Hill Rd. The landscape is pretty similar, although North Stamford has more new money (and McMansions), while Westover has a lot more old money (and blue-blooded attitude), and well built homes, since North Stamford was mostly farmland when Westover was already an established wealthy neighborhood. They both have beautiful scenery, although Mianus River Park and Preserve, in Westover, is a true gem.

As far as schools are concerned, I would go with North Stamford, or any other location in the Stamford High School district. Stamford High School provides a much more well rounded experience, and will produce a more well adjusted adult, in my opinion. It has a very good mix of upper, middle and lower class, black, white, Asian and Hispanic students, and most students and parents prefer it. Westhill is very split between very rich white Westover kids and very poor black West Side kids, and there is a lot of tension. It does have good academic opportunities and is less crowded but if schools are what concern you, I would go for Stamford HS.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:19 PM

By the way, the comments above were based on my experiences going through the school system in Stamford in the late 90s.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:43 PM

179 posts, read 293,966 times
i personally like the area going from new canaan down to davenport ridge rd towards which splits off towards your choice of downtown stamford or the high ridge area (very nice shops) part of stamford...the homes there are beautiful withs spacious plots and only a few minutes from everything you need. I am not sure what school zone you would be a part of there however. You always have your choice of sending them to the catholic school instead of westhill or SHS. I personally would have loved going to SHS but thats b/c its just a bigger version of the high school I already went to lol.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:41 PM

kd83-- If the boundaries for the district have not changed, that area's kids would be sent to Davenport Ridge ES, Turn of River MS and Stamford HS-- probably the most desirable track to be in.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:14 PM

36 posts, read 179,991 times
no brainer...NORTH Stamford

Old 03-06-2007, 10:33 AM

16 posts, read 82,881 times
thanks for all of your insight! i appreciate it. we are going up soon to check out the area, so i'll keep you posted.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 PM

8 posts, read 57,039 times
Where did you end up? Was it a good choice?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:27 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcrowsflyeast View Post
no brainer...NORTH Stamford
Agree. Great area, houses on lots that are big enough for privacy and small enough to maintain, great elementary and middle schools, very close to private high schools, lower taxes than most surrounding communities.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:46 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Agree. Great area, houses on lots that are big enough for privacy and small enough to maintain, great elementary and middle schools, very close to private high schools, lower taxes than most surrounding communities.
You do realize that the OP is about 7 years old. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut