Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 43,968 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a CA math teacher and I am moving to CT in August. I have applied for a CT temporary credential and am waiting for it to be reviewed.

I am wondering: when do CT districts usually conduct their interviews for hiring teachers? In CA it is usually end of August (right before school starts) but I am noticing it might be earlier in CT- which would mean that I am going to show up too late!

I have sent an electronic app to several districts and am willing to work ANYWHERE within 1/2 hour of Enfield, including Hartford.

Thank you Thank you for any advice/info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 PM

28 posts, read 105,227 times
Default same as us...

My husband is also a math teacher and we are trying to move to CT. Some districts have already hired. Some are interviewing now. Some have a deadline later in May or even June 1. Seems to me that if you get your application in you should be getting calls soon. We haven't had a lot of luck as we are looking in a very specific area, but it seems there are lots of jobs out there in places like Hartford, etc. My husband went up there a month ago and sent out emails to the districts he applied to to tell them that he would be in the area and he didn't get many responses. I think they don't even worry about looking at applications until the deadline in most instances that we saw. And my husband will get a full professional certificate because he is Natl. Board Certified, so they don't have to worry about certification issues... It has been pretty frustrating. You probably know about ctreap.. It is a great place to look and cea.org

Old 05-12-2008, 04:24 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,028,636 times
Connecticut has an urgent need for educators- science and math are priorities, but all subjects are needed. However as saharris has said its a rather difficult process getting hired at first for a full time position for most.

I have worked in several systems over the years, and many teachers with the appropriate certification and a Masters degree begin working as long term subs or in alternative education programs as tutors, and gradually get the experience in state or the town before they get 'grabbed' up.

If anything in Connecticut- which is probably now in a recession; education, social services and health care are still seeking candidates to fill jobs.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
If I remember correctly my sister started interviewing for fall teaching jobs in May and June. She was offered a job in a less desirable community right away but the more desirable communities were slower (I think July). Jay

Old 05-12-2008, 08:03 AM

146 posts, read 453,972 times
It all depends, often it differs by school district. In some districts teachers that are retiring have to give notice by end of February. So those schools are hiring now for next year. In some districts (like mine) they can wait until August and then suddenly announce they are retiring/leaving with no warning. Then the schools scramble to find people in August. So it all depends. But the sooner you can start applying, the better. But don't give up if you don't get something right away. Things always pop up, even sometimes mid-year for long term subs, etc.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 PM

8 posts, read 43,968 times
you guys rock- thank you for taking the time to respond...

i love this website

i will continue to apply/call/wait/hope

Old 05-12-2008, 10:38 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathTeacher View Post
you guys rock- thank you for taking the time to respond...

i love this website

i will continue to apply/call/wait/hope
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut