Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,928 times

Advertisements

hi, my husband is transferring to danburry he is a correction officer, he will be working at the prison. I really dont know anything about ct, and need help with schools special ed I have an autistic son high functioning. I also need help with good family oriented town that has city feel but still nice area. A place with shoping and things that are close by. willing to commute. is it possible to find anything around the 200,000 range in a good area with low real estate taxes and good schools? Is danburry a good area? any info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Danbury is a pretty nice city for its size. I've got a friend that has lived in the area for nearly two decades and he's quite happy there. You will have a tough time finding a really good house for 200 grand in the immediate Danbury area. Most will need some kind of work even if it is just cosmetics. Property taxes are high in every Connecticut city and town. Expect to pay in excess of $2,000 and probably closer to $3,000 for the most basic of homes. I have friends and family that pay upwards of $7,000 and higher for homes valued at close to half a million dollars.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:15 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times
One might be able to buy a townhouse of good quality 2 bedrooms 2 baths , garage for around 200-250K.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:13 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,428,667 times
For arond $200,000, you will most likely be looking at eihter condos in Danbury or New Milford. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Here is a link to information on the Connecticut Department of Education's web site on schools.

Strategic School Profiles by District

Hope this helps and welcome to Connecticut. Jay

Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,928 times
we have found a home in mls near the hospital in danbury is this an ok area? it is 250,000

Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,428,667 times
As a Realtor, I can't tell you what I think of the area. My experience has taught me that people that are looking for a single family home in the mid $200s never really see anything that they would like to make a home, and ultimately decide on a townhouse or condo. There are several condo and townhouse developments in Danbury to choose from based on various budgets, preferred location and amenities of the community. Good luck!

Jon

Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalarosa View Post
we have found a home in mls near the hospital in danbury is this an ok area? it is 250,000
If I remember correctly this area is just okay. There could be other areas that are better. Jay

Old 04-01-2008, 12:21 PM

246 posts, read 873,079 times
I'm surprised nobody gave the OP insight on the massive illegal immigration problem going on in Danbury.

There are tens of thousands of undocumented people living in Danbury - some are living 10+ to an apartment. They came over here from Ecuador illegally, are employed illegally, have children who are now US citizens and send them, illegally, to the Danbury public schools. They don't pay taxes, don't have health care and are ruining the city of Danbury. I lived in Danbury for 6 years, couldn't take the grittiness of the illegals and had to move. One would think that someone who wants to come here so bad and make a life for themselves would also respect their new city and neighbors. They are bitter toward Americans, throw garbage on the streets and drive illegally. The crime rate in Danbury has gone way up, as 95% of the time, you'll see a foreign name in the police blotter. Much of these problems are concentrated within a 2 mile radius of downtown, so if you can find a place that's not near the hospital, WCSU or Main Street, you will be fine.

There are many condominiums on the much nicer west side of Danbury on Mill Plain Road that might fit your budget, as well as on 53 going toward Bethel.

Good luck

Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,771 times
I live in Danbury now (will be moving in a month or so) Danbury is a city, but its very safe and has really nice areas. For a child with special needs it might be a good option since the schools get alot of funding being it is a bigger school district. It does have an immagration problem but who doesn't? The illegals don't bother you and besides, ICE is taking care of the law breaking ones. Danbury has some really beautiful areas. You can find a condo or townhouse for that amount, maybe a little higher and taxes are lower in danbury because of the jail, the mall (tons of store in danbury, target, walmart) the airport. You can look in New Fairfield, Bethel and Brookfield as well but you won't find much for that price range unless you get something really small for now. Maybe Southbury CT which is 15 mins from Danbury can be another option. You can look in New Milford as well-that is about 20 mins from Danbury.

I have to disagree with Yankee-Danbury is safe. Nothing bad rarely happens here, really. It is the safest city in CT. Trust me-I've been here 4 years! Also, alot of the illegals are from Brazil, not Ecuador. And alot of them are leaving for the Canada border because the cops are lurking. You should come and visit this area first then make up your mind. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut