Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:09 AM

13 posts, read 11,856 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am currently a Norwalk condo resident and in the process of purchasing a home in Darien CT. I have found something where I have an accepted offer. The house is perfect for me, my wife and daughter for many many reasons. Its is also on the high end of our budget but manageable due to city water, gas and city sewage.

The house is 250 feet away from train tracks. We didn't have any issues with train passing by while we were inside or outside the house. Noise is not bad at all and I grew in Queens so its not anything unusual to me. There are plenty of woods before the tracks and the train and tracks are barely visible during the summer months.

Finally my question, are there are health hazards that I should know about before I buy this house? Besides the obvious of going near the tracks. I am asking more about electrical or magnetic effects as well as any fumes etc. I want to make sure I dont put my family at risk. I know there are plenty of people that live on both sides of the tracks and i95 in Darien, but I still want to ask this question before I pull the trigger. Any help or advice would be appreciated to help me make a decision.

Thanks,
Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 12:13 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
I am not aware of any health hazards but you might want to ask this question over on either the Real Estate or House forums where they could get more responses. Jay

Old 05-27-2018, 05:21 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,399,512 times
The effects caused by fumes should be small, since most of the trains are electrified.

Regarding electro-magnetic fields, perhaps you should ask the question in the Science & Technology forum.

My un-expert thoughts are that if there is an issue it would take prolonged exposure at close proximity. However, the conductors ride the trains for hours every day, and there's been no reported cancer cluster of brain tumors associated with Metro North workers.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
The effects caused by fumes should be small, since most of the trains are electrified.

Regarding electro-magnetic fields, perhaps you should ask the question in the Science & Technology forum.

My un-expert thoughts are that if there is an issue it would take prolonged exposure at close proximity. However, the conductors ride the trains for hours every day, and there's been no reported cancer cluster of brain tumors associated with Metro North workers.

Thanks this is helpful. I am a little on the paranoid side but I want to ask all questions before I make the decision.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:24 AM

83,508 posts, read 75,260,686 times
There's probably more magnetic field coming from the smart electric meter on your home, satellite tvs, & your smart phone than the train tracks. And yes, those cause headaches for some. They havent been around long enough to know long term affects.

As far as fumes? Good question actually but I assume there were more fumes with coal running trains then electric.

I personally would be more worried about derailment and noise vs health hazard from trains.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:11 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,414 times
Default agree 100 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzazah View Post
Thanks this is helpful. I am a little on the paranoid side but I want to ask all questions before I make the decision.
great choice, great schools & town

Old 05-28-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
There's probably more magnetic field coming from the smart electric meter on your home, satellite tvs, & your smart phone than the train tracks. And yes, those cause headaches for some. They havent been around long enough to know long term affects.

As far as fumes? Good question actually but I assume there were more fumes with coal running trains then electric.

I personally would be more worried about derailment and noise vs health hazard from trains.
Ok good to know. Yes I did confirm the noise level is ok with me. In regards to derailment. That is usually pretty rare so close to a station. Those things usally happen when trains are at full speed.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:41 AM

723 posts, read 1,004,414 times
Default Just remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzazah View Post
Ok good to know. Yes I did confirm the noise level is ok with me. In regards to derailment. That is usually pretty rare so close to a station. Those things usally happen when trains are at full speed.
that a buyer will have the same concerns that you are having so while you watch the value go up on zillow or wherever, just keep that in mind. Also, just a word of advice if your home is a smaller home on a smaller lot you can actually make a higher % return than on bigger lots. This is because your home won't be a candidate for a tear down. If you do any remodeling make sure you ask around go by word of mouth with results you can see. There are many fly-by-night builders that are swarming around that area now, flipping houses and trying to do cheapo renovations. Brand is everything there, so go with quality in any upgrades. If you haven't been yet go over to Ring's End, go on a weekday if you can when it is quieter. It is a the most high-end hardware store of all time. Just a nice Janzer mailbox from them with a new number & lettering can really spruce up your property. Buy your flowers & shrubs at Home Depot as the nurseries in town are way over-priced. You will see that unfortunately there is the regular price for goods and services, if you live in Norwalk or Stamford and then there is the Darien price which is usually about +40% higher for a driveway paving or whatever. There are cheaper options you just have to ask around don't be shy.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
that a buyer will have the same concerns that you are having so while you watch the value go up on zillow or wherever, just keep that in mind. Also, just a word of advice if your home is a smaller home on a smaller lot you can actually make a higher % return than on bigger lots. This is because your home won't be a candidate for a tear down. If you do any remodeling make sure you ask around go by word of mouth with results you can see. There are many fly-by-night builders that are swarming around that area now, flipping houses and trying to do cheapo renovations. Brand is everything there, so go with quality in any upgrades. If you haven't been yet go over to Ring's End, go on a weekday if you can when it is quieter. It is a the most high-end hardware store of all time. Just a nice Janzer mailbox from them with a new number & lettering can really spruce up your property. Buy your flowers & shrubs at Home Depot as the nurseries in town are way over-priced. You will see that unfortunately there is the regular price for goods and services, if you live in Norwalk or Stamford and then there is the Darien price which is usually about +40% higher for a driveway paving or whatever. There are cheaper options you just have to ask around don't be shy.
Wow thank you for all the great advice. Only thing I have been surprised with so far is that the Darien doesn't have city garbage collection in some of these areas on West Ave. Specially when they are so central.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:00 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,659 times
Sounds like you got great advice. A question - you mention woods between home and tracks - who owns the wooded area? East of New Haven there were plans to put in more tracks and woods would have been removed to do that. I think that plan died out, though. Might be a good idea to find out who owns the wooded area, though.

You sound so sensible - coming from New York you can deal with train noise. Good luck - I think things will work out well for you and your family. I was looking for a place just about this time last year and found a perfect one - hope you do, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut