Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 01:28 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I been getting hard downpours like every 15 minutes. Its so annoying. I hate rain. Drizzle and mist is the worst.

Imagine if this was all snow? Oh wait... it will be, Saturday.

I believe this is the front coming theough which will drive that fresh cold air into the region.

Southerly flow today, Northwest flow Saturday
Any idea what time Saturday. Got plans for the afternoon so hopefully it comes at night when we should be home safe and snug. Jay

Old 04-07-2016, 01:49 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
How?

Top Snowiest Aprils. It's snowed in April. Some folks fail to understand we get snow in November and April.

If NYC gets over 3.3 inches it would be in Top 10 though.

And just think......... for NYC to accumulate even 2 inches, that means either...

1. Its snowing pretty darn heavy like whiteout conditions.
2. The suburbs would be getting a nice little snow event with more inches

OK I looked up just how "historic" it would be for NYC to clear this matter.....well it probably won't be the snowiest April 9 as 6.4" fell on the date back in 1917. There also was 1.2" on that same date in 2000.

However.....it would be just about as late as it comes as there are NO NYC snowfalls over 3" past that date on the calendar and all but 1 of the 1-3" snowfalls past that date are before 1920 (and that one exception occurred back in 1950).

For absolute measurable snowfalls, there's 0.8" on April 19, 1983......

BDR did get a big snowfall on that date in 1996....3.2" followed by 4.7" the next day on the 10th.....but after that date (since they don't have early 1900s/late 1800s records), the only snowfall over an inch occurred on April 14, 1950 (they got 0.5" on April 19, 1983 if one is curious)......I'm not sure how much snow fell April 9-10, 1996 in NYC, JFK airport shows record amounts somewhat similar to BDR (3.1" on the 9th and 0.9" on the 10th), but LGA shows 2000 being the record snowfall for the date at 1.3"'....Central Park shows 0.7" for the entire month of April, 1996 so I don't know if that fell on April 10 or not.

So again, I agree not the rarity of an October snowstorm, but still pretty darn rare if it happens.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:57 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

So again, I agree not the rarity of an October snowstorm, but still pretty darn rare if it happens.
I agree!

I'd equate this to snowing in early November. Very rare.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:17 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Any idea what time Saturday. Got plans for the afternoon so hopefully it comes at night when we should be home safe and snug. Jay
After sunrise and then snowing all day. Light mostly but heavy at times. No idea when those "heavy times" will be right now.

I'll venture to say roads will be fine, but we all saw and heard what happened with the April 4th 2-4" snow event. Some backroads were bad.

This is why we need more CT members posting here. It helps us when we see posts regarding current conditions in your area.

Quote:
OK I looked up just how "historic" it would be for NYC to clear this matter.....well it probably won't be the snowiest April 9 as 6.4" fell on the date back in 1917. There also was 1.2" on that same date in 2000.

Nice stats. I agree on 3" or more being rare but Just looked up Bridgeport snowfalls over 1" of snow after April 8th... It's happened 7 times. Rare, NO.

Uncommon Yes.

Perhaps the definition is being misinterpreted? It snows in April. It's not a shocking thing.

Here's a better perspective... April 4th few days ago Hartford got 4 inches of snow and it was snowing for 15 hours. April 4th few days ago Bridgeport recorded 0.5" of snow. Yet it was snowing for couple hours. Get it? Re-read that.

It snows, but when looking at NYC and CT Airports, the accumulations wont give you a good judgement of it.

It can snow in April. Period.

As far as accumulations over 2", will be interesting to see if that rarity happens.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:31 PM

April 9, 2016 Snow Event.

Bernie Video . Good video for all but mostly for weather geeks I guess.

I didn't realize an upper Low was coming over the area. My favorite feature! The lift associated with it can be impressive "in spots". Where will those spots be?? I will post the latest Vertical lift projections later.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:41 PM

NAM18z Vertical Velocity. Different on GFS and Euro.. It's a "detail" so take it with a grain of salt being that it will and can change even day of.

Basically the Reds and Pinks are where the snow is thumping away..HEAVY snow, the areas where it will accumulate much easier in April. Light snow is going to be tough IMO!

So the VV is basically the "lift" in the atmosphere, the vertical wind speed. Rising air leads to precip. The stronger it is, the heavier the precip will be. Downward air leads to nothing.

So latest NAM projects Saturday 8am that the heaviest snows will be around Philly and Atlantic City.

Then that shifts north as morning goes on and at 2pm here is where it says the heavy snows will be. BTW .. it has NO SNOW in CT. Ignore the yellows there because there's no precip.

That's why you have to look at so many parameters to make a forecast. It's a tough job! And what model do you believe?

Old 04-07-2016, 05:23 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
After sunrise and then snowing all day. Light mostly but heavy at times. No idea when those "heavy times" will be right now.

I'll venture to say roads will be fine, but we all saw and heard what happened with the April 4th 2-4" snow event. Some backroads were bad.

This is why we need more CT members posting here. It helps us when we see posts regarding current conditions in your area.

Nice stats. I agree on 3" or more being rare but Just looked up Bridgeport snowfalls over 1" of snow after April 8th... It's happened 7 times. Rare, NO.

Uncommon Yes.

Perhaps the definition is being misinterpreted? It snows in April. It's not a shocking thing.

Here's a better perspective... April 4th few days ago Hartford got 4 inches of snow and it was snowing for 15 hours. April 4th few days ago Bridgeport recorded 0.5" of snow. Yet it was snowing for couple hours. Get it? Re-read that.

It snows, but when looking at NYC and CT Airports, the accumulations wont give you a good judgement of it.

It can snow in April. Period.

As far as accumulations over 2", will be interesting to see if that rarity happens.
If you're willing to count a trace as "snows in April" and not just measurable, then yes, it snows in April in NYC and BDR more years than not, the stats definitely show that. Obviously it snows a little more and more often in BDL in April. I was thinking more that it's April 9th and they are predicting 2+" of accumulation. It was not as rare as I thought, although as I said I think the 9th/10th of April is about as late as it gets.

NWS now saying mix with rain and just 1" of snow

Old 04-07-2016, 05:25 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
If you're willing to count a trace as "snows in April" and not just measurable, then yes, it snows in April in NYC and BDR more years than not, the stats definitely show that. Obviously it snows a little more and more often in BDL in April. I was thinking more that it's April 9th and they are predicting 2+" of accumulation. It was not as rare as I thought, although as I said I think the 9th/10th of April is about as late as it gets.

WHY are you backing down. A measurable snowfall in NYC after 4/10 is VERY rare.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
If you're willing to count a trace as "snows in April" and not just measurable, then yes, it snows in April in NYC and BDR more years than not, the stats definitely show that.

Kinda matches the latest models I saw where they say nothing much for CT area. Maybe I jinxed it by looking??

Yeah, just trying to remind others that just because measurable snow doesn't show up on the stats it doesn't mean it didn't snow. We all seen how much snow it takes for airports and Urban areas to accumulate. And the "heavy bands" are never widespread. Always localized so the airport would have to get lucky to be under it.

November and April snow is no rarity while some try to make you believe that... Over 2" south of Hartford in April is.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:41 PM

Precip totals from my backyard...

March 28: 0.80"
April 1: 0.22"
April 2: 0.37"
April 3: 0.41"
April 4: 0.57"
April 7: 0.25"

It can stop raining now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut