Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 02:36 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol. Yup.. I almost bought one.. nothing was in stock so it was a good thing. I hate wasteful spending. $1000 would of been sitting there doing nothing for years.

Seaking of which... Wow, what a period we went through those years huh? When was the last time we had a historic storm outside winter?
We will never see a Irene /Sandy combo again here that quick. As for October snows? Fluke.

Not to say another big storm cant hit here.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:56 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Bite your tongue, gents! ;-)

Old 07-05-2015, 07:04 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
We will never see a Irene /Sandy combo again here that quick. As for October snows? Fluke.

It wasn't so much the weather as the inadequate preparation and response by CL&P.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:05 AM

453 posts, read 531,117 times
Quote:

As bad as Irene and Sandy were, we are still prone to bigger storms. Irene was a decaying tropical storm and Sandy was a glancing blow. If we were to get hit by a 1938 Long Island Express style hurricane, the effects would be enormous.

Frankenstorm was a fluke. I don't think we will see 1-2 feet of snow on fully leafed trees again in our lifetimes.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:25 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
If we were to get hit by a 1938 Long Island Express style hurricane, the effects would be enormous.
Would be another one for the books for sure. But then we wonder why damage and storms "seem" bigger now a days.. more structures, more population, social media, technology and reporting every event is partly to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
Frankenstorm was a fluke. I don't think we will see 1-2 feet of snow on fully leafed trees again in our lifetimes.
I learned never say can't or never with weather. (say that 10 times fast. lol) Here's the thing... it's happened again after that... just not in our area. So these Early Fall leaf snowstorms are happening, for 1 area to get hit all the time is rare..

South Dakota got their share last year when an Early September snowstorm hit with leaves on the trees. Widespread damage and power outages happened.

October 4, 2013 Casper, WY got crushed with snow and leaves on trees.

End of September 2013, Riverton Wyoming Earliest snowstorm on record

That's just U.S.. Canada had their share of record early snowstorms recently too.

Calgary End of September 2014, took weeks to clean up.

It can happen anywhere, anytime... If we are back in an 1800 weather pattern, we don't have records to show how common Fall snowstorms are in multiple areas.

Last edited by Cambium; 07-06-2015 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Added Calgary link

Old 07-06-2015, 10:44 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Would be another one for the books for sure. But then we wonder why damage and storms "seem" bigger now a days.. more structures, more population, social media, technology and reporting every event is partly to blame.

I learned never say can't or never with weather. (say that 10 times fast. lol) Here's the thing... it's happened again after that... just not in our area. So these Early Fall leaf snowstorms are happening, for 1 area to get hit all the time is rare..

South Dakota got their share last year when an Early September snowstorm hit with leaves on the trees. Widespread damage and power outages happened.

That's just U.S.. Canada had their share of record early snowstorms recently too.

It can happen anywhere, anytime... If we are back in an 1800 weather pattern, we don't have records to show how common Fall snowstorms are in multiple areas.
But I'm sure they're less common here than all those places you mentioned.......at the same time I'll agree that if it happened once you can never say 'never'

Old 07-06-2015, 01:00 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:

But all those places are prone to early snows...... is that a fair comparison?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
But I'm sure they're less common here than all those places you mentioned.......at the same time I'll agree that if it happened once you can never say 'never'
September?? No. First snows are usually end of October in Riverton and that's for an inch.. The Early snowstorms I listed never happened before that early or that much, therefore unusual/not common. Read the threads and posts. Pretty interesting. Higher elevations I'm sure it's more common, but not at lower elevations and the amounts that fell. Power was out for weeks from tree damage.. doubt that's a common thing.

Quote:
But all those places are prone to early snows...... is that a fair comparison?
Sure it's fair... Ours came October 29th. We've had snowstorms in November-December so it's only few weeks away like theirs. They aren't prone to snowstorms "that" early.

A stat I would love to find out is... how common is it to snow with leaves on the trees anywhere in North America... I assume usually it gets cold first so leaves are change or drop otherwise we would be seeing more devastation stories with snowstorms. Overall we dont usually get big snowstorms at low elevations in Sept/Early October.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:29 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Wow!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/07/us...smtyp=cur&_r=0

Old 07-07-2015, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Yup, posted that in the Summer thread in the Weather Forum. You guys should be more active there.. everyone from all over the world posts and is interesting to see. Now heading to Mid July and Boston still has a snow pile. Glaciers are forming in Boston! lol Speaking of which..... Glaciers on Mount St Helens is Growing as well as 90% of the Globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut