Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2021, 01:10 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times

Advertisements

An agreement has been reached to save the beautiful and historic G. Fox footbridge over Talcott Street. The bridge connected the iconic G. Fox Department Store, now Capital Community College to the store’s former warehouse which was converted to a parking garage. The owners of the parking garage, Shelbourne Global Solutions and LAZ Properties, are planning to demolish the garage to make way for a new development. Rumors have it that the site will become home to the Connecticut Historical Society. Under the agreement the footbridge will be dismantled and stored for use in a future development on the property. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...t6i-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 12:02 PM

So the consultant that is planning for the redevelopment of the vacant lots in and around the State Office Building and the Bushnell has indicated that as many as 1,200 new housing units could be built there making it one of the city’s largest developments ever. The area, being called Bushnell South would also include retail and commercial space, transforming the barren wasteland into a truly vibrant neighborhood. It will however take years to develop it. Still it sounds great. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...t2u-story.html

Old 06-20-2021, 03:39 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Rumors have it that the site will become home to the Connecticut Historical Society. Under the agreement the footbridge will be dismantled and stored for use in a future development on the property. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...t6i-story.html

Glad about the bridge but yikes on CHS!! I find them to be more accessible where they are now.

Now if they were to move the State Library away from where it is, I'm all for that!

Old 06-22-2021, 10:01 AM

506 posts, read 478,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Glad about the bridge but yikes on CHS!! I find them to be more accessible where they are now.

Now if they were to move the State Library away from where it is, I'm all for that!
I'd like to see them keep their research facilities in the West End but move the museum downtown. I'd imagine they'd have more exhibit space there. Also, Hartford needs a good, large history museum downtown. The basement of the Old State House and the tiny museum at the State Library don't hold a candle to some of the state history museums in other state capitals. I think that would be a much needed attraction for Hartford, and it would be walking distance to many other attractions like the Wadsworth. I hope the rumors are true.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:39 AM

332 posts, read 218,218 times
Do you think any of the money from the Federal Infrastructure Plan would find it's way to go towards improvements to the XL Center in Hartford?

Old 06-24-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
Do you think any of the money from the Federal Infrastructure Plan would find it's way to go towards improvements to the XL Center in Hartford?
It’s possible but I don’t think Lamont has said that. Hopefully he will if it qualifies. Jay

Old 06-27-2021, 12:51 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Bushnell South' Vision Could Transform Part of Hartford

Similar to New Haven Hill to Downtown project

t’s a project that pulls together the City of Hartford, the Capitol Region Development Authority, The Bushnell and others.

Their idea is a half-billion dollar development that would include residential, retail and public spaces.

“The Bushnell has existed for years in the middle of a sea of parking lots. It really needs to be in a vibrant and residential and business community,” said Bob Patricelli, The Bushnell board member.

“It links different centers in the city. It links downtown to the neighborhoods. It links the Capitol to Main Street. It weaves together residential areas around the park. Expands the park,” said Mike Freimuth, Capitol Region Development Authority executive director.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...tford/2514341/

Old 06-30-2021, 02:05 PM

37,163 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
I think they should redevelop. The airport does play a role in transportation/infrastructure in the region, but Brainard has been limited to what size and number of planes it can have since the 1930s because of a shorter runway and being next to the river (environmental). Looking at Wikipedia it looks like Brainard had a total of 53 passenger boardings in 2016, compared to 27,911 at Tweed and 2,982,194 at Bradley. Brainard is considered one of the state's three reliever airports, with the others being Danbury and Plainville. In theory, Plainville might be able to take up some of Brainard's traffic (though neighbors might fight it) and Bradley can take the rest.

Because Hartford has such little land to redevelop, this would be perfect. And, there would be no locals to fight against "gentrification" or displacement because nobody lives near the airport. It's almost all industrial and commercial. There are no NIMBYs around there, which is a rarity in the region. Actually, I think a lot of people would be in favor of it.

If they could build some kind of transit connection to downtown (bus or train) from there, I could see the Brainard area turning into one of the state's premier transit-oriented developments. Maybe they can do a trolley that also connects Coltsville. It has riverfront views and is isolated from the rest of the city by highways (which some residents might find appealing). I think Hartford could really use something like that.

The entirety of downtown Hartford could fit comfortably within the current boundaries of the airport, not even counting the neighboring industrial plots. We're talking about a huge area with tremendous potential. I'm picturing something like Harbor Point in Stamford.

Environmental cleanup would be costly and they'd have to do something about the sewer plant, but I'd be excited to see them try.

53? If that's not a typo missing a digit or three that would seem like a ridiculous use even in less land-constrained cities. Is there something about that airport and its services where it contributes much more than a development alternative would?

Old 07-01-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
53? If that's not a typo missing a digit or three that would seem like a ridiculous use even in less land-constrained cities. Is there something about that airport and its services where it contributes much more than a development alternative would?
You have to understand something, Brainard is not a commercial passenger airline airport like Bradley. It mostly serves small private aircrafts which is why the number of passengers served is so low. Hundreds of aircrafts use it and it would be difficult for them to find an alternative airport to use. There just aren’t a lot of small airports around for them. Jay

Old 07-02-2021, 01:41 PM

37,163 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You have to understand something, Brainard is not a commercial passenger airline airport like Bradley. It mostly serves small private aircrafts which is why the number of passengers served is so low. Hundreds of aircrafts use it and it would be difficult for them to find an alternative airport to use. There just aren’t a lot of small airports around for them. Jay

I understand it's a small general aviation airport not meant for regular passenger routes, but even as that 53 passenger boardings is extremely low though I guess the land isn't that valuable as long as I-91 cuts it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut