Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2023, 01:18 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I drove by this morning. No change in the area originally mentioned (Greenwich/Stamford).

Like I said above, it’s not just long grass. It’s weeds, ferns, and all sorts of growth. It hasn’t been touched for a long time. That, and the wooden posts are in need of serious repair.
Let there not be a shred of doubt that the northbound lane in Greenwich and Stamford has been cut along the side up to tree lines. The tracks and cut lines were still fresh when I noticed during the pm commute home Tuesday. They probably did it Tue midday. There is absolutely a one hundred percent real and palpable fact. It did happen.
As I mentioned the southbound and center median had not been cut yet. The horizontal railroad tie like wood center median railings need power washing, no question. I'm not aware of wooden posts anywhere but I'm sure they need repairing, it's CT transportation infrastructure after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2023, 12:14 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Let there not be a shred of doubt that the northbound lane in Greenwich and Stamford has been cut along the side up to tree lines. The tracks and cut lines were still fresh when I noticed during the pm commute home Tuesday. They probably did it Tue midday. There is absolutely a one hundred percent real and palpable fact. It did happen.
As I mentioned the southbound and center median had not been cut yet. The horizontal railroad tie like wood center median railings need power washing, no question. I'm not aware of wooden posts anywhere but I'm sure they need repairing, it's CT transportation infrastructure after all.
The median is the issue.

Old 09-16-2023, 05:22 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
You mean they didn't build the Merritt so people can get from point A to point B?
A Sunday drive in the park? in 2023 SW CT? do you put the top down on the 57 Chevy? Have you driven on a CT highway on a summer Sunday afternoon lately? good luck.

Yes, they designed the Merritt to be a joy ride, a hundred years ago. I-95 was supposed to be the main trough through SW CT.

The Merritt is the jeep. I-95 is the dump-truck. It doesn't matter what improvements someone makes into the Jeep, it will never be a dump-truck.

Due to its protected status, local interests -- no one has been able to change its chassis, spine etc. You can cut the grass, and power wash the rails, but that's about it.

SW CT transportation is tough nut to crack. There are no silver bullets, no solution is perfect, and each is crazy expensive. Maybe one day the technology will be there to make underground highways economically feasible. I for one, never ever want to see the I-95 traffic flying overhead. Horrific

Old 09-16-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
The Merritt is the jeep. I-95 is the dump-truck. It doesn't matter what improvements someone makes into the Jeep, it will never be a dump-truck.
Why not? dump trucks started out as Jeeps.
They used to say the horse drawn carraige was the wave of the future.

Hey CT! Lamont!
Update the damn highways already

Old 09-16-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The median is the issue.
Yes the median has not been touched yet, that is correct. Remember, CT infrastructure maintenance moves at a snails pace. Baby steps. You take what you can get

Old 09-16-2023, 06:30 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Yes the median has not been touched yet, that is correct. Remember, CT infrastructure maintenance moves at a snails pace. Baby steps. You take what you can get
You are talking about 70 miles of parkway to maintain. Add in I-95, Route 7, Route 8, and Route 25, you are talking about a lot of highways to maintain in lower Fairfield County.

As it is, the state has insufficient money to fund transportation, let alone keep lawn areas manicured to your liking. It is expensive. Until we provide CTDOT with a sustainable revenue source I think we can live with uncut grass along highways for a month or so. Jay

Old 09-16-2023, 06:57 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are talking about 70 miles of parkway to maintain. Add in I-95, Route 7, Route 8, and Route 25, you are talking about a lot of highways to maintain in lower Fairfield County.

As it is, the state has insufficient money to fund transportation, let alone keep lawn areas manicured to your liking. It is expensive. Until we provide CTDOT with a sustainable revenue source I think we can live with uncut grass along highways for a month or so. Jay
Not bad points, but if the state doesn’t have the funds for foliage maintenance, then they shouldn’t have replanted trees, shrubs, etc upon completion of the construction. Shrug.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:

What about the Rainy Day fund? Where’s the lockbox? Who’s got the key?
I think it’s Lamonts war on fossil fuels. He scoring points for a DC appointment in 28.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:14 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
What about the Rainy Day fund? Where’s the lockbox? Who’s got the key?
I think it’s Lamonts war on fossil fuels. He scoring points for a DC appointment in 28.
The Rainy Day Fund? You don’t seem to understand what its purpose is for. The Rainy Day Fund is not for funding state operations. It’s to be used if tax revenues fall below projections. And by law any surpluses must go into advanced payments of our pension obligations. That’s good fiscal policy. Tapping it to fund additional maintenance is not. You do that and what’s to stop them from tapping it for other things? Nothing. Jay

Old 09-16-2023, 09:17 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
The Rainy Day Fund? You don’t seem to understand what its purpose is for. The Rainy Day Fund is not for funding state operations. It’s to be used if tax revenues fall below projections. And by law any surpluses must go into advanced payments of our pension obligations. That’s good fiscal policy. Tapping it to fund additional maintenance is not. You do that and what’s to stop them from tapping it for other things? Nothing. Jay
It should have to be used somewhat for operations and investment when it gets exceedingly high. Not just for the state employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut