Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2023, 05:44 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
and more mass transit options is the realistic way to reduce traffic.
And more lanes on the highways because Tony Suburbs and Joe Schmo high income cube farmer isn’t getting in a big metal box with a bunch of McJobbers and healthcare office staffers. No way are they giving up their S-Plaids and Defenders and Broncos with Apple CarPlay. Never happenin’.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 06:24 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
And more lanes on the highways because Tony Suburbs and Joe Schmo high income cube farmer isn’t getting in a big metal box with a bunch of McJobbers and healthcare office staffers. No way are they giving up their S-Plaids and Defenders and Broncos with Apple CarPlay. Never happenin’.

Lanes where? In a tiny state where every speck next to highways was sold.

Old 08-03-2023, 05:38 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Currently, motorists driving south on the Merritt cannot exit directly to southbound or northbound Route 7. Also, motorists driving north or south on Route 7 cannot exit to the northbound Merritt.

“This project will allow motorists to move directly between Routes 7 and 15 in new ways, avoiding unnecessary travel on local roads,

https://www.thehour.com/news/article...t-18271885.php

I always wondered why if you're on Route 7 you can't get on Merritt North. Odd. This proposal will of course congest Route 7 more. They better expand it another lane on both sides

Old 08-03-2023, 05:50 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Currently, motorists driving south on the Merritt cannot exit directly to southbound or northbound Route 7. Also, motorists driving north or south on Route 7 cannot exit to the northbound Merritt.

“This project will allow motorists to move directly between Routes 7 and 15 in new ways, avoiding unnecessary travel on local roads,

I always wondered why if you're on Route 7 you can't get on Merritt North. Odd. This proposal will of course congest Route 7 more. They better expand it another lane on both sides
The interchange was never completed strictly due to (BS) environmental reasons. The Merritt Parkway Conservatory blocked prior plans due to the ecosystem / turtles that would be cut off. You can’t make this *** up. Im sure it’s a vibrant habitat 10 feet from a highway. Clowns.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Don't blame the turtles. They move faster than CT DOT.
This is just an idea right? then it goes to the design phase, then the Study phase before it even gets to the Rhodes Scholars in Hartford. Then once the tree huggers get involved you're back to square one.
They build higways and bridges in Singapore and Florida seemingly overnight. You wake up in the Emirates and theres a brand new 6 lane higheway down the street come out of nowhere. They built the new Tappan Zee in what seemed like 3 days. In CT it takes decades to figure out how to lay asphalt on dirt. It's not that complicated people.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:16 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Don't blame the turtles. They move faster than CT DOT.
This is just an idea right? then it goes to the design phase, then the Study phase before it even gets to the Rhodes Scholars in Hartford. Then once the tree huggers get involved you're back to square one.
They build higways and bridges in Singapore and Florida seemingly overnight. You wake up in the Emirates and theres a brand new 6 lane higheway down the street come out of nowhere. They built the new Tappan Zee in what seemed like 3 days. In CT it takes decades to figure out how to lay asphalt on dirt. It's not that complicated people.
Steve - Stop taking potshots at CTDOT when you obviously don’t know this projects history.

About 30 years ago CTDOT had a project to build a massive multi level interchange there. It was designed, funded and ready to go to construction (there was even a beautiful model of the interchange that sat in the lobby of Newington headquarters for years) when very vocal and well organized opposition stopped it dead in its tracks.

Since then CTDOT has redesigned the interchange to make it less intrusive but both SWRPA (the planning agency predecessor to WestCOG) and the Merritt Parkway Conservancy haven’t bought into it. They want an at grade interchange with traffic signals instead of ramps with bridges directly connecting the movements. Why, is beyond me. That appears to be what this proposal is.

A few years back I had volunteered to join the Merritt Parkway Conservancy and met with their director. They were very enthusiastic to have me join them because of my transportation background. I was asked my opinion of the at grade intersections. When I told them I was very skeptical that they would operate acceptably and thought they would create dangerous intersections where they aren’t expected. Needless to say I never heard back from them and my inquiry call went unanswered.

I still stand by my opinion and will be writing into the state voicing my opposition to this proposal. It’s a massive accident waiting to happen and bad planning at its worst. Jay

Old 08-03-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Steve - Stop taking potshots at CTDOT when you obviously don’t know this projects history.

About 30 years ago CTDOT had a project to build a massive multi level interchange there. It was designed, funded and ready to go to construction (there was even a beautiful model of the interchange that sat in the lobby of Newington headquarters for years) when very vocal and well organized opposition stopped it dead in its tracks.

Since then CTDOT has redesigned the interchange to make it less intrusive but both SWRPA (the planning agency predecessor to WestCOG) and the Merritt Parkway Conservancy haven’t bought into it. They want an at grade interchange with traffic signals instead of ramps with bridges directly connecting the movements. Why, is beyond me. That appears to be what this proposal is.

A few years back I had volunteered to join the Merritt Parkway Conservancy and met with their director. They were very enthusiastic to have me join them because of my transportation background. I was asked my opinion of the at grade intersections. When I told them I was very skeptical that they would operate acceptably and thought they would create dangerous intersections where they aren’t expected. Needless to say I never heard back from them and my inquiry call went unanswered.

I still stand by my opinion and will be writing into the state voicing my opposition to this proposal. It’s a massive accident waiting to happen and bad planning at its worst. Jay
You just proved my point. The wrong people are in charge. They need to cut the head off at the top and hire people like you who know what the hell they're doing.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:56 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wasn't the whole 8 point redesign supposed to coincide with the Super 7 project? I vaguely remember those projects being connected hand in hand.

There are some still fighting the anti-super 7 fight and I'd suspect that the lack of buy-in on that much needed redesign has a bunch to do with that.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
You just proved my point. The wrong people are in charge. They need to cut the head off at the top and hire people like you who know what the hell they're doing.
I doubt it would have been any different. The things that happened were beyond the control of anyone at CTDOT. The only one who could have changed things was maybe Governor Ella Grasso but she was cheap and very shortsighted. She delayed many highway projects in the 70’s which gave opposition time to organize. That’s why it got so hard to build new highways in our state. Jay

Old 08-03-2023, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Wasn't the whole 8 point redesign supposed to coincide with the Super 7 project? I vaguely remember those projects being connected hand in hand.

There are some still fighting the anti-super 7 fight and I'd suspect that the lack of buy-in on that much needed redesign has a bunch to do with that.
Super 7 is dead. CTDOT have conceded to opposition and the right of way for the highway is being developed as the Norwalk River Trail. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut