Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2023, 06:00 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Jim contends that the cuts on Shoreline East will kill ridership because it will severely limit passenger options. I can’t say he’s wrong.

Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2023/05/21/how-...-a-train-line/
Reducing service would be the dumbest thing we could do. Cameron is spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 10:22 PM

34,947 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Reducing service would be the dumbest thing we could do. Cameron is spot on.
I agree. Jay

Old 05-28-2023, 10:23 AM

It’s been a long, long road to fixing the anomaly that is Route 9 in Middletown. The Route 9 northbound on-ramp from Route 17 has long history of accidents. It’s among the very top in the state. Finally the state is fixing this. They are also working to eliminate the traffic signals on Route 9. Hopefully they can find a good solution everyone can live with. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2023/05/28/ct-r...way-car-crash/

Old 05-31-2023, 05:24 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
The state want to cut some trains for budget cuts and ridership numbers

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Cuts could be coming to the Metro-North Railroad.

The current state budget proposal has changes to both the New Haven Line to New York and Shore Line East to New London.

Leaders point to numbers as the reason.

“The governor feels like ridership is down,” House Speaker Matt Ritter (D-District 1) said.

Gov. Ned Lamont’s budget proposes more than $40 million in cuts. Metro-North Railroad’s busiest service would drop from 309 daily trains to 260, while Shore Line East would operate at 44% of its pre-COVID service level. What trains those cuts will impact have not been announced, although it will be a combination of both peak and off-peak times.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticu...oad-lines/amp/

Old 05-31-2023, 08:20 AM

6,923 posts, read 3,754,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
The state want to cut some trains for budget cuts and ridership numbers

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Cuts could be coming to the Metro-North Railroad.

The current state budget proposal has changes to both the New Haven Line to New York and Shore Line East to New London.

Leaders point to numbers as the reason.

“The governor feels like ridership is down,” House Speaker Matt Ritter (D-District 1) said.

Gov. Ned Lamont’s budget proposes more than $40 million in cuts. Metro-North Railroad’s busiest service would drop from 309 daily trains to 260, while Shore Line East would operate at 44% of its pre-COVID service level. What trains those cuts will impact have not been announced, although it will be a combination of both peak and off-peak times.

Ridership is down? are they kidding? during the week?
Maybe because now 95 and The Merritt lately are officially the worst I have ever seen, even worse than before the grandstanding charade lockdowns. Usually once schools let out in June it lets up some.

In more recent weekend Manhattan and Bronx trips, the trains have been packed beyond belief.

Old 05-31-2023, 03:30 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,187,828 times

"We will see how it goes over the summer and fall, but the governor is taking DOT’s advice and their numbers,” Ritter said. “People just work home a lot more, and that’s decreasing both traffic on roads and also who is on trains.”

I know I get flack for being nerdingly wonky about NHL and i95 usage but this is just pure fantasy. There's this need for "smart people" to talk about how WFH is fundamentally changing commute patterns in the region when the numbers simply don't add up on it, as is the ever enduring idea that more CT residents commute into Manhattan than they actually do. Once we break these two ideas the cause and solution is almost blaringly obvious:

Causes:
1) NHL in CT is mostly an intra-state people mover, not a funnel to NYC during "peak" commuting times.
2) The priortization of peak transit in the wake of the height of the pandemic service cuts instead of interday service resuming has pushed more cars onto i95 than otherwise would be.

Solution:
Restore, expand, and promote the inter-day services.

Really that simple... although I'm starting to guess this is Lamont playing chicken with the MTA.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:29 PM

As I’ve been saying for quite awhile now, the time is coming to make a serious decision on how to fund transportation. Revenue from the gas tax is falling so a new source MUST be found. This week Jim Cameron talks about the problem and recommends a Vehicle Miles Tax. Three states, Oregon, Virginia and Utah, already have it. Hawaii will soon have it too. Could Connecticut be next? Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2023/06/25/ct-v...olls-highways/

Old 06-26-2023, 05:53 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Ct will kill rail transit if it makes the cuts being discussed.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:42 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
They are looking to reduce service on Monday and Friday because ridership on those days never returned to normal because of hybrid work.

Here's the problem.

If they don't keep the rush hour trips intact, or worse, cut service to the point where it's equivalent to weekend service with no express trains... even less people will use the train on Monday and Friday. And that's how you start what Cameron regards as the death spiral.

I'm already thinking of working around this new schedule and only going into the city for meetings Tues-Thurs. I was an easy "get" on Mondays and Fridays for meetings.

This could also result in crowding Tues-Thurs.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 4,096 times
I am not an expert, but some thoughts on how to increase ridership:

1. Implement a fare cap to encourage part time riders from not worrying about overpaying.
2. Offer innovative pricing to encourage riders to ride on Mondays and Fridays. Maybe they need to start labeling those days as off-peak.
3. Ensure a parking spot.
4. Ensure a seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut