Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,627,693 times

Advertisements

Just noticed that you're commuting to exit 9, not Danbury - it's only about 10-15 minutes from the part of Southbury I recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 07:28 PM

22 posts, read 20,271 times
The property taxes in Newtown are a huge turn off. I did a search on tax rates and it seems Trumbull and Monroe are in the same boat when it comes to taxes. I'd prefer to commute 10 minutes more to save 5k per year. Shelton's tax rate makes the town very attractive, but I'm wondering if it comes at a non monetary price (school quality).

Old 09-17-2014, 07:42 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,234,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHuntsman View Post
The property taxes in Newtown are a huge turn off. I did a search on tax rates and it seems Trumbull and Monroe are in the same boat when it comes to taxes. I'd prefer to commute 10 minutes more to save 5k per year. Shelton's tax rate makes the town very attractive, but I'm wondering if it comes at a non monetary price (school quality).
Can you get from Trunbull to exit 9 in 10 minutes though? Honestly I'm not being facetious at all -- I just am wondering what the commute would be like from Trumbull Taxes are higher in Newtown and it's definitely subjective whether it's worth it or not -- and A good part of me says no, it's probably not even though it really is a lovely town. in which case I would then next look at Brookfield, Bethel, and Southbury. All wonderful towns, with lower mill (read tax) rates than Newtown. Or perhaps Trumbull, if it's actually closer than I think it is...

Old 09-17-2014, 07:44 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,090,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Can you get from Trunbull to exit 9 in 10 minutes though? Honestly I'm not being facetious at all -- I just am wondering what the commute would be like from Trumbull Taxes are higher in Newtown and it's definitely subjective whether it's worth it or not -- and A good part of me says no, it's probably not even though it really is a lovely town. in which case I would then next look at Brookfield, Bethel, and Southbury. All wonderful towns, with lower mill (read tax) rates than Newtown. Or perhaps Trumbull, if it's actually closer than I think it is...
From the center of Trumbull to exit 9 on Rt 25 is like 20-30 minutes...

Old 09-17-2014, 07:46 PM

That's kind of what I thought, but I'm honestly not really familiar with Trumbull so I hesitated in assuming or commenting definitively. . Thanks SeaDoo!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:58 PM

678 posts, read 848,185 times
Out of all the towns you listed, Oxford or Shelton are the weakest. But then again, These two towns are fighting some fierce competition. Like I said earlier, all the schools are solid. This holds true for them both.

From your listing, I'd say Easton is probably the "best", but your budget won't go as far in Easton. Plus, it's kinda sparsely populated. Its population is 1/4th that of Newtown's but the area is only 1/2 to give you a picture. (I'm echoing Kidyankee regarding schools by the way)

Going from your original post, if we optimize your listing and take your budget in consideration, Newtown is the best. If the taxes are a major turn off, I suggest Brookfield or Southbury. I know they're more tame in their taxes. Yeah, Newtown unfortunately has a ridiculously high tax rate in comparison with similar and neighboring towns. I'm not sure why, but, I think the combination of area and population make it so. :/

Old 09-17-2014, 08:06 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Out of all the towns you listed, Oxford or Shelton are the weakest.
Weakest, how? In commuting time? Maybe, but so are Trumbull, Easton and parts of Southbury, which were also mentioned. Or did you mean in schools? Shelton's schools are solid, and Oxford's high school just ranked among the top in the state. Oxford also has a higher HHI than Southbury and Bethel (and Shelton). I wouldn't classify that as "weak".

Old 09-17-2014, 08:11 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,090,962 times
What about New Fairfield? It would be about a 20 min commute in the opposite direction but it's a nice little town. Reminds me of Monroe or Oxforrd...

Old 09-17-2014, 08:26 PM

I actually live in Nf and love it lots. But during rush hour, having to travel through the Danbury state roads (37 or 39, depending on which part of NF your exiting from) and then getting onto and through 84, I think it would be an easy 20 minutes to exit 9. As much as I like it here, I think you can have the same thing a whole lot closer! Lol! I will always recommend NF to someone with a similar budget (or even less) who has a westchester commute, but honestly IMO there's no reason to drive 20 minutes from NF when you can live in Brookfield, Bethel, or Newtown instead. I would put NF in the same category as Oxford for this OP - similar type town, similar commute, meaning not so bad but there are other places equally as nice with an easier commute. That said: I would kill for a commute from NF to exit 9 -- I commute down to Stamford every day! 20 minutes would be a cake walk for me! loL!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:33 PM

22 posts, read 20,271 times
I haven't considered New Fairfield but I will look into it. How is the traffic pattern between New Fairfield and exit 8/9?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut