Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:59 PM

41 posts, read 144,827 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the nicer neighborhoods in Hamden? Specifically, I'm seeing a lot of nice houses near West Rock Park, just north of the Merritt. Can anyone tell me if this is a good area or is it too close to New Haven?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:59 AM

12 posts, read 40,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenton View Post
Can anyone tell me about the nicer neighborhoods in Hamden? Specifically, I'm seeing a lot of nice houses near West Rock Park, just north of the Merritt. Can anyone tell me if this is a good area or is it too close to New Haven?

Thanks!
I grew up in that area and its not a good neighborhood its next to the new haven projects.If you keep going on woodin st. and keep going until you are across the highway the neghborhood there is really nice. And there are still nice houses you might like around the west rock hamden area if you keep going up the streets there. You might want to go check out that neighborhood to see if you like it.Its not really a bad place if you want a small house because those are the houses that are down there and Family houses(apartments)

Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM

34,955 posts, read 57,005,315 times
zdup24 - I think the OP said they were looking north of the parkway and I believe the New Haven "projects" are well south of the parkway. I think if you stay north of the parkway it is okay but others here may know better. Jay

Old 08-14-2008, 03:16 PM

172 posts, read 577,983 times
i lived in hamden the last 8 years (just moved out of hamden last week).
do you have kids? certain areas of hamden have much better elementary schools than others.
west rock park area borders dicey neighborhoods. if you want to private message me street names, i can give a little more pespective. the best areas to live in and spring glen and mount carmel and westwoods.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 PM

5 posts, read 16,376 times
Default whitneyville!

And Whitneyville.....nice, affordable houses with a walkable village center (bank, post office, great market, bookstore, library, yoga studio, pub, playground, etc) and north of Putnam Ave. is still in the Spring Glen School District. Fabulous neighborhood...and 10 minutes to the New Haven Green.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
zdup24 - I think the OP said they were looking north of the parkway and I believe the New Haven "projects" are well south of the parkway. I think if you stay north of the parkway it is okay but others here may know better. Jay
oh i thought you were talking about the west rock hamden area around woodin st on the border. ya over there on the other side of the parkway is good

Old 08-14-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie007 View Post
i lived in hamden the last 8 years (just moved out of hamden last week).
do you have kids? certain areas of hamden have much better elementary schools than others.
west rock park area borders dicey neighborhoods. if you want to private message me street names, i can give a little more pespective. the best areas to live in and spring glen and mount carmel and westwoods.
yup those is the upper side of hamden

Old 10-04-2008, 06:30 AM

5 posts, read 37,757 times
Default Quinnipiac in Hamden

Could you tell me what your opinions are on Quinnipiac University? I haven't visited yet, but I wanted to know what the surrounding area is like by the university. Nice area? Safe? It appears that the university has a good reputation.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,761,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenton View Post

Thanks!
...north of the Wilbur Cross Parkway. The Merritt Parkway starts in Greenwich and ends at Exit 53 (Route 110) in Stratford.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 10-04-2008 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-04-2008, 03:02 PM

34,955 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarder View Post
Could you tell me what your opinions are on Quinnipiac University? I haven't visited yet, but I wanted to know what the surrounding area is like by the university. Nice area? Safe? It appears that the university has a good reputation.
The area around Quinnipiac is very safe. It is a suburban area and is surrounded in part by state park so it is almost rural. My nephew goes there and loves it. It is not big and everyone seems very friendly. This impressed my inlaws to the point where they agreed to send him there over the much cheaper state schools he had been accepted at. He brought home a couple of friends last weekend and they were very nice. I will say the school is a bit pricey but then again what private college these days isn't. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut