Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NH vs Stamford
New Haven 28 58.33%
Stamford 20 41.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:43 PM

186 posts, read 312,176 times

Advertisements

As you may know, NH (and no I mean New Haven) and Stamford have the best downtowns in the state hands down. However, which one is better. New Haven is currently the fastest growing city in CT with Stamford at a close second. Which is superior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 02:53 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Actually I think although New Haven outpaced Stamford from 2000-2010, in recent years Stamford has been growing at a faster clip - although it's close.

Are you talking about just downtowns or the cities overall?

I think they differ on so many different factors that it's really hard to compare.

New Haven wins on walkability, architecture, history, art/culture/museums/music, nightlife.
Stamford wins on economy/jobs, prosperity, overall low crime (whereas New Haven is only safe in certain areas, Stamford is mostly safe all around), schools.

New Haven has improved greatly in the past 10 years, but is behind Stamford in new development. Stamford had its downtown renaissance before New Haven did, and had a construction boom in the past 10 years. New Haven is just starting a construction boom.

They are close on food, but having eaten out extensively in both cities, I have to give the edge to New Haven on sheer volume and variety - and consistent quality. That's another effect of having so many colleges and hospitals nearby with disposable income and transient residents.

Stamford's big draw is proximity to NYC, New Haven's is being a college town.

This thread is going to get ugly in 3-2-....

Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguyfrompluto View Post
As you may know, NH (and no I mean New Haven) and Stamford have the best downtowns in the state hands down.

Can't say that i knew this.

Thanks for enlightening us.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 PM

642 posts, read 858,759 times
I am from Stamford and I really like both cities and as a (petite) woman I give them a tie. Here is why. I would like New Haven better if I felt safer there. I like New Haven better when I am with my husband. I would not like to be in New Haven when alone though. I like Stamford better when I am alone in the downtown area because I feel safer, can go more places and thus have a better time there.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:25 PM

468 posts, read 708,581 times
New Haven. More character, more walkable, all the amenities of Yale, great restaurants and bars, cheaper. Stamford is okay, too, and it's certainly economically stronger.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
I am from Stamford and I really like both cities and as a (petite) woman I give them a tie. Here is why. I would like New Haven better if I felt safer there. I like New Haven better when I am with my husband. I would not like to be in New Haven when alone though. I like Stamford better when I am alone in the downtown area because I feel safer, can go more places and thus have a better time there.
When do you feel uncomfortable and where? I'm just asking because many tiny Yale undergrads wander the downtown/Yale/East Rock area at all hours. I see single women out all the time during my workday.

Later at night might be uncomfortable in low traffic areas.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 PM

287 posts, read 623,515 times
I actually like Bridgeport the best.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
I actually like Bridgeport the best.

Black Rock ?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:31 PM

316 posts, read 723,818 times
I liked New Haven a lot back in the mid- to late-nineties when I lived there, and it was a lot rougher back then. The downtown area looks a lot better nowadays which is great to see

Old 01-15-2014, 10:28 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
When do you feel uncomfortable and where? I'm just asking because many tiny Yale undergrads wander the downtown/Yale/East Rock area at all hours. I see single women out all the time during my workday.

Later at night might be uncomfortable in low traffic areas.
I think what makes some people feel less safe in New Haven than in Stamford is due to all the vagabonds (maybe many of them are homeless?) that can be seen in downtown NH, especially in and around the Green. They give the area an odd vibe. That's something that is not much of an issue in Stamford.

As for the OP asking which is superior, I would say current population/real estate/economic booming trends speak for themselves. Having said this, I foresee a so-so future for Stamford, because the city is getting crowded and developers are simply building more units every year. Downtown Stamford probably has the best road infrastructure to handle large volumes of traffic and they are already quite full during rush hour. The good thing is that many people that live in downtown tend to walk where ever they are going, but the traffic nightmare is going to get worst because downtown is not the only Stamford neighborhood that is going through a real estate boom.

Aside from the traffic issue, everything else in Stamford will probably get better. More well heeled people living in the area means that the restaurant scene will inevitable get better to meet demand, shopping will also get more exciting, cultural venues and events as well, maybe even the nightlife will improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut