Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 AM

155 posts, read 552,629 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

Just bought a new house in Stamford.

I know that Stamford (and fairfield county in general) is considered part of the "NYC" market, but i would like New Haven Channels, especially CBS, because i'm a Patriots fan. edit: i guess the only CT cbs affiliate is WFSB in hartford?

Would it be possible to get some sort of high powered antenna for my home to catch the channels? Or is it considered too weak a signal to get it? Thanks.

Last edited by iypoon; 08-09-2010 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 PM

588 posts, read 1,872,470 times
Check out AntennaWeb - this seems to be the place for these kinds of questions. They have an app that allows you to put in your address and show not only what stations will reach you, but also what type of antenna they recommend to get these stations. From what I guess, you shouldn't have an issue getting signals from New Haven or possibly even Hartford. But that would require you putting an antenna on your roof.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:47 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
I believe most Fairfield County cable systems actually do carry the Hartford/New Haven network affiliates, even if most of it is a lot closer to NYC than Hartford (I know when Cablevision was blocking the NYC cable affiliate channel 7 for the first hour of the Oscars, a lot of Stamford friends told me that they could still get it on channel 8).

As for an antenna, you should be able to get Channel 8 from Stamford since it's in New Haven and not Hartford, not as sure about My Network TV 9 (the one in New Haven that is "channel 59" that still calls itself that although the NYC channel 9 is called "My TV 9") since it's a weaker signal. I would think channel 3 (CBS) or 30 (NBC) in Hartford much less likely, Stamford is as far from Hartford and northeast NJ is from Philadelphia (and I know a friend there who tried that with an HD antenna and it didn't work), so it's a similar comparison. You may get channel 20 from Waterbury too, as it's a little closer than Hartford.

Keep in mind that with HD you either get a good picture or you get none at all. When I was a kid I used to play with antennas as a hobby and see what "out of town" TV and radio stations I could get and I could usually get a fuzzy but watchable analog 8 and 20 even from the Bronx, but I doubt that would be true with HDTV now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut