Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 PM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid growing up in Branford, it seemed like almost every town in the area had at least one used paperback book store. As the years have gone by, they've been slowly and sadly disappearing from the landscape. Right now, I only know of 3 between New Haven and Rhode Island. The Book Swap (recently moved from it's long time Guilford location to Branford) The Book Barn (3 places in Niantic) and The Book Trader Etc. in Groton.

You can keep the convenience of a Kindle, there's just something about the tactile sensation of a book that keeps me attached to them. To this reader, there's just something about the sight and smell of thousands upon thousands of used books gathered together that's got me hooked. For those of a kindred spirit, where are your favorite used book haunts around the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:33 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
https://www.facebook.com/collectedst...kstore?sk=wall (the epitome of a dusty used book store - love it)

https://www.facebook.com/booktradercafe

R.J. Julia Booksellers | A great place to meet books... (don't know if they have used?)

Old 08-30-2013, 11:22 PM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times
R.J. Julia's is a great place but they don't sell used books. This is more like what I was going for.....minus the dude holding 50 books

Old 08-31-2013, 06:31 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Look up Tattered Pages in Monroe, the store is two floors of used books, and there is another used bookstore in Bethel, too. And of course there is always your local library with thousands of books that you can borrow for free.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 AM

363 posts, read 635,000 times
Collected stories on Bridgeport Ave in Milford

Collected Stories Bookstore - Home

Old 08-31-2013, 08:00 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
There's the Book Bank in New Haven - it's not a normal book store. If you need a book, go in and take it. If you have extra books, bring them in so others can enjoy them. It's part of a literacy project for underprivileged urban residents and their kids. I've brought in a few boxes of books in the past, and always find one or two books to take home with me. You don't get money for the books, but you don't pay to take one either. They're accepting childrens' books only at the present time, for anyone who wants to donate. They're renovating the center (it's only one section of New Haven Reads Organization), so you have to make an appointment.

Book Bank | New Haven Reads Book Bank | A Community Resource Center that Promotes the Power of Reading

The Hamden Library and the North Haven Library each have rooms where they sell used books and accept donated books. The funds go back to the libraries to support literacy programs for children and other unsponsored programs at the media centers. I donate around 3 boxes of books (somewhere around 75 books) every year to the North Haven library (I'm a voracious reader), and I usually find a few at each visit to take home with me, that weren't mine in the first place

There's Books & Company on Whitney Avenue in Hamden; it's a used book store and cafe. Here, you can trade books for either a *very* low cash value, or a higher trade value in store credit.

I don't know if it's still in business, but used-book lovers anywhere near New Haven should try to make the trip to Neverending Books on State Street. They're usually open Saturday-Sunday, between 3 and 5, and they also open "whenever" the rest of the week (really - they mean it - they just seem to be open spontaneously when the mood strikes).
You can find an explanation of their existence here:
Never Ending’s Story | Daily Nutmeg

I've picked up a few books off the sidewalk on days they've been closed, but I've never been in the area to catch them open. It's a free-shop, and it's been around for decades.

Last edited by AnonChick; 08-31-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 02:35 PM

4 posts, read 11,329 times
I know this one was mentioned, but Tattered Pages in Monroe is pretty good. Also there's a few in the downtown area of Bethel. At least 3 I can think of but I don't know the names of them. You could easily park and walk to all of them in one shot. There's another called Books by the Falls. It's on 34 in Derby.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,275 times
Default Used book stores

The Tattered Pages in Monroe has closed, but Books by the Falls in Derby, on Rt 34 is still open seven days a week and I highly recommend this store for their inventory of vintage paperbacks. John.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:42 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
The Book Barn in Niantic is fun. There are several locations in the town. I see that it was mentioned in the initial post but just in case people don't know about it, here it is. Still going strong.

The Book Barn

Old 03-10-2018, 10:27 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
There used to be a dusty old used book store in Bethel. Right here in the “downtown” part of town. Not sure if it’s still there though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut