Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 02:18 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Here enlies the issue, you think 55K in Fairfield County is a good paying job?? It sucks, plain and simple. It is now a starting wage for the young..or poverty level for a family. Think about how housing costs have increased, student debt, gas, medical costs etc over 15 years. It is close to 2500/month for a one BD in Stamford. How do you pay for all that on 3K take home? Cue the "spoiled glass touching millenials..oh, I scrimped and saved" crowd. Reality is that 45k was a great starting salary..over two decades ago. How can we still be in that range and talking about a "decent" paying job?? Mindboggling to me. How many are over $75k or $100k?
I thought the housing market is doing poorly and prices are down in Connecticut?

$2,500 is for a newer glitzy apartment in a luxury building in Stamford, not a starter apartment. A person just starting out would not be living in them unless they are sharing the place. This is no different than 20 years ago. Or 30 years ago or 40.

Starting salaries in major companies were not $45,000 two decades ago. It was a lot less. I was looking at jobs in New York back then that were paying only slightly more than that but I was not just starting out. Jay

Old 06-11-2019, 03:49 PM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I thought the housing market is doing poorly and prices are down in Connecticut?

$2,500 is for a newer glitzy apartment in a luxury building in Stamford, not a starter apartment. A person just starting out would not be living in them unless they are sharing the place. This is no different than 20 years ago. Or 30 years ago or 40.

Starting salaries in major companies were not $45,000 two decades ago. It was a lot less. I was looking at jobs in New York back then that were paying only slightly more than that but I was not just starting out. Jay
Sorry Jay but you are wrong. I lived it. Graduated college in mid-90s and lived in Northern VA. I was making $45k at 25 years old, started at $35k a few years ealier.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Sorry Jay but you are wrong. I lived it. Graduated college in mid-90s and lived in Northern VA. I was making $45k at 25 years old, started at $35k a few years ealier.
I don’t know but according to the US Census the median household income in 1999 was $42,000. I doubt the starting salaries were as high as or higher than the median income. Jay

https://www.census.gov/prod/2005pubs/c2kbr-36.pdf

Old 06-11-2019, 05:46 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yale continues its expansion. Milford Hospital is now officially a location/campus of Yale New Haven Health's Bridgeport Hospital. Temp signs went up quick! This is a good thing, as the hospital was struggling.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticu...tal/2061930503
I doubt it would have survived without this.

Good to see.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Out of curiosity, what companies have been hiring at insane clips in CT? I can only think of one that’s hiring a decent amount, but that’s about it.
excellent question

Old 06-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:

You have to acknowledge there’s a disturbing trend with HQ pulling out of the state, for whatever reason.
Amen. I do know a giant chunk of todays millennials want no part of suburban office parks.

They want to work in major metros, so they may opt to go everywhere w/o driving, and go right to have a fun night out very close to work, which they want very close to where they live.

In the 80s and 90s, no one wished to work in urban war zones (violent crime). Those cities are safe now, and fun to work, live, and have be entertained in.

We can't compete with them.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post

A two-income household at $110k in Fairfield County isn't poverty status, not at all. $55k for someone single no dependents even more so. .
55k nets someone about 3.5k per month, which means you should not spend more than $1,167 on rent per month. That means you best be ok living in unsafe, urban neighborhoods.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:

But again, the job creation numbers aren’t there. .
This might have much to do with it.

https://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/progsu...s/warn2019.htm

And we know soon we can add Forum Plastics and Star Firearms to this list.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:34 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen. I do know a giant chunk of todays millennials want no part of suburban office parks.

They want to work in major metros, so they may opt to go everywhere w/o driving, and go right to have a fun night out very close to work, which they want very close to where they live.

In the 80s and 90s, no one wished to work in urban war zones (violent crime). Those cities are safe now, and fun to work, live, and have be entertained in.

We can't compete with them.
Stamford is the only city in CT that can slightly "compete" with the Austin's, Denver's, Nashville's, Charlotte's or Portland's of the world. And Stamford is very expensive to live in.

Unfortunately, there are very few millennials moving to New Haven (dangerous reputation MOSTLY, pockets of decent around East Rock and Yale/downtown), Bridgeport (poor, dangerous and blighted), and Hartford (somewhat dangerous, blighted and a quiet downtown after 6pm).

Connecticut is a FABULOUS place to live if you are a high-earning couple (combined $350k+) with a couple of kids. Live in Fairfield or Hartford Counties and send your kids to excellent public schools, and pay $800k-ish for a 4 bed home, bucolic countryside, beautiful coastline, wooded hills dotted with farmhouses and mansions, and close to NYC and Boston. Boom, CT offers an amazing quality of life.

However, ^^this is a RARITY of achievement for millennials. Not only do millennials not want to live in a bucolic country setting and settle down, they simply can't afford it. Most millennials are much more poor than Baby Boomers, and even Gen Xers.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/67210...rents-fed-says

Inexpensive, fun, urban environments--with great economies--are where they seem to be flocking to.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Stamford is the only city in CT that can slightly "compete" with the Austin's, Denver's, Nashville's, Charlotte's or Portland's of the world. And Stamford is very expensive to live in.

Unfortunately, there are very few millennials moving to New Haven (dangerous reputation MOSTLY, pockets of decent around East Rock and Yale/downtown), Bridgeport (poor, dangerous and blighted), and Hartford (somewhat dangerous, blighted and a quiet downtown after 6pm).

Connecticut is a FABULOUS place to live if you are a high-earning couple (combined $350k+) with a couple of kids. Live in Fairfield or Hartford Counties and send your kids to excellent public schools, and pay $800k-ish for a 4 bed home, bucolic countryside, beautiful coastline, wooded hills dotted with farmhouses and mansions, and close to NYC and Boston. Boom, CT offers an amazing quality of life.

However, ^^this is a RARITY of achievement for millennials. Not only do millennials not want to live in a bucolic country setting and settle down, they simply can't afford it. Most millennials are much more poor than Baby Boomers, and even Gen

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/67210...rents-fed-says

Inexpensive, fun, urban environments--with great economies--are where they seem to be flocking to.
Wasn’t New Haven just named the No. 1 city in the country that Millennials are moving to?

You do not have to be making $350,000 per year to live well here. You don’t even have to be making half that amount. The median household income in Greenwich is $125,000. You telling me that 3/4 of the town does not live well? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut