Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 12:43 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,173 times

Advertisements

Also, the top 10 best schools in the US according to US News (if that meets your definition of stellar) are in low-cost states. Some places do "have it all" in terms of cost and quality. Doesn't mean every person should live there... we all have different preferences and cost isn't always #1. But if you're saying, on paper, these places don't exist you're wrong.

Source: Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News

Old 03-31-2016, 01:12 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times
I did some research in Richmond VA a few weeks back on houses. Found a good number of 3+ houses under $200K that's not bad compared to CT. Granted researching the job down there making $7 less an hour on average that's not terrible. Also add in better taxes, similiar school's, more job opportunities, better traffic conditions, better infrastructure, more low cost higher education options, better weather, and more outdoor activities that's a win win in my books.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:47 PM

503 posts, read 530,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
The average winter temperature in Hartford is 6 degrees warmer today compared to 1970? No.
Here's the document I pulled the quote from: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/clim...matechange.pdf Scroll down to page 6.

Other changes that have been observed in that timeframe are: more days with temps above 90 F, longer growing season, less winter precipitation as snow and more as rain, reduced snowpack and increased snow density, earlier breakup of winter ice on lakes/rivers, earlier sping snow melt resulting in earlier peak river flows, and rising sea-surface temps and sea levels.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:20 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,831,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Also, the top 10 best schools in the US according to US News (if that meets your definition of stellar) are in low-cost states. Some places do "have it all" in terms of cost and quality. Doesn't mean every person should live there... we all have different preferences and cost isn't always #1. But if you're saying, on paper, these places don't exist you're wrong.

Source: Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News
No low cost housing to get those schools and/or the salary is not on par with CT. Low cost doesn't only mean low taxes.

If you and others are so enamored with these states just move there already. Maybe the traffic will die down enough here so I can finally drive to NYC is less than 2 hours.

You and everyone else also fail to realize or refuse to acknowledge that the high tax high income areas such as CT subsidize the low tax states. CT only gets about 65-70% back in federal dollars for what in submits in federal taxes each year. How much does TX, FL, AZ, NC receive ?

Old 03-31-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
No low cost housing to get those schools and/or the salary is not on par with CT. Low cost doesn't only mean low taxes.

If you and others are so enamored with these states just move there already. Maybe the traffic will die down enough here so I can finally drive to NYC is less than 2 hours.

You and everyone else also fail to realize or refuse to acknowledge that the high tax high income areas such as CT subsidize the low tax states. CT only gets about 65-70% back in federal dollars for what in submits in federal taxes each year. How much does TX, FL, AZ, NC receive ?
Why does it have to be love it or hate it? I think CT is a great place - would choose it over many of these places for factors other than cost. But I can still acknowledge that not every other state is a slum. I mean come on, of course you can make a good salary in Richmond, Atlanta, etc. that is in line with the COL. CT doesn't have a monopoly on high paying jobs (and many here might say there aren't enough). That's all... geesh.

And, yeah, I certainly do think it sucks that CT subsidizes the low tax states as you pointed out. Not sure why that would prevent someone from also making a statement like those places could possibly, maybe, just maybe, also be pleasant areas to live in - in different but perhaps equal ways that CT is.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:37 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,831,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamshack203 View Post
Wow, are you a legislator in Hartford? My goodness, you don't know many people. I know plenty of people right here in Greenwich & Darien whose 30yr kids are in TX and FL and other low cost states (in banking) with their grand kids in those very schools. Or they are in northern VA or NYC, with kids in school.
You are confusing low taxes with low cost of living. Both together don't exist. IF you want schools and Govt services that meet or exceed CT standards you will be paying high taxes and/or a high cost of living.

I would love to hear stories of someone who moved to Kansas, Florida, or Texas for their stellar programs for handicapped or special needs kids. I would also love to hear stories of someone who moved to one of those states with a kid who scored 1600 on the SAT for their stellar public high schools that will academically challenge a kid on that level.

What we have here is the complete opposite. How many threads have been started on the CT forum by people seeking quality special education and/or educational opportunities for very smart kids ? Only about 1 per month I would guess. Now go count the same threads on the other states' forums. I think the answer will be zero.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:25 PM

Salary discrepancies are smaller than you might think. Just go to glassdoor.com and compare salaries for the same title within the same company in different areas. For example, look at Google. Average "Software Engineer" salary in HQ (Mountain View): $122k. In NYC: $133k. In Atlanta: $120k. In Austin: $118k.

How about try Aetna. "Customer Service representative" in Hartford: $35k. In Atlanta: $32k. In Dallas: $34.9k. In Jacksonville: $33k.

On quality of education... well, again, suggest you visit the USNEWS link I posted. None of the schools in the top 25 are in CT but plenty in FL, TX, AZ. It could be that schools in those states are either very good or very bad, with few in between, but if we're just talking about accessibility the quality is there.

But again, cost isn't everything for everyone. Someone would be a fool to move from a top tier CT town to a backwater town in Alabama to save money. No one's saying that. But we're just pointing out that you can find quality in any state, at many different price points.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:01 PM

37 posts, read 35,732 times
Quote:
You are confusing low taxes with low cost of living. Both together don't exist. IF you want schools and Govt services that meet or exceed CT standards you will be paying high taxes and/or a high cost of living.

I would love to hear stories of someone who moved to Kansas, Florida, or Texas for their stellar programs for handicapped or special needs kids. I would also love to hear stories of someone who moved to one of those states with a kid who scored 1600 on the SAT for their stellar public high schools that will academically challenge a kid on that level.

What we have here is the complete opposite. How many threads have been started on the CT forum by people seeking quality special education and/or educational opportunities for very smart kids ? Only about 1 per month I would guess. Now go count the same threads on the other states' forums. I think the answer will be zero.
If people valued the services you purport to be available in CT at a level superior to other states, then why isn't CT growing? Answer = people don't value the services and/or the services in other states aren't inferior as you have claimed. Its not only a taxes issue, its an all of the above issue: weather, economic opportunity, quality of services (value!) and taxes. Bottomline, if things are so good or so much better, then why more people leave, then stay?

Old 03-31-2016, 04:21 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
CT is nearly 1 billion red link starting July 1 you think it bad now wait till July and next two years.

360 state employees file for retirement - Connecticut Post

Old 03-31-2016, 04:40 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,430 times
Quote:

Ironically, it's the residents of CT who vote for such nonsense, not the ones in the states receiving the benefits. Can't imagine how that's their fault. If liberals in places like ct choose to vote in leaders that will enable jobless trailer trash to live subhuman, non contributing lifestyles, that's CT problem not low COL state problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut