Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 12:02 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
I can see the headlines:

Global warming. CT's savior.
2075: Come to Connachusetts and Island...once three states now one. The waters have submerged and transformed Rhode Island to an official Island with access only from CT. Come to this great escape where warm weather and warm water awaits you. Enjoy the mountains of Conneticut in the Berkshires and enjoy a rich art culture and strong historical heritage of the past. Enjoy an advance travel from Worcester the new Boston surrounded by the waters of New Boston Harbor. Explore and vacation under the oceans of Long Island Atlantis. Long Island recognizing the impending submerging of the Island built a sustainable bubble around the Island to flourish while the sea consumes it. Visit New New York in White Plains.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
As for the young people flocking to the suburbs of NYC, Boston, Chicago, St Louis, Miami, and LA, the property taxes in those areas are no bargain compared to CT's property taxes.
I think his point, and I agree, was if young people are moving to those big cities then they're not going to uproot and move all the way back to CT just for the schools. They will just go to the suburbs... even if the property taxes are the same, who cares, they're already there. Why would they need to leave their jobs, uproot their lives, and move.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:05 PM

453 posts, read 530,795 times
Quote:
TThere is no place in the United States with low housing cost, low taxes, and stellar schools. (you can also throw in nice weather if you want)
Areas of Texas and Florida for starters. Some DFW suburbs are on the same level as CT, with lower property taxes, no income taxes, and plenty of jobs. Go figure, DFW is exploding with growth and jobs, and they are diversified jobs. Just because it does not exist in CT does not mean it doesn't exist anywhere.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
Areas of Texas and Florida for starters. Some DFW suburbs are on the same level as CT, with lower property taxes, no income taxes, and plenty of jobs. Go figure, DFW is exploding with growth and jobs, and they are diversified jobs. Just because it does not exist in CT does not mean it doesn't exist anywhere.
Yup.. the suburbs in Richmond, VA also have excellent schools and everything is a lot cheaper there. If people are staying in/moving to CT it's for other reasons (and there are many great things about CT) but I don't see people making the choice of CT over one of these areas JUST on the basis of schools and taxes.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I think his point, and I agree, was if young people are moving to those big cities then they're not going to uproot and move all the way back to CT just for the schools. They will just go to the suburbs... even if the property taxes are the same, who cares, they're already there. Why would they need to leave their jobs, uproot their lives, and move.
Right. I agree that people stay in CT for the schools, but those who left are not coming back solely for the schools.

The list of cities is also not a very good one. Chicago has pension problems much larger than CT, St. Louis is a trainwreck of a city, and NYC, Boston, and LA are prohibitively expensive. Some cities in Texas/Florida, Minneapolis, and Denver are the prime combination of affordability, growth, and job availability at the moment.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:17 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
What you are and others are missing is that people here insist that people are moving because of taxes. THEY ARE NOT. There are a plethora of reasons why people leave CT but taxes isn't one. I would assume weather is probably #1 reason. I know I would leave due to weather alone.

Good luck finding cheap housing in any of the areas you mentioned. There's no 100k houses available in desirable areas of Texas or Virginia, or any other state for that matter. IF you do find some please let me know where they are.

We have already discussed this before. Memories are very selective and short around here.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 PM

37 posts, read 35,751 times
Quote:
This should be obvious, but I'm going to write it down any way. There has been and always will be migration from the northern cold weather states to the warmer south and southwestern states. This migration has little to do with taxes as you and others seem to think. CT has a number of programs to help mitigate taxes for seniors.

As for the young(er) people who are moving out of CT they will be back when they have kids. No CT native knowing what they do about superior CT schools will be sending their kids to public schools in NYC, Boston, Chicago, St Louis, Miami, LA, or any other city you can think of.

Now if we can import Florida or southern California weather to CT we would have people living on top of each other and those southern & southwestern states would be empty.
Wow, are you a legislator in Hartford? My goodness, you don't know many people. I know plenty of people right here in Greenwich & Darien whose 30yr kids are in TX and FL and other low cost states (in banking) with their grand kids in those very schools. Or they are in northern VA or NYC, with kids in school.

CT is resting on its dying laurels, the rest of the world is moving upward.

What you are saying is that there will be a boomerang of kids returning. To some degree that will happen, but it won't outpace the overall exodus. The recent population data already demonstrates this to be the case. This state was near dead last in job recovery since the 2008 debacle and that's not because of some sort of statistical anomaly or bad luck, but rather because of the real demographic trends and economic challenges.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
What you are and others are missing is that people here insist that people are moving because of taxes. THEY ARE NOT. There are a plethora of reasons why people leave CT but taxes isn't one. I would assume weather is probably #1 reason. I know I would leave due to weather alone.

Good luck finding cheap housing in any of the areas you mentioned. There's no 100k houses available in desirable areas of Texas or Virginia, or any other state for that matter. IF you do find some please let me know where they are.

We have already discussed this before. Memories are very selective and short around here.
People don't leave due to taxes? You're kidding, right? It's not the only reason, but of course it's a driving factor.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 PM

37 posts, read 35,751 times
Quote:

Don't worry, your 100k home will be worth 75k in 5 years when the next property tax/income tax reality hits this state to solve its enormous pension deficit.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Well, I mean some people are leaving just because of taxes, some are leaving just because of weather, others jobs, etc. I don't think any mass exodus is happening solely because of taxes. So I agree with you there. But it does happen. CT is great for many reasons but it is certainly not the cheapest place to get a good house, education, or job. I'm not talking about a fairy tale utopia here but even in a place where housing is 10% cheaper, taxes are 2% less, and you can still get a similar quality of housing, schools, etc. that is marginal difference is compelling for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut