Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 07:29 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
LOL Scott Walker changed his name ?
I didn't pay much attention to the WI debacle but I thought Walker only went after state employees. According to the U.S. Census Bureau Connecticut has 57,117 full time employees and 24,139 part time employees for a total of about 66,500 full-time equivalent (FTE) public employees. This counts both state and local town government.

That's another ballpark 210,000 Connecticut worker who are part of a union and not part of state government.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:31 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Just curious if anyone else feels this way:

All this talk about slow job growth, slipping real estate prices, taxes, people leaving blah blah blah...is this actually a blessing? I mean in the next 3 years we will see a major contraction again in the economy. Places like Texas Florida will again get nailed and prices drop on everything, unemployment drives up and fore closures skyrocket because the little boost they enjoyed was unsustainable?

I think ct is in a better position than most states because we are at the bottom and dropping any further is almost impossible. Once other states drop, ct will look really good.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:46 PM

610 posts, read 533,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

All this talk about slow job growth, slipping real estate prices, taxes, people leaving blah blah blah...is this actually a blessing? I mean in the next 3 years we will see a major contraction again in the economy. Places like Texas Florida will again get nailed and prices drop on everything, unemployment drives up and fore closures skyrocket because the little boost they enjoyed was unsustainable?

I think ct is in a better position than most states because we are at the bottom and dropping any further is almost impossible. Once other states drop, ct will look really good.
Florida did get nailed last time, but I understand has coming roaring back. And Connecticut didn't seem to gain much from other states' woes then, even though many suffered worse.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:55 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:

I mean for CT to improve it needs money and jobs, which can only come from people. People leave CT because of taxes, jobs, housing cost, high tuition cost, poor infrastructure, and weather.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:19 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I mean for CT to improve it needs money and jobs, which can only come from people. People leave CT because of taxes, jobs, housing cost, high tuition cost, poor infrastructure, and weather.
So based on this analysis why do you support Bernie Sanders?

Cut taxes cut spending enable the private sector to thrive. Which party is going to do that? Its the republicans.

Right now Bernie and Hillary want to raise the tax rate to 90%, they want to tell corporations what to do and what to produce.

You say one thing and do another it doesn't make any sense.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

I agree and have said it here before only to be poo-pooed by the naysayers. Connecticut's economy is such that it does not fall as bad as other states but the media likes to promote states that have massive growth. That massive growth comes after massive crashes. Not hard to have growth when you have no way to go but up. During the recession we saw many people coming here because there were job opportunities. A more stable economy is definitely better than a boom and bust one. Jay

Old 05-17-2016, 08:37 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Bernie wants to raise it to about 45% at most. I pay 25% in taxes think my rate with Bernie in charge go up to 32%. I am not keen on Bernie not setting limits for welfare and like Hillary's college plan better (Smaller to start and encourages people to work during college to be eligible for free benefits).

Don't want to go off topic here...We gave children who are starving in the US. Now not sure with CT I mean some teachers do provide supplies for their students, books, ckothes, and food. The poverty level grows the middle class shrinks and the rich grow. People are in poverty due to job's leaving the US due to past policies and cheaper lsbr. The blue collar class is changing to the minimum wage fast food class. You can see that in CT where there is a growing number of fast food restaurants. Big businesses go uncheck, find loopholes, store there money to be taxed in offshore accounts barely touched by State/Federal taxes, and when in trouble expect the Goverment to bail them out. Housing prices rise and wages struggle to keep up. Banks are not regulated enough old policies taken away and seen what happen with that.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:23 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree and have said it here before only to be poo-pooed by the naysayers. Connecticut's economy is such that it does not fall as bad as other states but the media likes to promote states that have massive growth. That massive growth comes after massive crashes. Not hard to have growth when you have no way to go but up. During the recession we saw many people coming here because there were job opportunities. A more stable economy is definitely better than a boom and bust one. Jay
The exact opposite is taught in MBA courses or any forward-thinking program for that matter. Imagine if corporate leaders had the attitude of " the more you gain, the more you have to lose. We are therefore going to cease innovation and halt efforts to capture more of the market so we don't fall as hard when the market crashes". It's pure silliness. end of story. That attitude is an excuse made by people who are blindly loyal and/or emotionally committed to a failing organization--be it a state, company, whatever.

Yeah, there's a few "boom and bust sectors" like high flux real estate markets such as Florida or finite resource industries like those surrounding oil "boom" towns. However, the vast majority are growing healthily. Boston, Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte, San Diego, San Jose, Denver, Austin, etc are not "boom and bust" metros. In fact, they will only become more attractive when their rising housing costs flatten and CT is still bending people over during the next recession. CT can choose to continue down it's grandiose path of unparalleled complacency all it wants, can make every excuse to not improve, but if it believes this is a long-term success strategy, then it's simply delusional.

As far as population change estimates for the recession, CT fared worse than those mentioned, so not sure what the argument is there. Here's a few randoms (in millions of people):

2005 | 2009 | change
---------------------------------
CT 3.51 3.52 0.01
----------------------------------
NC 8.7 9.5 0.8
TX 22.8 24.8 2.0
TN 5.9 6.3 0.4
MA 6.4 6.52 0.12

today CT is, well, not doing so good...
population is declining everywhere except FFC
Census: Only one Connecticut county grew in population last year | TrendCT

The current fiscal state of CT is awful during the "good times", you think CT is going to do BETTER when things get even worse? Taxes will go higher still, more layoffs, almost certainly more exodus.

Alright, I need to go, I need to go invest a few G's in some poor performing stocks so I can remain recession proof

Old 05-17-2016, 09:25 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Fundamentals for CT have changed. Not sure if the old "we rise less, and fall less" applies now. It seems "we don't rise anymore, but fall just as hard".

Old 05-17-2016, 09:35 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

Right now Bernie and Hillary want to raise the tax rate to 90%, they want to tell corporations what to do and what to produce.

Just want to point out that this is a complete and total lie. Shocking. Or not so much. You know party of personal reposnobility and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut