Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 02:04 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
To answer your question, jobs and programming to cable companies. The last time I looked ESPN was doing pretty good and employs over 2,100 here in Connecticut. That is a lot of good paying jobs. I also think that NBC Sports employs a few hundred at their new studio down in Stamford. If this channel took off the same could have happened in Hartford. Then again, I am not sure there was much of a market for another golf channel. Jay
I'm not denouncing the category-- My company produces Tech programming. I'm saying that this business plan was ill-conceived to begin with and all the funding in the world would not have helped.

It was a golf lifestyle channel. In other words, a golf channel without all those pesky golf tournaments. This was a stinker propelled by a couple of well selected wealthy and powerful board members and the complicity of politician from both sides of the aisle who were enamored.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
To answer your question, jobs and programming to cable companies. The last time I looked ESPN was doing pretty good and employs over 2,100 here in Connecticut. That is a lot of good paying jobs. I also think that NBC Sports employs a few hundred at their new studio down in Stamford. If this channel took off the same could have happened in Hartford. Then again, I am not sure there was much of a market for another golf channel. Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm not denouncing the category-- My company produces Tech programming. I'm saying that this business plan was ill-conceived to begin with and all the funding in the world would not have helped.

It was a golf lifestyle channel. In other words, a golf channel without all those pesky golf tournaments. This was a stinker propelled by a couple of well selected wealthy and powerful board members and the complicity of politician from both sides of the aisle who were enamored.

It was doubly ill conceived because there already is a Golf channel. Why try to compete, especially with something that has such a limited market to begin with. They would've had better luck with a cooking channel since almost every human has to learn to cook eventually.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:41 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Interesting that we started to talk about ESPN & NBC Studios and this...Malloy's plan would cap tax relief for ESPN, NBC Sports - Connecticut Post came out this morning. It's a slap in the face to be wooed by a State and literally a year later have the tax credit, which you promised, changed. It's a cheap shot by the Governor. While I agree some loopholes need to be fixed to put everyone on an even playing field. Corporations want stability and this new budget seems to lack that.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:32 PM

It is really sad to see so many cuts. Some of these cuts will result in lose of services which stinks because we (CT) pay such high taxes to get the great services. Now it seems like since CT can't control spending our services are going to take a hit.

Budget Miscalculation Means Another $60 Million in Cuts | NBC Connecticut

Must be nice to get a 12% raise, mess up and say opps.

How about that a $60m swing, in the wrong direction, on an "error." Seems like civil, judicial and education are taking the brunt of the cuts. These are areas CT excels in, keep cutting funds and we'll end up like Southern States.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:02 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
It is really sad to see so many cuts. Some of these cuts will result in lose of services which stinks because we (CT) pay such high taxes to get the great services. Now it seems like since CT can't control spending our services are going to take a hit.

Budget Miscalculation Means Another $60 Million in Cuts | NBC Connecticut

Must be nice to get a 12% raise, mess up and say opps.

How about that a $60m swing, in the wrong direction, on an "error." Seems like civil, judicial and education are taking the brunt of the cuts. These are areas CT excels in, keep cutting funds and we'll end up like Southern States.

Let made it 100 million

Old 02-24-2015, 07:27 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Interesting that we started to talk about ESPN & NBC Studios and this...Malloy's plan would cap tax relief for ESPN, NBC Sports - Connecticut Post came out this morning. It's a slap in the face to be wooed by a State and literally a year later have the tax credit, which you promised, changed. It's a cheap shot by the Governor. While I agree some loopholes need to be fixed to put everyone on an even playing field. Corporations want stability and this new budget seems to lack that.
These tax credits shouldn't be given out to begin with or at the very least they should be voted on by the public.

Disney owns ESPN and is Disney profitable ?

Comcast owns NBC and is NBC profitable ?

Don't see why they should need any subsidizing. In addition, Comcast keeps raising rates. Gotta love these cronies.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
These tax credits shouldn't be given out to begin with or at the very least they should be voted on by the public.
</snip>
Don't see why they should need any subsidizing. In addition, Comcast keeps raising rates. Gotta love these cronies.
Agree. Large mega-corporations don't need tax credits. They have the highest skilled accountants and lawyers that handle that for them already.

The money given to ESPN should have been used (and this is just IMO) to build/development 'homegrown' talent. I think if he (Malloy) wanted to make a difference, help middle class and bring jobs in he should have looked into something like incubators. In fact, since we have this busway, take the money given to ESPN and subsided a couple incubators along the busway. One near CCSU (plenty of land), one in West Hartford and another in Hartford (UHart, Trinity would be perfect even Lincoln Tech). Take the talents of the population of CT and build on that. Take some of that money and use it to pay mentors, for equipment and other needs that people could use to build on.

While, I am against large companies getting credits and money, it does feel like Malloy played them for a fool. He said "Here is $100M, build the baddest studio, top of the line everything you can think of. In addition to that, I will offer a tax credit to you." So, ESPN executives said, "ok, let's build XYZ, looking at the funds required and the tax liability, XYZ is what we can afford to build." So they build it, Yippy, CT world class studio, blah blah blah blah. Tax time rolls around Malloy says, "well, we (CT) is in need of money because expectations were not met, so ESPN, we are going to increase your tax liability." ESPN planned, built and executed a plan based on a stable tax structure given to them by the Governor. To have that swept out from under them hurts ESPN's budget and more important they now mistrust CT for that.

This goes for small and large businesses together. I know when I put forecast together for next years work it based on my trust that what was promised to me by my company will hold true. If my forecast shows a tax liability of $30 +\- and my company tells me they are having cash flow issues and now need $45, well that takes away from other things that I had planned on.

I think, and I could be wrong, but ^this might breed more of that "CT is not open for Business Vibe."

Old 02-25-2015, 07:15 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Let's just go straight into anarchy and call it a day

Old 02-25-2015, 08:04 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,491 times
Quote:
Agree. Large mega-corporations don't need tax credits. They have the highest skilled accountants and lawyers that handle that for them already.

The money given to ESPN should have been used (and this is just IMO) to build/development 'homegrown' talent. I think if he (Malloy) wanted to make a difference, help middle class and bring jobs in he should have looked into something like incubators.
I think that this is a vast misunderstanding of the state of the CT economy.

You don't need government to take money to make home grown talent because quite frankly government doesn't create any talent. All government does is redistribute income and then waste it.

If you have a manufacturer in the USA that has high taxes that is going to drive up the end cost of their goods. China is able to manufacture the same good at a lower price and the American company goes bankrupt.

That is why the middle class is being destroyed by high taxes. Its about competition and basic economics. CT has high taxes and a high cost of doing business and therefore cannot compete and is losing jobs. This is obvious to me but many voters don't seem to understand the relationship.

Lower taxes and let the people grow the economy. Let go of your obsession with controlling everything.

You can't control the economy or improve the economy. In the end you just make things worse.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I think that this is a vast misunderstanding of the state of the CT economy.

You don't need government to take money to make home grown talent because quite frankly government doesn't create any talent. All government does is redistribute income and then waste it.

If you have a manufacturer in the USA that has high taxes that is going to drive up the end cost of their goods. China is able to manufacture the same good at a lower price and the American company goes bankrupt.

That is why the middle class is being destroyed by high taxes. Its about competition and basic economics. CT has high taxes and a high cost of doing business and therefore cannot compete and is losing jobs. This is obvious to me but many voters don't seem to understand the relationship.

Lower taxes and let the people grow the economy. Let go of your obsession with controlling everything.

You can't control the economy or improve the economy. In the end you just make things worse.
I agree, I should have been more clear.

I don't think the Government should be getting involved in ANY private industry. Government is very good at paperwork and making roadblocks. But taking the less of the two evils, IF CT wants to give money out to either lure companies here or provide funds to foster small companies, use the money as a jumping block not an end result.

I think taxes not just on the working people but also on the business itself need to be looked at in this State. I'll be interested to see what the price, if any, to businesses in Malloy's new budget. Right now it seems businesses (small and large) along with services are taking the brunt of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut